General Tech What did you work on Today?

4x4_Welder

Make sure to do coil boots and torque the plugs to 15ft/lbs. I fought a misfire and pinging on an Expedition, the "senior tech" had just done a tune up two weeks ago, so the shop owner didn't want me wasting time looking at the plugs. Well, six hours of diagnosing chasing everything else, I pulled a coil and found melty boots with loose plugs.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
No pics but today I did spark plugs in everyones favorite 5.4 F*rd...... hopefully stupid misfire goes away
Oh yes. I did that this last summer. Had to extract 4 plugs that broke off. The extraction tool really is a life saver. Still had misfiring on two cylinder (with new coils) so I checked the part number on my new plugs. They were not the updated part number so I pulled them all back out and put in the updated part number. Good to go.

TRD270

Web Wheeler
Make sure to do coil boots and torque the plugs to 15ft/lbs. I fought a misfire and pinging on an Expedition, the "senior tech" had just done a tune up two weeks ago, so the shop owner didn't want me wasting time looking at the plugs. Well, six hours of diagnosing chasing everything else, I pulled a coil and found melty boots with loose plugs.
I found before I did this that 3 coils have been replaced, 5 were original. I replaced the other 5 today. I'm a little worried the plugs weren't the cause. The ones I pulled out all looked in pretty good shape and gapped properly..... all were the same motorcraft plugs I replaced them with. I had already tried swapping the coil on the cylinder that was giving me fits and it threw the code again which is why I decided to do plugs, because it also gave me a P0300. I haven't driven it since finishing it, and it would only do it before after "long" periods of time on the freeway. Pretty sure something still isn't right because it seems to be missing still, I haven't brought it up to temp yet though.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Saturday my son and I cut the spare tire well out of his WJ floor.

We then cut his tank skid. We removed a 6.5" section from it to tuck the tank up tight to the underside of the body.

We then cut a 5”x2.75” hole through the left rear frame rail in which to run the fuel fill tube and a couple of vent lines through. I’ve seen people cut a hole in the floor and build a box to house the fill tube inside the rear cargo area but I don’t think that looks like a very clean mod so we opted to keep everything outside and under the Jeep undetected. I also saw one guy who cut a 2" hole with a hole saw through the frame section and used a piece of exhaust tubing which looked like a nice job but it didn't account for the other couple of hoses that needed to reach either the fuel fill or the charcoal canister. This will allow adequate space for all of the hoses and not crowd them.

Hole cut in the inside rail.

After boxing with 3/16" plate, fully welded and painted.

Outside of frame rail, behind the charcoal canister.

I don’t have any pics of the skid once it was trimmed and welded for some reason so I’ll have to get s couple tonight.

Mike

Reactions: DAA

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Yesterday after we returned from breakfast I had a couple of things I wanted to do in the shop.

I have grown tired of chasing my cutoff disks around the drawer so I machined a few aluminum standoffs and secured them in the drawer as pegs to store a few of my more commonly used cutoff and grinding disks.

Done. That should keep things in place. I’ve wanted to do that for several months now but either didn’t have the time or I’d forget until I grabbed another cutoff disk then I would remember.

Later in the day our winter storm settled in.

Mike