General Tech What did you work on Today?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Here is what I have been working on. My daughter's 96 XJ had horrible rust issues that I didn't want to tackle so I found a 97 body in great shape but missing tons of parts because it had been parted out. I then swapped the 96 drivetrain into the 97 and scrounged up a bunch of parts to replace what was sold off the 97. Here is a shot of one of the rust holes and the now blended multi colored Jeep.

Attachments

• 97xj.JPG
    97xj.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 20
  • rust hole.JPG
    rust hole.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 20

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
After spending $1,300 on new fluids in the diffs and tcase, and having the rear diff rebuilt to fix a noise and vibration (all of that didn't fix it but needed to be done), I found the cause tonight... a u-joint failed on the front drive shaft!

20180823_205005.jpg

20180823_204952.jpg20180823_232317.jpg

20180823_232248.jpg

20180823_232258.jpgTo add insult to injury, I ruined one of the new ones I bought installing it, so I couldn't put it back together tonight.

Tomorrow I'll get another u-joint and have it put in, then put it all back together next week cause I'm going camping and wheeling this weekend in the 80.

On the plus side, the GX is even more sporty with just rear getting power!

20180823_195602.jpg

DAA

Been working on this for awhile, but getting to where I can finally see the finish line.

Pulled up about 500 sq/ft of carpet the dogs had totally trashed and replacing it with porcelain tile. Couldn't come up with anything more dog proof than that. Least not that might look decent. They won't be able to scratch it no matter how hard they try. Can't chew it. Can't stain it. Can't trap odors or hair. After seeing what was actually UNDER all the carpet, I kinda never want to have carpet again :D.

My first attempt at any kind of flooring, or finish carpentry. Bailed on trying to cope tight radiused MDF and did 45's in the corners, but my last few bull nose corners didn't need any caulk.

Doing these 4' long tiles is hard. I made absolute certain I have 100% coverage on all of them though. Prepped the crap out of the subfloor, used a decoupling membrane, left generous expansion joints everywhere they should be, I think the install is rock solid. It's turning out okay I think. Which, is a youtube miracle, since that's all I had to go on learning to do this stuff was youtube. Got a couple spots with lippage that stands out like a ten thousand foot peak in the middle of the salt flats, to me, but nobody else has noticed them yet.

Daughters bedroom, done (except for assembling a whole room of 16 year old girl selected Ikea furniture, that was no fun...).

2018_Home_Tile%20Project-3W.jpg

2018_Home_Tile%20Project-1W.jpg

Hallway before doing any of the finish work. Six, S-I-X freaking doors at the end of this hall. Three into carpeted rooms, one linoleum, one into existing tile, one with the new tile. All different heights of finished flooring. Crash course in transitions, notching tile and working in tight spaces. It felt real good to get out into the open field in the front room by the time I finished this.

2018_Home_Tile%20Project-10W.jpg

Into the open field in the front room.

2018_Home_Tile%20Project-11W.jpg

One of the reasons for not just getting new carpet. Pulled the carpet off those stairs yesterday, redoing them in solid maple.

2018_Home_Tile%20Project-12W.jpg

Progress. And the other reason for not just getting new carpet.

IMG_3646W.jpg

The last tile has been laid. Yippee!

IMG_3656W.jpg

IMG_3663W.jpg

Still gotta redo the stairs, do the rest of the trim/molding and paint, but the hard work is done.

- DAA