General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Last night in 3 hours, I turned this

Into this

Looks like a fun project. I had an XR600 a few years back that I bought from the original owner and tore it down to the frame for a complete rebuild and one place I noticed some issues were right at the bottom of the frame where the downtube and the front of the swingarm pivot join there were several small cracks in the tubes and welds. Upon research I discovered that this was a common place for cracks on the CR and XR chassis so you may want to inspect that area very thoroughly for any cracks. I TIG welded mine up before sandblasting and paint and never had any further issues for the 8 or so years I had the bike.

Just thought it worth mentioning while you have it down this far. Keep the pics of the project coming.

Mike

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Looks like a fun project. I had an XR600 a few years back that I bought from the original owner and tore it down to the frame for a complete rebuild and one place I noticed some issues were right at the bottom of the frame where the downtube and the front of the swingarm pivot join there were several small cracks in the tubes and welds. Upon research I discovered that this was a common place for cracks on the CR and XR chassis so you may want to inspect that area very thoroughly for any cracks. I TIG welded mine up before sandblasting and paint and never had any further issues for the 8 or so years I had the bike.

Just thought it worth mentioning while you have it down this far. Keep the pics of the project coming.

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. I will be cleaning and blasting the frame today.

UPDATE
Frame looks good.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
@zmotorsports that bumper looks great!
Thank you. This was hands down the most intricate bumper I have built to date. That WJ has such a big ass it was hard to make it look nice. Took me a couple of attempts out of cardboard to get some lines I was happy with. Even then I cut the first piece of steel and tacked it in place and had to remove it and start over for the third attempt. It looked too Mad Max~ish and not in a good way.

Mike