General Tech What did you work on Today?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sorry but I don't have too many details for you, it was part of the shop when I bought the place and I have no idea where it came from, it's 24" wide at a 45deg incline. It is great for a shop, big enough to get stuff up and down but doesn't take up too much room.

Thanks. That's exactly what I need, narrow, low depth (so steep).

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
@zmotorsports and @1969honda thanks for the insight, that's helpful. My plan was just to run a regulator/filter/dryer combo unit on the outlet side of the compressor (I'm open to recommendations?), how necessary do you think the auxiliary condenser type setup is in our area? My primary reason for drying is painting and at some point plasma cutting.

I did notice a difference when I added the auxiliary cooler while in my last shop. It would slowly degrade my air flow and start restricting the media when I was using my glass beading cabinet for more than about 20-minutes at a time. I noticed a difference once I put the auxiliary cooler/condenser in the system. I've now had it on my Quincy compressor for about 15 years. I am not running a desiccant style of water separator, merely a simple filter/regulator style of separator made by Parker like this one.

In addition, I also put one of these disposable inline moisture filters on the air inlet on my blasting cabinet was well as on my paint guns in the rare cases that I paint these days.
filter.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Made a bit more progress on the paint correction of the Camaro. Rear end completed using all three steps of compound and polish to reveal a deep luster.

I've painted quite a bit of candy paints in my day and this GM Crystal Red Tintcoat when the light hits it would rival a nice candy apple red paint job. LOVE this color more every day, even though it wasn't my first choice of colors when we were looking at Fifth Gen Camaros.

First step of course compound and white wool pad. Heavy swirl marks from the compound cutting into the clear. Masking tape keeps compound out of the crevices and cracks. There were a couple of deep scratches in the deck lid.
paint30.jpg

There were also some deep scratches on the upper rear quarters and two rather large ones on the sail panel on this side. With several aggressive passes they were gone, just swirl marks remaining, but the depth and clarity are already visible.
paint34.jpg

Second step using Finesse-It and a yellow wool pad quickly removed the swirl marks and really started exposing the beautiful finish.
paint37.jpg

This is after the third and final polishing step using the fine polish and a blue foam pad. This color rivals any of the candys I've sprayed over the years.
paint38.jpg

Third and final pass on the passenger's quarter as well. The sail panel and upper horizontal quarter panel turned out fantastic.
paint39.jpg

This shot really shows the passenger's side quarter and sail panel.
paint41.jpg

Driver's side quarter and sail panel weren't quite as bad as passenger's side but still had a few scratches. This side was a breaze.
paint44.jpg

All that is remaining now is the roof and the doors from the body line upward to polish and then it can be backed outside and a thorough wash and detail to finish it up before she's ready for the road.

With the beautiful weather we're supposed to have for this Easter weekend I hope to be able to get her out on the road.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I finished the paint correction on our Camaro Saturday then put some miles on it over the weekend.

The last third to polish out was the roof, tops of doors and mirrors. They turned out just as good as the rest of the car.

First step of the process, compounding.
camaro51.jpg

Heavy swirl marks visible along the A-pillar, mirror and top of door.
camaro52.jpg

Passenger side after compounding stage.
camaro55.jpg

The shine is really coming on with the second step, Finesse-It. Swirl marks are disappearing and gloss and clarity coming in.
camaro58.jpg

After unmasking it was driven outside for a thorough wash and detail job to get rid of the splatter. Saturday was a beautiful day and was the first day of the year to work with the shop doors open.
camaro69.jpg

camaro70.jpg

camaro71.jpg

camaro72.jpg

After washing and detailing all of the jambs were wiped down and underhood treated to a detail to remove any compound debris and dust.
camaro75.jpg

camaro76.jpg

Then took off yesterday afternoon and put some miles on her.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Mike - car looks great! Are those the original wheels? I like the look of them, they look OEM, but I didn't know they were offered in chrome.

Thank you. Yes, they are OEM wheels that have been triple chrome plated. I prefer the chrome vs. the painted version that the car came with. The previous owner had put some curb rash on 3 of the 4 wheels. I had looked for a few months but couldn't find anything aftermarket that I liked better than the original wheels. Then I found a company that would take the OEM wheels, touch up minor curb rash and triple chrome plate them so that was a win/win.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Is this your Camaro Mike? I was thinking it was work for a customer. Either way it looks phenomenal. My coworker has an orange Camaro with the pace car stickers from early 2010's that he daily drives. (this one) Its a fun car for sure.

I was wanting to detail my truck and clean off all the rail rust Saturday but was busy enough I couldn't fit it in. Hopefully I can find the time sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Is this your Camaro Mike? I was thinking it was work for a customer. Either way it looks phenomenal. My coworker has an orange Camaro with the pace car stickers from early 2010's that he daily drives. (this one) Its a fun car for sure.

I was wanting to detail my truck and clean off all the rail rust Saturday but was busy enough I couldn't fit it in. Hopefully I can find the time sooner rather than later.

Thanks Nate, yes this is our Fifth Gen Camaro. We sold our Harley CVO last summer and replaced it with a 4-wheeled toy. :D

I spent the first couple of months last summer/fall zero'ing it out and then thought I'd focus on the cosmetics over the winter. I just didn't realize "winter" would last so freakin' long so it's closer to spring getting it ready. :rofl: