General Tech What did you work on Today?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Last night in 3 hours, I turned this

IocU.jpg

Into this

IQzD.jpg

IE98.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Last night in 3 hours, I turned this

IocU.jpg

Into this

IQzD.jpg

IE98.jpg

Looks like a fun project. I had an XR600 a few years back that I bought from the original owner and tore it down to the frame for a complete rebuild and one place I noticed some issues were right at the bottom of the frame where the downtube and the front of the swingarm pivot join there were several small cracks in the tubes and welds. Upon research I discovered that this was a common place for cracks on the CR and XR chassis so you may want to inspect that area very thoroughly for any cracks. I TIG welded mine up before sandblasting and paint and never had any further issues for the 8 or so years I had the bike.

Just thought it worth mentioning while you have it down this far. Keep the pics of the project coming.

Mike

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Looks like a fun project. I had an XR600 a few years back that I bought from the original owner and tore it down to the frame for a complete rebuild and one place I noticed some issues were right at the bottom of the frame where the downtube and the front of the swingarm pivot join there were several small cracks in the tubes and welds. Upon research I discovered that this was a common place for cracks on the CR and XR chassis so you may want to inspect that area very thoroughly for any cracks. I TIG welded mine up before sandblasting and paint and never had any further issues for the 8 or so years I had the bike.

Just thought it worth mentioning while you have it down this far. Keep the pics of the project coming.

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. I will be cleaning and blasting the frame today.

UPDATE
Frame looks good.

IuQH.jpg

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
@zmotorsports that bumper looks great!

Thank you. This was hands down the most intricate bumper I have built to date. That WJ has such a big ass it was hard to make it look nice. Took me a couple of attempts out of cardboard to get some lines I was happy with. Even then I cut the first piece of steel and tacked it in place and had to remove it and start over for the third attempt. It looked too Mad Max~ish and not in a good way.

Mike

The_Lobbster

Built a new drag link setup for my samurai. Previously had 3/4" heim setup with 9/16 misalignment spacers, but I wanted to match my tie rod, so I reamed my Mercedes arm on top for FJ80 TRE's, installed a drop pitman on my new power steering box and reamed that too, reinstalled front drive shaft then pulled it out of the carport.

46688481124_3fb937168c_c.jpg

46688481144_f273f30b33_c.jpg

46688481164_e8c4e42f0c_c.jpg

46688481174_d3e211e24b_c.jpg

33544237018_5cae7089d0_c.jpg

46705034274_dacb1a479c_c.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I finished metal finishing the main body of my son's WJ bumper tonight as well as did a major cleaning of my shop. I had soooo much grinding dust on the floor it was disgusting. Grinding is definitely NOT something I do very often and it hands down my least favorite thing to do.:mad:
832abcbbf8571d113293d0d7f10d6437.jpg

f795085fce7cdc19244d428efa10896d.jpg

Next up is to fabricate the swing away tire carrier then it's off to powder coating.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Beautiful bumper.

Thanks Bart. I have to admit last night after installing the blended/metal finished bumper and standing back to look at it I wasn't upset. It's not as hard on the eyes as I was originally thinking it would be when I started building the behemoth of a bumper.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
It's certainly not an easy or simple bumper build.

You've got that right. There were a lot of small cuts, bends and pieces to fill to make it look decent, which is probably why the mass produced ones don't look as refined with large gaps and open sections. I don't think it would be a beneficial bumper to mass produce from a cost perspective and not a lot of sales potential.

Mike