General Tech What did you work on Today?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I could stand to forget how many of those I've done. Did any of the injector cups come loose?

No injector cups came out with the injectors on this one. Supposedly the guy my son purchased the truck from about 5 years ago had just done injectors prior to my son buying the truck. It was non-running when my son bought the truck so it was a gamble. Upon disassembly of the injectors I found that both cylinders that had the high injector balance rates also had O-ring issues on the injector. Appears as though possibly damaged during installation but they came out easy enough. I didn't have to fight these ones at all like some of them.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nice. I did at least a set every week at one shop. Got pretty quick at them too, a topside creeper is a required tool though.

I've used my topside creeper on lifted trucks but where my son's truck is just leveled out I merely removed his front tires/wheels and lowered his down to where his front rotors are barely off the floor which allowed me to gain access to the engine fairly easy.

Mike

iamjimbrady

There's a 3/4" bolt that we use on our semi trailer double sets, graphite impregnated cast nylon washer between the pivot point, and a nylon bearing block inside the receiver tube that I still need to drill and tap a zerk for.

I'll lay out all the pieces tomorrow and get another picture or two.

Jim

Last edited:

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Well... I sold my street jeep (a TJ) and joined the "other side". I have always wanted a Tacoma but the opportunity never presented itself. Nor did the bank account. The higher being you believe in must touch each and everyone Tacoma as they come off of the production line, because they are priced that way!

Anyway, I cannot leave anything stock especially a vehicle with a stock 2006 stereo. My CTD has me spoiled with blue tooth and other techno gadgets. I had a few pennies left over after putting a chunk down on the Tacoma and decided to do a double DIN stereo, back up camera, and an 8 inch sub in addition to the stock JBL system that the truck came with. My intention was to do a small build thread but after getting into it I either; forgot to take pictures or realized a lot of it was boring wire running. I did have to buy a module that allowed me to tie into the JBL system and re-use the steering wheel controls. Installing the module was pretty straight forward and very close to a plug and play situation. However, I missed one small section on the instructions that gave me an additional few hours of trouble shooting. I eventually got it figured out with some help from Car Tunes in Layton. When he showed me what I did wrong I felt like an idiot. It was a simple plug that I missed and I flipped the wrong switches on the module.

Stock Stereo (RIP)

The newness

After removing the old stereo I went to work soldiering the wires and adding shrink wrap.

After about 4 hours of getting the harnesses all tied together and running the wires for the amp and the back up camera all that was left was to put it all back together. That was after taking a trip to the local car audio place to find out I missed a stupid simple step. Here is the finished product.

I opted to build my own sub box instead of buying a direct fit box for $100 (mine cost me $35 in materials). I may upgrade to that box later on if mine doesnt sound great. We will see though.

All that is currently left to do is buy my amp and hook it up. I have to wait until payday (This Friday) to buy the amp because the CFO of the house has noticed $550 left the bank account at some point. I would like to keep the financial department of this household on my good side. I "need" to spend a few more dollars on "things" for the truck (tonneau cover and maybe powder coat the wheels that came on it).

This was the most in depth stereo install I have ever done. I have done multiple single DIN installs with no other accessories. I really enjoyed doing this and it wasn't harder than previous installs. Fun times!

The_Lobbster

Reset timing on my samurai, added a boost controller, got my cooling system just about finished up except for an electric fan. Been driving it around the past couple days. Got my toolbox screwed down to my bed. I still need to get some decking for it yet.

46752916095_54a050a359_c.jpg

46752916105_a9dc0ec205_c.jpg

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Ripped out my Titans problem prone exhaust manifolds and b pipes and installed a set of jba headers and made my own b pipes. Definitely need a muffler, it's high school redneck glass pack 80s Chev obnoxiously noisy

Used an uprev tuner with custom tune to delete it all. Currently waiting on one o2 sensor to show which I'm figuring it either got burnt or something from the bad cats, or it got damaged some way when I pulled it out. Either way it's brand new, 3000 miles, pretty annoyed

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

My posts are old, because I don't have access to my photo hosting site at home, only on PC, so this is from this weekend. Hauled my buddies samurai to his house so he can finish wiring up his microsquirt in his 1.3 dual cam turbo engine. Then I installed my trans tunnel cover, fixed my power steering, again, and then ran over to lowrange to try out the RTI ramp again. I don't think it does too bad for a samurai!

47052071544_7bdd62546e_c.jpg

47789531062_5d711c87ba_c.jpg

40874898843_71bf0f88d0_c.jpg

40874898733_3b75ba3013_c.jpg

The_Lobbster

My TDI samurai has been having some issues with cold starting, and hazing at idle, so I decided to put a new set of injector nozzles in it. Hoping it clears up my strong exhaust smell.

33978464688_f36dec02ed_c.jpg

32913789887_6aaac2656b_c.jpg