General Tech What did you work on Today?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That should be real handy and I’ll be watching for updates.🤘 I’m currently collecting parts to build a wood splitting attachment to be run off my Kubota’s rear hyd. disconnects.
We've been using just the pallet forks for the last two years to work on the wood piles. They work OK, but being able to clamp down will be a huge gain.

I ran out of welding wire tonight, so all I got done was the extension for the jaw. Those trees are gonna be hurtin!

91D1C6A5-14B5-4206-9BC1-D35C0E430255.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My rear 3rd somehow ended up with a Landcruiser flange (maybe from the FZJ80 HP front I have?) and I didn't realize it until now. I went to put the d shaft in last week and realized it.

After chatting w/ @bryson about the simplest approach, I pulled a spare 4runner shaft apart and used that as a guide to drill the holes. Pulling the u-joint was the hardest part of the whole operation.

View attachment 137740View attachment 137741View attachment 137742
I can't believe you have the same name as your drive shaft. WHAT LUCK!!?

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Helping out on setting up wife’s 2-dr JL by building a sleeping platform. (Yes, she is short enough!)

46FBA908-1408-476A-8FED-78E7BBF19B3C.jpeg

01B90BA3-ECC0-4E26-A9C7-FD83D790E235.jpeg

43BE1F95-6052-4C0D-B242-5CC0844CB33E.jpeg

Hinged back allows her to get to her cooler, tools and recovery gear. 2x4 frame is u-bolted to the rear seat mounts using wing nuts so it can all be pulled back out in just a few minutes.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Several years ago, I bought a farm property with gravity-fed irrigation to water pasture grass. I was fine with the PO keeping his wheel line, but I kept a dozen 40’ pieces of his old hand line. After a summer of moving it 4x a week to get the coverage needed, I knew a re-design of my setup was needed. Anyway, it has evolved into what I finished today. Buried 4” pvc lines around the perimeter to multiple 2” risers with ball valves on each. I cam lock an “end gun” up top with a throw of 130’-150’ depending on average or peak pressure. After having marginal success (countering the forces applied by the gun) by using cemented posts and different braces/cables last year, I stopped messing around and strap to a couple 1200# landscaping blocks. 😂

Attachments

• 707E2851-6C25-4185-BA5A-CF3DA0DA20C0.jpeg
    707E2851-6C25-4185-BA5A-CF3DA0DA20C0.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 90BD677E-9206-4065-A8A4-BE9FB22E8A43.jpeg
    90BD677E-9206-4065-A8A4-BE9FB22E8A43.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 45

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I'm loving these smaller summer projects. Usually, each summer I take on a big one that has me working outside well past dark for a couple weeks.

A shed ramp is been something I've wanted since I got the shed. I put it off and wrestled the big mower in and out because with all my searches, I'd never found anything like this.

Here's the shed before.

View attachment 137883

I pulled the original threshold and cut the new one to match. I transferred the face-mounting holes to the frame and drilled and inserted rivet nuts. The paint-looking stuff is zinc to limit corrosion.

View attachment 137884

I got fancy and chamfered the holes because I found some tapered hardware in the shop.

View attachment 137885

Here's how the ramp sits in the threshold piece. It's really slick. This stuff is from Top Shed. I had to drive to Logan to pick it up, only because I wanted it today. Otherwise, I could have met a salesperson in the valley.

View attachment 137887

Here it is all mounted up. I need to figure out what I want to do with the area beneath and around the ramp. At the very least, I have to adjust the ground so the ramps sit right.

View attachment 137886

Next up is shed organization so I am not fighting with outside toys every time I need to pull out something for the yard.

That ramp and mounting solution turned out great Brent. Well done.

Mike

stimmie

A couple weeks ago I had a friend come in to work to get some new batteries for his camp trailer. Just before he left he said he had a bike to sell me. All he knew was it was a BMW 1200. I went back and forth in my head wondering if I should take on another project or not. Finally on Thursday I stopped by his house to check it out. His wife gladly took me out to the shed to show me the bike. 2000 BMW R1200C. Low miles. Rebuilt/restored title on it. Saturday morning I went to buy it. This time the friend was there and he told me that he had put about 17-1800 miles on it, and then it's been sitting in the shed since 2016 when he was transferred to California for work. It ran when he parked it, but he didn't do anything to store it other than stick it in the shed. I live roughly 1/2 a mile from him. I sure got my work out pushing that bike home! Out of shape guy like me needs that kind of exercise every once in a while. Had to take off the tank to get to the battery. I could tell the tank was full of rotten old gas. Almost 2 gallons worth. I think I'll need a new fuel pump, filter, and definitely new hoses. I'm hoping to revive the battery by putting new acid in it, but that doesn't look promising.

Anyone know a place a guy could take a tank to get cleaned and re-lined? All the lining is flaking off inside and that will keep causing issues if I don't take care of it before putting the tank back on.

Attachments

• Before teardown.jpg
    Before teardown.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Battery1.JPG
    Battery1.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Battery2.JPG
    Battery2.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 19
  • dented tank.JPG
    dented tank.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Fuel Filler.JPG
    Fuel Filler.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 19
  • fuel filter.JPG
    fuel filter.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 19
  • fuel pump.JPG
    fuel pump.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 19
  • inside fuel tank.JPG
    inside fuel tank.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Low Miles.JPG
    Low Miles.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 19
  • rancid gas.JPG
    rancid gas.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 21

Brad J

A couple weeks ago I had a friend come in to work to get some new batteries for his camp trailer. Just before he left he said he had a bike to sell me. All he knew was it was a BMW 1200. I went back and forth in my head wondering if I should take on another project or not. Finally on Thursday I stopped by his house to check it out. His wife gladly took me out to the shed to show me the bike. 2000 BMW R1200C. Low miles. Rebuilt/restored title on it. Saturday morning I went to buy it. This time the friend was there and he told me that he had put about 17-1800 miles on it, and then it's been sitting in the shed since 2016 when he was transferred to California for work. It ran when he parked it, but he didn't do anything to store it other than stick it in the shed. I live roughly 1/2 a mile from him. I sure got my work out pushing that bike home! Out of shape guy like me needs that kind of exercise every once in a while. Had to take off the tank to get to the battery. I could tell the tank was full of rotten old gas. Almost 2 gallons worth. I think I'll need a new fuel pump, filter, and definitely new hoses. I'm hoping to revive the battery by putting new acid in it, but that doesn't look promising.

Anyone know a place a guy could take a tank to get cleaned and re-lined? All the lining is flaking off inside and that will keep causing issues if I don't take care of it before putting the tank back on.
Nice Bike. It looks like it would be a drive for you but I have used and always recommend J-Mac in SLC (3520 S State St, Salt Lake City, UT 84115) http://www.jmacradiators.com/
They Boiled and lined a friends Gas tank from a 4 wheeler about a month ago and he was very happy with them.