Finished up my setup for now, and set backlash and checked my pattern. How does it look to you professional people? The coast is pretty much the same, I tried to get a pic, but the prussian blue is kinda dark and hard to photograph. My first time setting up gears, and personally I think they came out good, but need some real input.
It's hard to read the pattern in the pictures. Personally I don't like using the Prussian Blue for this reason. I prefer using actual gear marking compound in either yellow or white as it is much easier to read a pattern as well as it doesn't smear or drag like the bluing does.
I had a quick little job for a friend that’s been sitting on my workbench for the last week or so and I wanted to knock it out last night.
Some Honda hubs that I understand are no longer available in the correct size. I was commissioned to turn the hubs down approx. .041” to match one that was destroyed in a race. I received two used hubs and two new hubs to machine to the correct diameter.
Notes displaying the amount needing to be removed.
Chucked up in the lathe and confirming runout is minimal.
Taking the initial .020” cut.
Final cut. Dead nuts on.
The studs in the two new hubs are very close to the inner step so here’s a good use of an O2 sensor socket.
Two studs removed and two to go.
The last operation is putting a small radius at the root to eliminate the possibility of stress cracking.
All components machined, studs pressed back into the two new hubs and ready to box up and ship back to their owner.
That was a fun little project and hopefully once I get my son’s Jeep completed I can get more little projects like this in to keep me occupied.
New intake manifold on my wife's Explorer, the old one did the standard plastic corrosion thing and pushed out the seal under the thermostat housing.
Difference between old OE and new Dorman:
There's a lot more meat under that housing, and a different seal style so hopefully this'll be taken care of permanently.
Next up new tires, all four brakes, all four struts, upper control arms, and a transmission. So much for a tax return.
Didn't take any pics, but I pulled all my control arms off his weekend and serviced the Johnny Joints. They weren't making any noise or giving me any trouble, but with 100,000 miles on them, I thought it couldn't hurt to pull them all down for an inspection, clean and grease. Most of them looked like they'll be good for another 100,000. Rear uppers were a bit worn though, so I rebuilt them.
Don't think I'll notice anything different driving, but nice peace of mind knowing they are all in good shape, cleaned and greased. As long as I got all the snap rings in good...
I'm not much of a decal guy, but those are awesome!
The Rubicon hood decals on my LJ are all tattered and half the letters are scrubbed off from contact with trees and brush. I was just going to remove them completely and be done with it, but my daughter pitched a fit, so I have brand new OEM Rubicon decals waiting to go on when the weather warms up and I feel more like messing with it.