General Tech What did you work on Today?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Very interested in this. I've only recently found his YT channel and I didn't realize I needed a vice like this.
You should make a vice build thread ;)

I'll take some pics as I put it together and share them when its done. The jaw blocks need a 1/4" lip milled into the metal block; I don't have a mill machine, so I'm currently out-sourcing it.

Here is a video of the vise for anyone interested:

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Friday evening I got a little work done on the Chevy Stepside for JJ (NICEGUY01).

Pulled the front hub assemblies apart and removed axle shafts before dropping the front axle out of the truck. As I was disassembling the front hubs I noticed that there were two different styles of hubs. One appeared to be the OEM GM/Spicer and the other was either a standard Warn of the Mile Marker knockoff. I contacted the owner and he ran and grabbed a new set of Warn Premium hubs for when it goes back together.
c101.jpg

My axle fixture came in handy yet again. Sure glad I took the time to fabricated this a couple of years ago. I only wish I would have built it 20+ years ago when I thought about how nice it would be to have.
c102.jpg

Front axle ready to mount into the axle fixtures on the fabrication table for disassembly and reassembly.
c103.jpg

Before closing up the shop Friday night I popped the cover off of the rear axle housing to allow the fluid to drain. Gears looked good and oil wasn't too awfully bad.
c104.jpg

I then shifted gears briefly as my order from McMaster Carr arrived so I thought I would knock out another small project for another RME forum member. A gentleman brought me a stainless steel keg that he needed some bungs welded in as he was going to use it on his rat rod project.

Saturday morning my son came over to service his wife's car so I thought I would hurry and knock out the keg project so he could help me lift the axle housing onto the fabrication table into the fixture.

Drilled a 2.25" hole and deburred it.
keg1.jpg

Then drilled a couple of .750" holes in one end and deburred them.
keg2.jpg

keg3.jpg

On the opposite end I had the main tap to close up and wouldn't you know it, the slug I cut out of the 2.25" hole was the perfect size other than the hole in the middle. I tossed it on my shop made argon purge box and welded up the center hole then metal finished it.
keg4.jpg

Tap hole filler cap metal finished and welded to the end of the keg.
keg12.jpg

More to follow......

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I then had to venture over to the lathe to machine some steps into the stainless steel bungs.

Two of the bungs were for a 1/4" NPT so I machined the step down to .750" to fit in the holes.
keg5.jpg

Test fitting before cleaning and welding.
keg6.jpg

keg7.jpg

Next I chucked up the 2" NPT bung and machined a step in it as well.
keg8.jpg

Ready to test fit.
keg9.jpg

Bungs welded in the end of the keg.
keg11.jpg
keg10.jpg

Forgot to take the last couple of pictures but I will get them tonight.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good info, thanks guys. I've welded a lot of galvanized in the past and never got sick, I also did my best to make sure I wasn't breathing it in directly.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
A few of my chimney pipes were delayed, so I wrapped this up instead. When I insulate the rest of the shop, I’ll take some of this down, add insulation, then run another 8’ of corrugated to the ceiling.

Attachments

• 41EF0637-7E5C-4AA5-8852-449A73E92BFB.jpeg
    41EF0637-7E5C-4AA5-8852-449A73E92BFB.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 7EAEA6FB-F4CA-43D1-893D-BDEAE4F33149.jpeg
    7EAEA6FB-F4CA-43D1-893D-BDEAE4F33149.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 49