General Tech What did you work on Today?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
what's with the 5 different blade pieces? is there a reason they aren't equally sized or just a single piece?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
I don’t know why I waited so long to get one of these...

View attachment 121100
View attachment 121101
View attachment 121102

This thing is awesome!
You will like it. It's a nice tool to have for smaller projects and is well thought out. I've had mine for several years and finally got around to painting it about a year ago. I would like to have a larger press brake as well as a pan brake but just can't justify the footprint for the projects that I do so this one fits the bill nicely.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Last night after arriving home in triple digit heat I mowed my lawns and then cut down my pole jacks in the shop. It was a little cooler in the shop @ 93 degrees.

I have been doing a lot of suspension work lately and have discovered that a shorter pole jack or two would be beneficial. Summit Racing had these Sunnex 1500 lb. capacity pole jacks on sale a couple of weeks ago so I ordered two of them.

The Sunnex ones are actually a little nicer than my NAPA ones that I’ve had for about 8 years now so I decided to cut my older NAPA pole jacks rather than my new ones.

I figured ones in the 38”-42” would be ideal so I removed them from their base and cut about 22” off of each one. I then had to machine a small amount off so they would slip into the base.

After test fit I marked where the 5/8” hike needed to be drilled for the retaining pin.

One down and one to go.

Those should work perfect with a collapsed height of 31” and a raised height of around 52”.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
what's with the 5 different blade pieces? is there a reason they aren't equally sized or just a single piece?
This video will explain much better than I can. :cool:

You will like it. It's a nice tool to have for smaller projects and is well thought out. I've had mine for several years and finally got around to painting it about a year ago. I would like to have a larger press brake as well as a pan brake but just can't justify the footprint for the projects that I do so this one fits the bill nicely.

Mike
I've used it to bend up some brackets already and it's amazing how much time I've saved so far. And the bends look quality! I'm really liking this thing.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been wanting to get one of these, @Herzog did you get the standard or HD version?
I got the standard because I tend to work with smaller materials and only up to 1/4" most of the time. I figured if I had the need, I could modify it myself to have a larger bottom plate, which is the only difference.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Knocked another item off of my white board Saturday morning. I fabricated my grease gun holder that I have kept putting off for way too long.

I have had my grease guns in a drawer under my workbench placed on absorbent pads for the past two years and after greasing my Jeep suspension the other night and dripping oil all over my shop floor I decided to bump it to the top of the priority list. This heat we’ve been having has been separating the lubricant from the carrier and when I pick the guns up to use all of the oil runs out the bottom of the plunger. By having them hang it won’t prevent the oil from dripping but should at least eliminate the pooling and a gush of oil pouring out when I pick them up to use.

I started with some 3” ABS tubing cut into 12” increments and played with spacing.

After correct spacing was determined I cut the 1” square tubing to the necessary length and then drilled the holes for mounting the tubes as well as mounting the complete rack to the wall. By using the tube it also creates just enough spacing away from the wall to allow access to remove the bottom caps for cleaning when needed.

I then cut some 1” PVC into 2” lengths which will form the cup to secure the coupler at the end of the hose. I deburred and cleaned up the ends on the lathe.

Tubing all cut and prepped.

Coupler receivers and mounting tube painted and drying while I machine the .5” spacers.

Spacers machined and ready for assembly.

First one assembled.

All five assembled and ready to mate to the mounting tube.

Securing using 10-32 nylock nuts.

Using the masking tape trick to keep from dropping the nuts into the square tube while assembling.

The assembly ready for installation onto the wall.

Loaded with the grease guns for years of use and easy access.

Gained back one of my large drawers under my workbench.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I got the standard because I tend to work with smaller materials and only up to 1/4" most of the time. I figured if I had the need, I could modify it myself to have a larger bottom plate, which is the only difference.
I appreciate your input on this @Herzog I've been eyeing one for a few weeks now.

Do you think the H.D. version would also work well for smaller materials, if a piece of angle iron were laid onto the lower plate before bending?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
I appreciate your input on this @Herzog I've been eyeing one for a few weeks now.

Do you think the H.D. version would also work well for smaller materials, if a piece of angle iron were laid onto the lower plate before bending?
Yes, and it even says that in the directions. (which is kinda a sore spot for me, since I called and talked to them before choosing the standard version....if he'd mentioned that option, I would have bought the HD)

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Yes, and it even says that in the directions. (which is kinda a sore spot for me, since I called and talked to them before choosing the standard version....if he'd mentioned that option, I would have bought the HD)
Awesome, thank you Carl!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

As Carl said, yes! Some people cut a bunch of different size angle and stack them to get the right size they want. Hopefully I don't regret not going with the HD version, but I wanted to keep it simple for what I do.

I also just added an air of hydro 20 ton jack from HF. Super nice not having to jack the dumb handle a ton to bend something.

Diesel_Zuk

Hauled home a Sidekick. Pro tip: If somebody says you can borrow their ramps, make sure to ask them to ensure they're actually available. It took me a about an hour to load this non running thing up with low tires. I had to jack up the front of the trailer, then use pallets, a come along, and a spare axle shaft to get this thing finaggled on the trailer. It sucked.

Reactions: DAA

UT410

On jack stands.
Supporting Member
A wall in my shop has a bunch of junk decorating the walls. Over the years, I've cut up a couple tailgates and hung the pressed portions up. I had casually kept my eye out for a late seventies or early 80s Toyota tailgate and just recently I found a pretty roached one.

5181_zpsiml6mqlx.jpg

It was blue and white like my old Ford one but I wanted something that looked more 80s. Plus, I like messing with little projects every so often.

20190709_084612.jpg

I tossed the piece in with some items I brought to the sand blaster.

20190709_095918.jpg
When it came back, it sat around a while until I could get to it.

20190710_132526.jpg

I primed it and sprayed it white. Then it sat around some more. The other night, while I was rewatching a class of mine, I taped it up.

20190731_000806.jpg

Then over the course of a day and a half, I painted the letters in a familiar color pattern. It came out so-so. I plan to outline the letters and then distress it a little which will help the low quality paint job look more fitting. It should look pretty neat hanging up on the wall. I'm happy so far.

20190731_195834.jpg

I purposely took a pic from 8 feet back... can't see all the issues that way. Haha.

Can you feel the 1980s from here?

Last edited: