General Tech What did you work on Today?

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I was looking to replace my old XD wheels and while shopping for new ones I decided to jump on the ol’ KSL classifieds looking for a slightly used set to save some cash. Found a used set of the same wheels I have (XD Badlands) for a really good deal. The chrome was pitting a little but they were a good deal so I pulled the trigger. My plan was to powder coat them, buy some new caps and be a happy camper. Took them to Armor Coatings and found they wanted me to have the chrome removed before coating. My “cheap” wheels quickly became not so cheap. Had the chrome removed and found the ‘bolts’ on the wheels were actually plastic and wouldn’t survive the coating process. Below is a pic of the bolts. This is where my mini project comes into play.
52962336-FA90-477C-890D-922067B95C2A.jpeg
889D46BB-EB56-43E3-9B08-81BF1BF5963B.jpeg
Once I got the wheels back from Armor I went to work in finding bolt heads that would mimic the stock plastic ones. I went to Cal Ranch (cheapest place to buy bolts BTW) and found a bolt head that would match. Cut off the threaded portion of all 36 bolts and ground them down leaving a small portion left so the JB would have something to grab. Used self etching primer and then a chrome spray paint to coat the bolt heads. Once everything had dried I hit the recessed portion of the wheels with a wire brush attachment on my dremel and then a small grinding stone to give the JB Weld something to grab. Got all of the bolt heads installed with the JB Weld and then let them sit for 24+ hours.
BBC474E3-6C9A-45AD-ABDA-DD4390FD9F7A.jpeg
Took them to my favorite Big O (South Temple downtown) to have them mounted and balanced. Corey, Bert and the dudes at Big O took care of me as always and made quick work of the mount and balance. I am absolutely stoked how they turned out. After buying the wheels, removing the chrome, having them powder coated, buying supplies to get the bolts cut down and installed then having the wheels mounted and balanced I was still $300-400 ahead of buying new wheels. Super happy with the final result.
Before
3EA30007-E705-42EE-9BCA-AF32FD63F387.jpeg
After
B9C00030-3C27-4314-B8C8-C8A25613D314.jpeg
My old (chrome) wheels will be in the classifieds tomorrow for cheap!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I was looking to replace my old XD wheels and while shopping for new ones I decided to jump on the ol’ KSL classifieds looking for a slightly used set to save some cash. Found a used set of the same wheels I have (XD Badlands) for a really good deal. The chrome was pitting a little but they were a good deal so I pulled the trigger. My plan was to powder coat them, buy some new caps and be a happy camper. Took them to Armor Coatings and found they wanted me to have the chrome removed before coating. My “cheap” wheels quickly became not so cheap. Had the chrome removed and found the ‘bolts’ on the wheels were actually plastic and wouldn’t survive the coating process. Below is a pic of the bolts. This is where my mini project comes into play.
View attachment 113304
View attachment 113305
Once I got the wheels back from Armor I went to work in finding bolt heads that would mimic the stock plastic ones. I went to Cal Ranch (cheapest place to buy bolts BTW) and found a bolt head that would match. Cut off the threaded portion of all 36 bolts and ground them down leaving a small portion left so the JB would have something to grab. Used self etching primer and then a chrome spray paint to coat the bolt heads. Once everything had dried I hit the recessed portion of the wheels with a wire brush attachment on my dremel and then a small grinding stone to give the JB Weld something to grab. Got all of the bolt heads installed with the JB Weld and then let them sit for 24+ hours.
View attachment 113306
Took them to my favorite Big O (South Temple downtown) to have them mounted and balanced. Corey, Bert and the dudes at Big O took care of me as always and made quick work of the mount and balance. I am absolutely stoked how they turned out. After buying the wheels, removing the chrome, having them powder coated, buying supplies to get the bolts cut down and installed then having the wheels mounted and balanced I was still $300-400 ahead of buying new wheels. Super happy with the final result.
Before
View attachment 113307
After
View attachment 113308

Nice job, those turned out great and accent the truck perfectly.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Posted my video of the TJ bumper & tire carrier build to my channel last night. Owner picked up the Jeep on Tuesday night and ready for the next project that came through the door.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Reactions: DAA

rholbrook

View attachment 113304
View attachment 113305
View attachment 113306
Before
View attachment 113307
After
View attachment 113308

How does one remove chrome? How much did they charge per wheel if you dont mind me asking?

Evolved

Less-Known Member
How does one remove chrome? How much did they charge per wheel if you dont mind me asking?
I don’t mind at all. I took them to a place called Crown Plating in Salt Lake. It was a pretty wild place to visit, the work area looked like something out of a Batman movie. They charged me $150 to remove the chrome on all 4 wheels. The guy said the majority of the cost was to dispose of the chemicals needed to remove the chrome.
A0CAA861-BDD6-40D9-8FD1-8AAA7454F80B.jpeg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Lowered my motorcycle scissor jack 1/2" tonight.
It was so obnoxious still having to lift a bike 1/2"-5/8" off the ground to slide it under. I cut as much as I could without having to do major reengineer. It's only 3/16" off the ground now.
And I got to play with my Tig.

IMG_20180419_222418.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_222418.jpg
    IMG_20180419_222418.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I have been so inundated with work lately that Saturday was “dig my ass out day” and I want to clear my white board.

I’ve had this flywheel from a 1931 Ford Model A in the shop for nearly a month now and I’m sure the guy is getting anxious to get his car back together.

He wanted me to lighten the flywheel approx 12-14 pounds, emphasis on closer to 14 lbs.
Started with a 62-pound flywheel.
2hcj1vb.jpg

Had to remove the gap for this one.
2w348lh.jpg

Dialing it in on the 8” four-jaw chuck.
24pmn0k.jpg

Outermost ring turned down.
2rc6gd2.jpg

Next diameter turned off. I stopped each pass just shy of the previous pass to create a changer that I could come in and clean up later.
2wnbon9.jpg

I turned my compound slide to cut a 30-degree chamfer outward towards the ring gear. With the Bork g bar upside down I turned the lathe backwards to cut the chamfer.
111730h.jpg

Surface finish turned out great.
2ynq6f9.jpg

Weighed it and got an idea of how much more to remove.
2mhdhdj.jpg

Cut a step just down from the pressure plate mounting then cleaned up the chamfers on each step.
2iudvrn.jpg

Weighed it one last time and landed at 13.8 pounds removed. Perfect.
2zocjz8.jpg

Called the owner to come and get it and I moved on to the next item on the white board.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Last edited: