General Tech What did you work on Today?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I've done LOTS of bib mousses but this Michelin was by far the hardest ever. I even used almost two tubes of lube.
I picked up a new Michelin front bib yesterday. Noticed a pretty good price increase compared to my last one. Still totally worth it, but it’s interesting to see which items are affected by prod. cost, materials, inflation, or any number of other factors currently. 🤷‍♂️

RockChucker

Trans pan is down. Sending out the TCM and stand alone controller to zero gravity performance to get a custom OS flashed in the TCM and firmware updated in the PCS TCM2600. This will enable performance shift tables and low range shift tables that haven’t been working with the Holden OS that’s in the TCM right now.
203FD7A1-E0B0-441B-9DD6-163E67D31E5C.jpeg

Corban_White

Built a rack

PXL_20220113_234752683.jpg

Picked up some shower panels

PXL_20220114_185832559.jpg

Installed some sheetrock

PXL_20220114_195648959.jpg

PXL_20220114_213607323.jpg

And installed the shower panels

PXL_20220114_225641105.jpg

PXL_20220115_215530420.jpg

PXL_20220115_215626071.jpg

And got a piece of subfloor replaced.

PXL_20220117_234508854.jpg

All in all a pretty good weekend. All though back when I was doing this stuff professionally what I did in 3 days would have only taken 1. Oh well, it got handled and the project continues to move on slowly.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
New piston in the TX?
Yeah. It still runs ok and has ok compression but it cooked the o-rings a little brittle in the head. (I think it was leaking around the coolant pipe hose clamp on the head). So if I've got it on torn down, I'll almost always do a piston too.

Wiseco ProLite Forged. Yummmay.
20220119_112946.jpg

Here's the thing that makes me lose my mind though guys:

ProX cast piston kit - comes with piston, rings, wire locks, and wrist pin bearing,--- no wrist pin. $118

OEM KTM cast piston kit - (made by ProX or Vertex) piston, rings, wire locks, wrist pin ---no wrist pin bearing. $230

Wiseco forged prolite piston kit - comes with piston, rings, wire locks, wrist pin, ---no wrist pin bearing. $138 (the best forged piston available to the common man)

Numera hypereutectic piston kit- comes with piston, rings, wire locks, wrist pin -- no wrist pin bearings $90

Vertex cast piston kit comes with piston, rings, wire locks, wrist pin -- no wrist pin bearings $134

If you want a top end kit with gaskets, it's like $50-$150 more from each of these companies, meanwhile the OEM base gasket and orings together are about $10 & wrist pin bearings are $20....

Whyyyyy???! :rofl: What does the word "kit" mean to these companies? LoL who does a piston without a wrist pin bearing or gaskets?
Just charge a few bucks more So I don't waste my time.

glockman

I hate Jeeps
I've had good luck with the Vertex "kits" I always replace the wrist pin bearing and I've even used several Tusk Gasket kits without any leaks or issues. So I'll keep doing what has proven to be effective.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
I've had good luck with the Vertex "kits" I always replace the wrist pin bearing and I've even used several Tusk Gasket kits without any leaks or issues. So I'll keep doing what has proven to be effective.
I have no issues with tusk gaskets. I don't think you can buy a bad brand name piston these days. So long as you match the bore size and you have your jetting good I think you're good to go.
The real advantage to forged is if you're increasing power or compression and obviously if you're bouncing it off the rev limiter it's going to have better durability.
There's certainly something to the decreased friction of Teflon coated skirts and I believe they're able to remove some material for lighter weight because the Piston is stronger.
But again for what we're doing cast is probably just fine.