General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Turned another Model A flywheel last night for a gentleman from the local Model A club, removed 13 pounds.
8b3c6a6386bae0c6e1a3d102d209739e.jpg

Set it up in my 8” 4-jaw chuck.
5f34af89204bc1222fbec7c99cc46825.jpg

Completed and ready for the guy to come by the shop and pick it up.
6dce7917eed5a15ed520d65568839884.jpg

Next will be clean up duties. I hate closing up the shop without cleaning up but I was beat last night and just locked up and called it quits for the evening. Machining cast iron has got to be my least favorite material to machine. That crap gets everywhere and it is so abrasive. Vacuum and wiping everything down is about the only way to keep it out of the ways, you don't want to use compressed air as it will force it under the wipes and into the ways and screws. You can also see I had to remove the gap in the bed as this is about the largest diameter I can turn on my 13x40 lathe.
3bef52658c7e869676cd85791d1af212.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

The_Lobbster

Trying to figure out a new power steering and cooling system on my samurai. Then made the ultimate decision to drop my rig back to spring under axle. Although it'll kill my ground clearance, it'll help me be able to daily it better, especially after I throw some smaller tires under it. My 1:1 Tcase, 3.73 diffs, and 33's, are killing my clutch. Lowrange is great, but daily driving in high in traffic really sucks.

46982738321_26ed1dc8ca_c.jpg

Reactions: DAA

Gawynz

Well a few months ago I bought a house that I have all torn apart (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen) for drywall repair, paint, flooring etc. I've got 4 dirt bikes; two of which I need to sell but are in the process of being rebuilt. I've been planning on redoing the suspension on my buggy all winter until I got distracted with house projects. I've taken a hiatus in beer brewing which I'd like to pick back up. Similarly, I've fallen behind in reloading/shooting. I need to finish organizing my shop, build a few benches, and put away tools after the move. I really need to start working out more diligently. So with this growing list of "to do's" and coming to the realization that I have too many projects on top of the travel/events/activities I'd like to do... I bought a Jeep! :rofl:

For a while now I've kept an eye out for an fun, inexpensive, daily driver I could use to run around town, go camping, explore mild wheeling trails and back roads. I wanted a 4x4, something small, manual transmission for fun, a cool oldish vehicle to work/practice on. I'd pretty much narrowed down my search to a Suzuki Samurai or a Jeep Comanche. So after a year or more of casually looking on KSL/Craigslist I came across this Comanche.

20190121_153326.jpg

It's a 1990 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L I6, 4x4, short bed. When considering MJs I really wanted the short bed as opposed to the long, I wanted the big motor and AX-15 trans, also I wanted factory 4x4; this met my wish list and on top of all that it was located about 35 miles from my house at a good price. At a glance, the things ugly as hell haha, I don't know what the meth was going on with the custom paint job, but I couldn't believe how little rust it has. Everything from the doors back is pretty straight, the front fenders and hood need reshaped/replaced to fix some dents. The truck runs and drives, though not great. When in 4 wheel drive the front drive shaft is spinning but no pull from the front end, so some axle work required. After doing some research, the parts that need replaced/fixed seem relatively cheap/easy to find. So I loaded it up and brought it home.

20180303_121407.jpg

20190203_105907.jpg

20190203_105242.jpg

So now it's a matter of self control... My plan is for it to just sit for the near term until I cross a few other projects off the list, but I'm pretty excited. :cool: :beer:

The_Lobbster

Picked up some 5.13's for my samurai. Not sure I wanna mess with swapping them into my steel thirds myself though. Anybody know any good shops in Utah county that do good work?

47005951641_a688a53b40_c.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well a few months ago I bought a house that I have all torn apart (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen) for drywall repair, paint, flooring etc. I've got 4 dirt bikes; two of which I need to sell but are in the process of being rebuilt. I've been planning on redoing the suspension on my buggy all winter until I got distracted with house projects. I've taken a hiatus in beer brewing which I'd like to pick back up. Similarly, I've fallen behind in reloading/shooting. I need to finish organizing my shop, build a few benches, and put away tools after the move. I really need to start working out more diligently. So with this growing list of "to do's" and coming to the realization that I have too many projects on top of the travel/events/activities I'd like to do... I bought a Jeep! :rofl:

For a while now I've kept an eye out for an fun, inexpensive, daily driver I could use to run around town, go camping, explore mild wheeling trails and back roads. I wanted a 4x4, something small, manual transmission for fun, a cool oldish vehicle to work/practice on. I'd pretty much narrowed down my search to a Suzuki Samurai or a Jeep Comanche. So after a year or more of casually looking on KSL/Craigslist I came across this Comanche.

View attachment 118203

It's a 1990 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L I6, 4x4, short bed. When considering MJs I really wanted the short bed as opposed to the long, I wanted the big motor and AX-15 trans, also I wanted factory 4x4; this met my wish list and on top of all that it was located about 35 miles from my house at a good price. At a glance, the things ugly as hell haha, I don't know what the meth was going on with the custom paint job, but I couldn't believe how little rust it has. Everything from the doors back is pretty straight, the front fenders and hood need reshaped/replaced to fix some dents. The truck runs and drives, though not great. When in 4 wheel drive the front drive shaft is spinning but no pull from the front end, so some axle work required. After doing some research, the parts that need replaced/fixed seem relatively cheap/easy to find. So I loaded it up and brought it home.

View attachment 118205

View attachment 118206

View attachment 118207

So now it's a matter of self control... My plan is for it to just sit for the near term until I cross a few other projects off the list, but I'm pretty excited. :cool: :beer:

This thing is gonna deserve its own thread! I'm excited to see what you do with it!

4x4_Welder

Make sure to do coil boots and torque the plugs to 15ft/lbs. I fought a misfire and pinging on an Expedition, the "senior tech" had just done a tune up two weeks ago, so the shop owner didn't want me wasting time looking at the plugs. Well, six hours of diagnosing chasing everything else, I pulled a coil and found melty boots with loose plugs.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
No pics but today I did spark plugs in everyones favorite 5.4 F*rd...... hopefully stupid misfire goes away

Oh yes. I did that this last summer. Had to extract 4 plugs that broke off. The extraction tool really is a life saver. Still had misfiring on two cylinder (with new coils) so I checked the part number on my new plugs. They were not the updated part number so I pulled them all back out and put in the updated part number. Good to go.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Make sure to do coil boots and torque the plugs to 15ft/lbs. I fought a misfire and pinging on an Expedition, the "senior tech" had just done a tune up two weeks ago, so the shop owner didn't want me wasting time looking at the plugs. Well, six hours of diagnosing chasing everything else, I pulled a coil and found melty boots with loose plugs.

I found before I did this that 3 coils have been replaced, 5 were original. I replaced the other 5 today. I'm a little worried the plugs weren't the cause. The ones I pulled out all looked in pretty good shape and gapped properly..... all were the same motorcraft plugs I replaced them with. I had already tried swapping the coil on the cylinder that was giving me fits and it threw the code again which is why I decided to do plugs, because it also gave me a P0300. I haven't driven it since finishing it, and it would only do it before after "long" periods of time on the freeway. Pretty sure something still isn't right because it seems to be missing still, I haven't brought it up to temp yet though.