General Tech What did you work on Today?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I trenched some frozen soil (with a rented machine) for like 3 hours and only got this much done. It sucked. I’m not sure how I’m going to get the rest done, especially the stuff on the north side of the house that is way more frozen.
View attachment 145795View attachment 145796
On the way back from returning the machine I decided it’s time to do some overhead shelves and get stuff off the floor. I got one done and I’m super happy with it. It’s 4x8 and you know I was sitting up there and hanging on it etc to test it. Don’t tell OSHA.
I will likely do a couple more just like it and then make nicer ones for the back walls.
View attachment 145797
It's supposed to warm up this week. That should help with the trenching. I don't see much rock in there, so you're a lucky man.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It's supposed to warm up this week. That should help with the trenching. I don't see much rock in there, so you're a lucky man.
Yeah the soil under the 8” of frozen awfulness is lovely and soft. Stupid winter.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I basically exploded my shop with a mess to swap my air compressor. I've had this beefy 110v V-twin for 14 years and I thought it was going out. Turns out the belt was loose and it needed a service... It now runs perfectly fine... Shoulda just put it back in...

But I thought it was toast and didn't want to tear up my bench without a solution (upgrade) first...so I got a used twin cylinder 20 gallon beastie from my neighbor and put a brand new 230v motor on it.
Pulled apart my bench and created a pulley system to lower it in and crammed the giant thing in and wired it up.

In an effort to simplify the hose routing; I took apart a brand new pressure switch--- what a huge mistake. Imagine a jigsaw puzzle that throws it's parts all across the room and cuts you whenever you do it wrong....
What a ridiculous way to spend a Saturday... I literally just finished. 15 mins to midnight...

In other news: if anyone wants to buy the most overpowered 110v air compressor ever made- it's now available.

20220205_231217.jpg20220205_232938.jpg

N-Smooth

When I was a kid digging post holes for a living, I learned to wet the ground where I was going to auger.

If you have a hose bib nearby, I'd spray/mark a line and then wet the area you're going to trench.
I was worried with the cold that would make it worse. It just needs to be warmer outside.

On a positive note I got the other garage shelf done. It’s not even full yet and it took so much crap off of my floor it’s majestic!
47AFA934-00E0-4121-9694-681A671CAF20.jpeg

Coco

On the way back from returning the machine I decided it’s time to do some overhead shelves and get stuff off the floor. I got one done and I’m super happy with it. It’s 4x8 and you know I was sitting up there and hanging on it etc to test it. Don’t tell OSHA.
I will likely do a couple more just like it and then make nicer ones for the back walls.
View attachment 145797
I really need to get these built in my garage. I plan to do a couple of these just like that, then build some shelves for the east side of the garage.

Pike2350

I've been continuing the demo of the bathroom. I got a quite to replace an old drum trap on the upstairs bathtub and reroute the drain a little to make room for moving a heating duct. They wanted WAY too much for a few hours of work. I started on it and after a little over and hour I am ready to rebuild.

However i. The process I found 2 issues...1 MAJOR. The vent stack had nothing supporting it execpt the galvanized drain pipe. Without it, it almost fell all the way to the floor and would've been inside the roof line. Luckily I got it supported temporarily. I will need to figure out how to run a new support strap somehwere in finished living space 🤔 .

The bigger problem is that I found out the carpenter ants had made a major highway through one of the rafters. It happens to be a major one that helps create the "hub" of framing in my quad level house. Now my bathroom remodel has expanded to ripping out a lo more drywall and finshed space to slide in a complete replacement. I am guessing to have some repair it for me, I am looking at $5k+

Attachments

• 20220207_203206.jpg
    20220207_203206.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220207_203217.jpg
    20220207_203217.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220207_210311.jpg
    20220207_210311.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 33

1969honda

Supporting Member
I picked up a second dirty bike for my little girl this weekend. I figured it would be a new top end but for less than $500 i wasn't to scared. Between this 2003 RM60 and the same year KX85 I picked up at Christmas they are the first two stokes I've owned in almost 30 years.

Tonight I pulled the plug and looked down the cylinder which prompted a jug removal.
20220208_194557.jpg
I think i found the low compression problem 🤣
20220208_205053.jpg

20220208_205110.jpg
20220208_205150.jpg

I think a new cylinder line and top wms kit will be in order. I'll take the had to work tomorrow and see what I can do about the scaring there.

