General Tech What did you work on Today?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Spent the better part of the days this weekend attacking the bottom paint on the boat. Not sure what was used on the first coat but it wasn't bottom paint but thick, chunky stuff. Then the PO covered that up with a few more coats of actual bottom paint. The problem was it was never prepped right so it was flaking off badly. It took a surgical flapper wheel on the grinder, then a 40 grit, then 60 grit, then 80 grit pass with the orbital grinder to remove it. Nasty stuff. I'm about 75% of the way finished after 12 hours in 3 days. Gotta love boats.
View attachment 130685View attachment 130687View attachment 130688View attachment 130689View attachment 130690View attachment 130691
Good to see you up and doing what you want. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Finished up my welding cart. Made a little power box so I only need to plug one thing in, then either/both welders are ready as well as a 110v plug for grinders or whatever. No additional extension cord needed hopefully. :D

I used the runniest paint I've ever used, Krylon Fusion. I won't buy that again.IMG_20200910_093053098_HDR.jpgIMG_20200910_093101718_HDR.jpgIMG_20200910_120254685_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_093053098_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200910_093053098_HDR.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 5

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Finished up my welding cart. Made a little power box so I only need to plug one thing in, then either/both welders are ready as well as a 110v plug for grinders or whatever. No additional extension cord needed hopefully. :D

I used the runniest paint I've ever used, Krylon Fusion. I won't buy that again.View attachment 130769View attachment 130771View attachment 130772
Very good work sir. I need you to build me a multi-receptacle deal like that. I'm ascared of the lectrics.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Made a little power box so I only need to plug one thing in, then either/both welders are ready as well as a 110v plug for grinders or whatever.

Did you run a 4-wire cord or did you cheat on the 110 V like I did and use the ground as the return?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This.... makes we wonder about electrical stuff altogether....

So, the 240 just uses both legs coming into the box and a neutral common to both. It phases between the two poles. The fourth ground is for safety like you see for ovens and dryers. They actually split the circuit in those to run the times or other small electronics just like Carl did with that box.

You can take one of those poles and the neutral to make another 120v there just like Carl did. Should be fine as long as you're not running a bunch of things at once.

Source: I'm a backyard electrical idiot. So don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This is what i did inside my welder when i installed the 115 outlets. Did you put a fuse or breaker in line or do you have 30-50 amps to the 115v outlet? Mine has a full 50amps lol.
Full power. Only one leg, so 25a worth? Barely more than a standard 20a wall outlet. Right? Yeah.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
During our drive home from South Dakota on Saturday we experienced a hellacious wind storm. Just outside of Muddy Gap, WY I caught a visual in my mirror of my fuel compartment door flying open. Luckily it didn’t flip it up far enough to contact any paint but it did exert enough force to hyperextend the hinge causing the rivets to release slightly and the hinge have a gap between the backside and the steel compartment framework.

Tonight I drilled out the old rivets and replaced them with new ones to tighten the hinge back up against the structure.

Drilling and replacing one at a time.
d53fcda4d7e9110cb8c4151c05b2de6e.jpg

b22b5553f4f4b15e6e8b7b1931760fec.jpg

All six rivets replaced and ready to touch up the paint.
e59273dc3e0533ba447602427b22baa6.jpg

Completed. Rivets wiped down with some wax & grease remover then I applied some pewter and maroon on the respective rivets.
98b6d60894f79799c690a9e1d28d5dd7.jpg

Glad that wasn’t any worse. Upon inspection of why the compartment door came open the best I could deduce was that one of the strikers wasn’t extending all of the way to grab the receiver. I cleaned and lubed the latch mechanism and quickly found that the striker was extending further so I think that was the cause. I lube my latches annually but this particular mechanism seldom gets exercised because I use the small fuel fill door so I will have to make it a point to open and close the large compartment door more frequently to keep it exercised and moving freely.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
During our trip to Ouray, CO last month when we stopped for the night in Green River, UT my wife and I both caught a whiff of coolant when we got out of the coach. Seeing as how the engine is in the rear of our coach I thought maybe a hose connection where the bulkhead fittings come out behind the generator compartment. Upon arriving home from the trip I crawled under it and could not see anything leaking plus my coolant level was fine.

Tonight I thought I’d take a few minutes and disconnect a hose from the heater core to check and see if that could possibly be the source.
f1842bcfa33986d72f4fe6d7217e06a3.jpg

I added a short length of hose in which to connect my coolant pressure tester to the heater core.
70592c4b0e7075cc95adbd07edeb6eeb.jpg

5d4f8c9a09faf1fa573dd480b5490dd5.jpg

81fddffe4d53471b7d735de0b9daacc2.jpg

Heater core seems fine. It held 15 psi for over ten minutes.
75e53f727701b449fa8dc5c69a5ee49f.jpg

At this point I’m not certain where my smell is coming from but I’m not losing coolant so I’ll just have to keep an eye on things. After reconnecting the heater core hoses I did double check all four of the hose clamps on the heater hoses coming off the front rigid pipes at the front bulkhead. I found all to be snug and no crusties from coolant appeared so at this point I'll just keep monitoring (and sniffing). :rofl:

Thanks for looking.

Mike