General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Replaced another steering gearbox a couple of nights ago, this one on a friend’s 2006 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax, similar to mine. Kind of getting tired of doing steering gearboxes, and I still have my PSC to do on my Jeep.

ee3da58a97f014b4de6a6f8c1c3a036e.jpg

2a7f9a58720d590ea95e895babd86e02.jpg

Here's a video of the job that I posted to my channel.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

cajack

Bought my 05 LJ Rubicon with about 50,000 miles on it. It had a new engine put in at about 40,000 miles (Dealer). After reading and looking at the receipts it looks like the replacement was due to a bad OPDA. So I got out the flashlight and sure enough the factory OPDA was in there. Ordered a Crown unit and replaced it last night. Started right up and no codes (used the factory sensor). It had about 12,000 miles on it.(52,000 on the odometer) Showed no signs of wear, but the piece of mind is worth it. I can sleep well tonight.
tango_face_grin.png

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Bought my 05 LJ Rubicon with about 50,000 miles on it. It had a new engine put in at about 40,000 miles (Dealer). After reading and looking at the receipts it looks like the replacement was due to a bad OPDA. So I got out the flashlight and sure enough the factory OPDA was in there. Ordered a Crown unit and replaced it last night. Started right up and no codes (used the factory sensor). It had about 12,000 miles on it.(52,000 on the odometer) Showed no signs of wear, but the piece of mind is worth it. I can sleep well tonight.
tango_face_grin.png

Good move, those OPDA's were a bit problematic and prone to failure. Once that is corrected, that inline 4.0 should last a long, long time.

LJ's are sweet, still can't believe my son sold his after getting it all tricked out.:confused:

Mike

rholbrook

I was putting some new fork plastics on my KTM 300 and it had studs in the fork instead of bolts so i got to looking at it and noticed there was JB Weld around the base of the studs. The old plastic was a PITA to get over the studs. I was able to get the studs out, drilled, tapped and helicoils inserted and the proper OEM bolts installed. Looks like the PO over tightens them and instead of fixing them right, Afro-engineered them. Four out of the six were like this. I can’t believe it0C1DD760-57A4-4A27-8904-152A1846B85E.jpeg03995288-DF93-401C-8E72-EF207EBAF16B.jpeg82A515C7-579D-4E16-A4D4-631CDC5C0B37.jpeg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
So TurboMiniVan texts me last week to ask if I could weld up the shock mounts that he relocated on a miata.

he delivered them looking like this, cup tacked into the new location:
20180214_194316.jpg

so I made note of the location,pressed out the nearest bushing, pulled the mounting cups off and cleaned them up:
20180214_194328.jpg

Then went on to patch up the holes that were left when they were removed
20180214_194342.jpg

fitted up a patch, ground a bit, welded a bit and voila:
one down, one to go.
20180214_203140.jpg

no pics of the second one. He just picked them up.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Made this custom cover for mesha's trailer.
IMG_20180217_012225.jpg
Made it possible to open the tailgate without having to pull the whole cover off.
IMG_20180217_014533.jpg

Had some time to kill before another project showed up and finished the cabinet doors on the teardrop. Tried to make them as big as possible. Also making a shelf that'll slide out from under it.
IMG_20180218_155100.jpg

Used these hidden hinges.
IMG_20180204_182807.jpg

Now im taking out the mattress and gear to get ready for paint.
Had some sky blue mixed up.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
During yesterday’s storm my HF winch stripped its gears and dropped my plow. I have a hard time thinking that my set up is too much for it, and hope that it was just a bad winch. I put a new one on this morning, and decided to run through a snatch anyway. The new winch seems to be Moving faster than the last, even through the snatch.
Does anyone see a problem with how this is done? 1FE98345-1C99-457E-AB56-F411B98D1479.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just from a physics standpoint, the snatch isn't doing much of anything unless you get the hook connected up near the winch. (The distance from the hook to the snatch isn't going to change much when it is up and down)

Yeah, I wanted it closer to the winch, but didn't have time to weld a hook point.. looking at it in person doesn't seem so bad.. but in the pic it is for sure not in the best spot. I'll have to fix it.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I was putting some new fork plastics on my KTM 300 and it had studs in the fork instead of bolts so i got to looking at it and noticed there was JB Weld around the base of the studs. The old plastic was a PITA to get over the studs. I was able to get the studs out, drilled, tapped and helicoils inserted and the proper OEM bolts installed. Looks like the PO over tightens them and instead of fixing them right, Afro-engineered them. Four out of the six were like this. I can’t believe itView attachment 112157View attachment 112158View attachment 112159
I need to do this to the 150, but did not think it was possible without removing the fork tube from the base.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
@zmotorsports what does your polisher charge? I have a swingarm I need done.

It varies by size and shape, especially with more details like that particular tank. I did a fuel tank for a sand drag quad a couple of years ago that was pretty smooth as it had rolled edges and they charged me $50.00, this particular surge tank ran me $80.

I'm sure there are cheaper places out there but Metal Masters has been doing all of my polishing/chroming for about the past 20 years now and they do amazing work. I've won a lot of best in show and people's choice awards on my cars, bikes, sand rails and quads with their assistance on the bright work.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nothing too exciting this week.

I purchased our Toro MX4250 Timecutter last March after our move and having a larger yard. It has been a great mower but the last couple of mows last fall I detected a slight noise that I suspected as an idler bearing. It wasn't a squeal or grind, it merely sounded like a bearing starting to run dry and rough. Again I immediately suspected an idler bearing on the mower deck as it was only audible when the mower deck clutch was engaged.

I removed the deck from the mower last night and spun the idlers which felt perfectly fine. I then thought I hope it isn't a clutch assembly so I started the mower and engaged/disengaged the clutch a few times and it was quiet as could be. I had my son assist me lifting the mower deck up on the motorcycle lift so I could turn it on its side and not only diagnose but also clean out the underside of the deck.

As soon as I turned it on its side and removed the belt I spun the two blades still attached to the spindles and BINGO, found the noise. I had one spindle that was rough sounding and if I placed my hand on the deck and spun the spindle shaft I could actually feel the bearing roughness.
Luckily upon disassembling I discovered that they are merely standard 6203-2RS sealed bearings, two per spindle. I removed the bearings and cleaned everything up so I can pick up some bearings and replace them.

Toro MX4250 Timecutter with the mower deck removed.
5d6bf9c36b5bdf45c6755cabd8aa368b.jpg

Mower deck turned on its side to clean and disassemble.
7546dbc11c63ddbcf4e6a5db3358020a.jpg

Deck cleaned and spindle removed.
b4c8f83a807a6c9195336a59a0bd4475.jpg

Spindle assembly removed and ready for disassembly.
eebec8c528714ebf6b30ce97b661cd50.jpg

Bearing removed from the spindle housing.
766664f52e193de96d9ed9f0a66ad772.jpg

Tonight I’ll stop at my local bearing supply house and pick up a couple of bearings as well as an oil filter so I can finish up the ZTR and it’s ready for spring.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Good catch. Nice to avoid catastrophic failure in the heat of the summer.

Thanks. That was my thinking as well. Locate the noise and give it a good once over so I don't have an issue in the middle of the mowing season. Planned maintenance is ALWAYS better than unplanned.:rofl:

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Finished up the spindle bearing replacement on the Toro ZTR last night.

I picked up four FAG 6203-2RS bearings today and replaced the bearings on both spindles.
c895033876c2f4ccfaa94f64b8f55e4d.jpg

f5e72997bcdace54b88db59542cef66b.jpg

Prior to reinstalling the deck back under the mower I sharpened and balanced both blades.
20691dcfd7717a10c4e888a465889a86.jpg

Finally I changed the oil and filter in preparation for the upcoming season.

I also posted up a short video to my YouTube channel showing the repair.

Thanks for looking.

Mike