General Tech What did you work on Today?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So my 10 year old megacabs driver seat cushion was starting to show its age and the leather was starting to crack in the same spot. With us chasing the werock rock crawling circuit we often spend 10-12 hours one way in the truck so comfort is a must. Well my wife surprised me for my 30th birthday with new leather for the truck along with a new driver seat cushion. The rear seat got all finished up today. The fit and finish and detail was second to none. This was my first leather Install and we might start offering it as a service at the shop. It was a nice change of pace from the normal dirty greasy stuff we are used to.View attachment 112763

Those look amazing, nice install work!

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I’ve been working on getting my FZJ80 ready for Cruise Moab in May. The items that I wanted to address were:
-Communications: CB & HAM
-Dual battery
-Fridge
-ARB dual compressor
-LED light bar to replace some low output lights

13BE5BF1-94C8-4286-8C40-AD1687BF47BE.jpeg

A week ago, i started by removing my factory power antenna, and installed a kit from Wagon Gear that allows me to mount the CB antenna where the factory antenna was. I also ordered a splitter that allows using the CB antenna for AM/FM radio reception and CB transmitting.

3A012061-BB35-46D7-BF8A-E2A922C8FE06.jpeg

EA8FC67E-D8F2-4347-ABF9-D338D64B5AA1.jpeg

Once that was mounted and the coax was run inside the rig, I mounted the HAM antenna and coax.

87701648-D4A6-4FE9-BCC9-C2E62CE0F37F.jpeg

It sat like this for a week, and then Saturday, I tore into the interior to find a place to mount the CB and HAM. I decided to install the CB in the center console, and the HAM under the passenger seat.

799A547B-CA4E-4BD2-99A5-FC607718D580.jpeg

I wanted to have everything handy from the drivers seat, and hoped to use some of the wasted space where the factory sub used to be in the console. Knowing I’ll never go back to stock, I cut holes in the metal speaker grate to pass wires through, and mounted the CB pig tail, external HAM speaker, and HAM panel.

B0513E99-4C53-4B5B-AA2B-D95BD2D1D736.jpeg

I tested the SWR on the CB, and it was 1.5 across all channels, so I called that good.

Sunday I borrowed an antenna analyzer for the HAM from a friend, and it tested out at 1.1 on 2M.

B7DC19AE-91AD-4B6E-BE28-A192A3721976.jpeg

Tonight, I started working on the dual battery setup. I removed the washer bottle, compressor for my air lockers, and air cleaner to get the battery tray to fit. This is where I stopped because I need some more bolts to secure the tray, and I’m tired.

B5CD396D-933A-42F6-995E-857C60C867E7.jpeg

At some point this week, I’ll finish the dual battery system and get the HAM and fridge wired to the 2nd battery. The dual compressor will have to wait until I have more time to do it right.

4EB7B406-E766-4732-8F1E-CD0565124117.jpeg

Too much to do, too little time.

Agility Customs

Vendor
I’ve been working on getting my FZJ80 ready for Cruise Moab in May. The items that I wanted to address were:
-Communications: CB & HAM
-Dual battery
-Fridge
-ARB dual compressor
-LED light bar to replace some low output lights

View attachment 112772

A week ago, i started by removing my factory power antenna, and installed a kit from Wagon Gear that allows me to mount the CB antenna where the factory antenna was. I also ordered a splitter that allows using the CB antenna for AM/FM radio reception and CB transmitting.

View attachment 112771

View attachment 112774

Once that was mounted and the coax was run inside the rig, I mounted the HAM antenna and coax.

View attachment 112773

It sat like this for a week, and then Saturday, I tore into the interior to find a place to mount the CB and HAM. I decided to install the CB in the center console, and the HAM under the passenger seat.

View attachment 112775

I wanted to have everything handy from the drivers seat, and hoped to use some of the wasted space where the factory sub used to be in the console. Knowing I’ll never go back to stock, I cut holes in the metal speaker grate to pass wires through, and mounted the CB pig tail, external HAM speaker, and HAM panel.

View attachment 112776

I tested the SWR on the CB, and it was 1.5 across all channels, so I called that good.

Sunday I borrowed an antenna analyzer for the HAM from a friend, and it tested out at 1.1 on 2M.

View attachment 112778

Tonight, I started working on the dual battery setup. I removed the washer bottle, compressor for my air lockers, and air cleaner to get the battery tray to fit. This is where I stopped because I need some more bolts to secure the tray, and I’m tired.

View attachment 112777

At some point this week, I’ll finish the dual battery system and get the HAM and fridge wired to the 2nd battery. The dual compressor will have to wait until I have more time to do it right.

View attachment 112779

Too much to do, too little time.

You need to let me polish the scratches out of that thing, Those scratches on that black paint me cry inside

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So my 10 year old megacabs driver seat cushion was starting to show its age and the leather was starting to crack in the same spot. With us chasing the werock rock crawling circuit we often spend 10-12 hours one way in the truck so comfort is a must. Well my wife surprised me for my 30th birthday with new leather for the truck along with a new driver seat cushion. The rear seat got all finished up today. The fit and finish and detail was second to none. This was my first leather Install and we might start offering it as a service at the shop. It was a nice change of pace from the normal dirty greasy stuff we are used to.View attachment 112763
This looks awesome! Wonder if they can do that diamond pattern to fit JKU seats. Their website leaves a lot to be desired.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You will definitely get familiar with a few gas pumps before you get to Moab

Dempsey reports about 10-11mpg towing. I'm curious of my number. He has the 4.10 gears, I'm fairly confident I have the 3.73 setup. I'll probably use a little more in the hills and gain a little back on the flats? Can't imagine I'm worse than 9-10? With whatever turbo diesel I've had, I've not gotten more than 11-14 mpg towing. I won't have the turbo and I'll notice that on long climbs for sure.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Towing a steep grade at 70 or so pulling my jeep. That says 3 if you can't read it does it but it likes to Rev. Yes on average 9-12 towing. Hills definitely hurt the mileage. On flat I can tow 80mph easy. How many miles on yours. Would have loved to find a white one. I have the pewter color. I also have the 4 10s. 20180320_175337.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Towing a steep grade at 70 or so pulling my jeep. That says 3 if you can't read it does it but it likes to Rev. Yes on average 9-12 towing. Hills definitely hurt the mileage. On flat I can tow 80mph easy. How many miles on yours. Would have loved to find a white one. I have the pewter color. I also have the 4 10s.

I'd trade you white for pewter :D. I have 199k on it now. The leather is showing a little wear on entry/egress spots but other than that, mine is in fantastic shape. I think I'll get the seat bottoms recovered on the front driver passenger seats and call it done until I move on to the next tow rig. I'm surprised how much I like the motor. (it's a big block Chev...what's not to like?) I kind of want a mild tow tune for torque, exhaust and intake. I love the "Flowmaster" sound of a big block but don't want it in a wagon where it'll drive me nuts on long drives

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
You need to let me polish the scratches out of that thing, Those scratches on that black paint me cry inside

If you are willing for free...:D I will buff it out this summer. It generally isn't worth it to me to do since it will just get scratched up more on my next trip. However, the scratches are pretty bad. I will address it at some point.