General Tech What did you work on Today?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have mentioned in other garage discussion threads that I built a loft in the 3rd car side of my garage. I have only had a couple of florescent to light it. The lighting wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as I like for working on the bikes plus there is only 6 feet of height up there and the florescent is prime for banging your head on. A friend of mine who is an electrician told me about these cool LED lights that flush mount. With his help we installed 4 of them today.
20181216_151740.jpg

Power supply
20181216_143809.jpg

LED unit

20181216_143818.jpg

Looking from my ramp into the loft
20181216_173030.jpg

While we were at it we ran an outlet for the parts washer I bought from @BlueWolfFab
20181216_155807.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Built a new kitchen table:

I need to build a new base like that for my dining room table since the current one has the legs exactly in the way of your knees.
Only problem is it needs to expand to add the leaf. I'm thinking a pair of oversized drawer slides or rig up something home-brewed.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I replaced the brakes on my sons car last night. It was a learning opportunity for him. If he had mentioned they were making noise when the indicator was rubbing, it would have cost $30. Instead he waited until it was metal on metal and needed new rotors.

The back side of the metal on metal rotor was the worst I've ever seen!

20181218_004527.jpg20181218_004533.jpg20181218_004553.jpg

Gawynz

Moving into my new house trying to get crap organized. I've got room in the shop so I figured i'd park my trailer inside, the only issue is I couldn't back it in to where I wanted due to the shop/driveway layout. Trailer is beef, ~3700lb. I had some scrap wood laying around so I picked up a couple cheap HF 600lb ridged casters and threw this dolly together. The jack foot sits atop it and allows me to swing the front end of the trailer left or right by hand. I can back the trailer in to the correct depth and then swing the front end over ~10ft to get it where I want it. Worked out surprisingly well. After I move the trailer I remove the dolly to avoid potentially damaging the casters.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Started to replace the lower control arms and outer tierod ends on my GX 470. Also installed some spacers on the front struts to get a little more height and level it out.

New parts waiting to be intalled.
20181226_175849.jpg

Getting the alignment cams out was a total BIYATCH! On the passenger side I ended up cutting the front one to get it out. The Driver's side came apart super easy thankfully.

There was still a fair amount of mud caked on everything. Amazing how much falls off when you hit stuff with a hammer and air hammer.
20181227_020644.jpg

20181227_020612.jpg

New arm next to old arm.
20181226_230150.jpg

20181227_020700.jpg

20181227_020635.jpg

I was about to start assembling them when I realized I was missing new cam bolts for the rear mount. I'll return some of the stuff I wont need and get the 2 cam bolts I do need.
20181227_020625.jpg

While I was out searching for tools, I felt inspired to buy a new 19mm socket. I've been using Harbor Freight impacts and had my 21mm grenade a while back. Well, turns out it was a good thing I bought a new one cause the hazard fraught 19mm cracked while I was using it. I'll be replacing all my HF crap now. :mad:
20181227_004524.jpg

Hoping to have it back together Thurs night, then get an alignment Friday and turn it back over to my wife to drive again.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Wrapped up the install tonight after making a quick trip to Home Depot to replace some more HF crappy tools.

I used copious amounts of anti-seize on the new cam sleeves and cam bolts so I can hopefully have the alignment adjusted in the future without destroying the bushings in the new arms.
20181227_214054.jpg

20181227_214104.jpg

I went for a really short test drive and realized I know nothing of setting up this thing for proper alignment. I will take it in tomorrow morning to get that sorted out before I turn it over to my wife again for family hauling and carpool.

It is sure nice being able to park both trucks in the shop! Now I need to keep the shop clean so I can keep 2 cars in there through the winter.
20181227_221629.jpg

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been working on getting electrical sorted out in what I'm calling "shop build phase 1." Its consists of (5) double gang boxes of 110v outlets split between two breakers and (4) additional 220v outlets also split between two breakers. The 110 outlets are 48" above ground and the 220 outlets are 55" up.

Everyone knows that no matter how well you try and plan or organize a move crap just gets put everywhere anyway and thats what happened with us when we moved in 2 weeks ago. After some shuffling I was able to get both our cars in garages our first night at the house. (Really not that impressive...) After setting up some big costco shelves I was able to clear more space and start to organize a little.

AuIyhAGl.jpg

Boxes mounted on the "phase 1 wall."
65DQI56l.jpg

Second lumber rack up along with my finishing and nuts/bolts bin shelves.
j30LOlxl.jpg

Conduit in with wires and outlets partially installed.
a98vC6ml.jpg

Sub panel.
UTKfYDBl.jpg

To finish this up I need covers for the 220v twist lock receptacles. Lowes had them for the range/dryer size outlets but those are too big. I can't find them on the HD website so rather than crossing my fingers that they will have them I may end up just going to an electrical supply house at lunch today. I bought all my outlets and breakers for this project (and phase 2 and 3) off amazon and saved about 50% while also getting a better quality product I think. The 110 outlets are commercial grade and I had wanted different colors to match the different circuits but didn't justify spending more for that.

Phase 2 is outlets in the ceiling for costco LED lights and an ambient air cleaner and phase 3 is to extend the outlets from phase 1 to the back and side walls as needed after using the shop for a while. I bought plenty of wire, conduit, and other supplies for both of these so I'll get phase 2 going sooner rather than later.

pkrfctr

Mounted 2 ARB twin compressors and got them running. Compressors are mounted to the driver side inside the tuffy rear deck. The wiring runs behind the rear seats to distribution blocks. 200 amp fuse on 4 awg runs back to the power blocks. 9 gallon air tank underniether and air chucks front and rear.

Attachments

• 20181228_101125.jpg
    20181228_101125.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20181228_115236.jpg
    20181228_115236.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 20181228_115401.jpg
    20181228_115401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Mounted 2 ARB twin compressors and got them running. Compressors are mounted to the driver side inside the tuffy rear deck. The wiring runs behind the rear seats to distribution blocks. 200 amp fuse on 4 awg runs back to the power blocks. 9 gallon air tank underniether and air chucks front and rear.

Watch the heat out of those compressors, they'll melt hose right out of the comoresssor.