Attachments

• 290627-1644104376-125327.jpg
    290627-1644104376-125327.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 6

N-Smooth

My garage organization mission continued today as I built two of these cabinet things from Sam’s club. Pretty nice units that fit a lot of stuff. I just kind of threw some crap in there so I really need to take time to plan a little more and get them settled where I want them… but I’m happy.
C669CADC-B736-4E45-9A49-13F8785B12F0.jpeg
EC5315A5-E6FC-4370-8ACE-9CE5260A818E.jpeg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I've got an account with millennium and it's like 4 months.

DAMN! I used to be a dealer for Millenium as well and loved their turnaround time. This was back in the 90's through about 2012 when we got out of powersports. They were usually within about a week depending on when I sent them. Several times I received them back in the same week. My how things have changed..

1969honda

Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads up! I'll call around to the platers and check lead times and prices. I might also see about the local machine shop pressing an LA sleeve in and going that way.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
While I am waiting for the next job to come into the shop I thought I would take a couple of nights and knock off a couple personal items from my list.

Last year I had aligned the headstock on my lathe. It took the better part of an evening in the shop but I finally got it nearly spot on. A few weeks ago I was machining a shaft for a neighbor's loader/skid and thought the part had a bit of a taper in it after some measurements. I wasn't sure if it was due to the shaft being so hard that it was deflecting from the cutting tool OR did my headstock come out of alignment again. Headstocks as a rule generally don't just come out of adjustment and when they do it is usually due to being crashed or moved. I had done neither but wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

On Monday night I grabbed my test piece and ran a few passes taking a few thousandths off each pass and it was spot on from where it was last year. It was .0001" off in about 6 inches with the smaller end being furthest away from the headstock. Spec's show it should be no more than .0004" in 4" so I am extremely pleased with that.

Since I had already made chips on my nice clean shop floor I thought I would lead in to my next small project that I have wanted to do since last fall.

As most of you know I hate, despise and even loathe noises in my vehicles. I go to great measures to rid them of any such noises. I have made several modifications to my Mac's Black Box over the years in order to deal with the weight that I carry in it. If I would just alleviate some of the weight such as my bottle jack/jack stand and some of my tools I am sure I could lose about a hundred pounds and probably get rid of this particular noise but I am not willing to be without certain things when I am traveling into the back country off-road. After the last couple of mods to the toolbox it has become nearly silent.......Nearly. Last fall after my last modification I thought I had finally achieved perfection but shortly after fabricating and adding the small glides to the rear edge of the box in which the drawer slides up on to for supporting the weight, I noticed a very, very slight "creak" when I either accelerate or stop abruptly. I found out that even though the box's weight is now fully supported by UHMW glides at the front of the drawer and aluminum glides at the rear which takes the transportation weight off of the drawer tracks it makes a very slight noise as the weight transfers fore or aft during driving. The drawer's latch is center and top of the drawer but the bottom moves ever so slightly in/out as the weight transfers. This is what I would like to address.

At first I thought about using a toggle clamp on one of the sides but there simply isn't enough room. My next thought was a couple of aluminum blocks with a pin through them to keep the drawer fixed in position during travel.

I thought I would machine two small aluminum blocks. One which will be located at the center bottom of the drawer and then another one just below it attached to the framework of the box. Then a quick release pin would hold the two together and therefore eliminate the slight movement at the bottom of the drawer. I dug through my aluminum drop drawers and found a piece that I thought would work for both.

After a couple of measurements I came up with a size and design, then transferred it to a piece of cardboard for my CAD drawing.
b1.jpg

Transferring my pattern to the aluminum block.
b2.jpg

Probably a little overkill but while I am at it I figured I would work to exact measurements for practice. Here I am squaring the block to size.
b3.jpg

Dead nuts right on the money @ 2".
b4.jpg

Next I located where I wanted the 1/4" quick release pin to be located.
b5.jpg

After reaming I test fit the pin. Perfect fitment.
b6.jpg

I then used a 3/8" end mill to come in to the radius.
b7.jpg

The other half of the block will need to be .7" thick. This will be the part that resides on the lower framework of the box. The block that mounts to the drawer itself will be a full 1" thick. This will allow the quick release pin to protrude below the bottom block just enough for the retention balls on the pin to fully release and therefore lock into the bores.
b8.jpg

I left about .010" of thickness in which I will remove once both parts are separated and I can flip them over and remove from the other side.
b9.jpg

Laying out the template on the lower block piece.
b10.jpg

More to follow: