General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Continued on with the machining for the blocks last night.

I know this is kind of crazy the amount of time I am spending on these things and waaaaayyyyyy overkill just to cure a squeak/creak. However, I have not used my rotary table a lot over the years and I thought seeing as how I have a lull in side jobs this week that I would try to sharpen my skills a bit and get some practice. Plus making chips is kind of fun. :bounce:

My Phase II rotary table was purchased many years ago at an estate auction and about the only thing I used it for over the years was to machine elongated slots in ignition timing plates for advancements/adjustments on various snowmobiles and ATV's when we were building a lot of 2-stroke engines for powersports equipment. Last year I tore it apart to clean it up as the grease was so hard it did not operate very smooth at all. After a major cleaning and polishing up some bores and shafts this thing works as smooth as silk now. The rotary table turns so easily and advances the table much more fluid than it ever did in the past.

I started by using a 3/8" end mill to create the two radii around the lower block.
d11.jpg

d12.jpg

I then went to the vertical bandsaw and cut the two blocks apart before the next processes.
d13.jpg

This is also overkill for a non-critical part but I wanted to play with my corner rounding end mills and put a radius on each of the two outer corners. More practice.
d14.jpg

I made this "quick setup tool" for aligning the rotary table several years ago after watching one of Tom Griffin's YouTube videos on Tom's Techniques. I machined a Morse Taper #3 on the big end and used a cut-down shoulder bolt for the shaft. I put it in a collet in the mill quill and then align it with the rotary table so it goes in/out easily and the taper auto-centers the rotary table in relation to the quill centerline. I had to dig through my machining box to find it. I should probably keep it more readily available when I put it away after this project.
d17.jpg

Centering slug in place in the center of the rotary table.
d18.jpg

Centering tool in 1/2" collet then the rotary table centered under it for easy in/out sweep of the quill then bolt/clamp the rotary table down to the mill table and the X and Y axis are zeroed out on the DRO.
d19.jpg

Next I used a .250" gauge pin to center the hole from the block over the center of the rotary table. This ensures the radius will be equal around the pin bore.
d20.jpg

Make certain that the part is in line with either the X or Y axis or you will be moving the radius off the center pin bore at an angle.
d21.jpg

Once the radius is determined, move the table away from the center position the proper distance PLUS half the cutting tool diameter. I also go a bit more so I have material for a final or clean up cut.
d22.jpg

More pics to follow......

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Continuing on.... The last few pictures from last night's work on the toolbox block.

The upper block out of the rotary table and ready to determine dimensions for the mounting fasteners. Originally I was going to drill blind threaded holes in the block and mount using button head screws from the inside of the drawer for a cleaner appearance. However, after an initial measurement I realized the the drawer bottom is actually about .700" above the actual bottom of the front of the drawer so access from the inside of the drawer will not work.

My next thought was to use threadserts which will work perfectly.

d23.jpg

Once I determined the dimensions for the mounting fasteners I moved back to the mill vise. I drilled the holes and then realized I would be taking these in and out a few times so I set up a stop for repeatability. Then used a pin gauge to center the quill and zero out the DRO.
d24.jpg

I measured the thickness and diameter of the head of a 1/4"-20 stainless steel socket head cap screw and countersunk the hole enough to allow full seating of the fastener.
d25.jpg

It sits a few thou lower than the surface.
d26.jpg

With the upper block completed (other than some minor chamfering) I moved on to the lower block to repeat the process.
d30.jpg

One other little detail I added was to recess the back of the blocks enough to clear the thickness of the threadsert, therefore allowing the block to fully seat against the drawer face without standing proud on the threadsert's face.
d31 (1).jpg

d32.jpg

Loosely fastened in place to ensure the bolt pattern was accurate and to mark the lower block.
d33.jpg

Made quite a mess of the mill last and my floor last night.
mess.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I finished up the toolbox retention block system for my Mac's Black Box last night.

I set up the lower block on the rotary table using the same "high precision" gauge pin process. Then cut the radius on the block.
b41.jpg

After an initial test fit I noticed that the retaining pin wouldn't completely drop through the lower block enough to allow the detent balls to expand. So rather than cut the lower block down I opted to machine a .100" recess in the top block to allow the quick release pin to sit down just enough that the detent balls would go all the way through the lower block thus locking in place.
b42.jpg

b43.jpg

Retaining pin sunken down slightly into the upper block.
b44.jpg

Mocked up on the bench.
b45.jpg

Next I mocked it up on the toolbox to see if my measurements were accurate between the mounting holes for the blocks and the retaining pin bores. It's a snug fit going in but due to using a reamer rather than a .250" drill bit.
b46.jpg

I opened and closed the toolbox multiple times to ensure repeatability and it is consistent. I also removed the small ring at the end of the pin in fear of that being a potential rattle.
b47.jpg

I could have left them raw aluminum but I wanted them to blend in with the toolbox so a trip to the bead blasting cabinet and then some semi-gloss black paint and it was time for final installation.
b48.jpg

b49.jpg

I don't think it is the best looking solution but it works and that's the important thing. I would have liked to not have had to do this at all or at least have been able to make it a bit more invisible but as long as it cures my noise, I'm happy.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
20220211_184638.jpg
Screwed together with 4" screws to lock everything TIGHT.

Need to make a quick run to the hardware store for some fat lag bolts for the anchor straps. But I'm excited to give it a go. Hopefully the 400lb/per rated locking casters are enough. It took me a while to find some with shielded and sealed bearings

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
For future reference go to A1 Casters in north salt lake. 👍
Yes! I've been there.
The ones I wanted were like $36 each there (too much for my cheapo stand). Found the same part # at CAL Ranch of all places for $11 each.
What I really wanted were the ones that retract so I could drop the stand on the floor but they were crazy nuts expensive.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
View attachment 146000
Screwed together with 4" screws to lock everything TIGHT.

Need to make a quick run to the hardware store for some fat lag bolts for the anchor straps. But I'm excited to give it a go. Hopefully the 400lb/per rated locking casters are enough. It took me a while to find some with shielded and sealed bearings
Jenga!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
what will make just as big a difference it to get all that drywall painted a nice bright white...
Agreed. I was dying to get it done before we moved in but we had to be out of the old house within 2 days of closing, mid-week no less. So now I’ll just have to tear everything out and paint it at some point.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I had intentions of stripping a Ford kingpin 60 to the housing but forgot that a bunch of the tools I need are in the Blazer, so I merely taught Kelsey why paying anything to have rotors and pads changed is just silly. And then she bedded them in properly and everything. Then I went and tried to diagnose a malfunctioning transmission, looks like broken flexplate or front pump. Advised to remove the inspection cover and let me take another look, next week. Went and visited Dwayne on the way home and drooled on his sweet lowered, patina'ed 59? Bug. It's just right.

I will have to go back and do axle stuff tomorrow.
20220212_134940.jpg