General Tech What did you work on Today?

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Chinesium OK, or skip those and go Milwaukee/Hougen?
I just watched it like a hawk for a few weeks and that dewalt popped up on there for 300$. We have a old black and decker that is identical to the dewalt at work that we use extensively so i knew i couldn't go wrong with a dewalt.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Yesterday I picked up up a new toy. I got it set up in my garage and got the power drawbar working. I'm waiting for a bunch of tooling to show up so I can make some stuff.

I was a machinist for 7 years and miss having access to machines for working on projects.

Congrats. Enjoy the new to you toy.

I can't wait to get caught up in my shop so I can get back to doing more machining. I really enjoy it.

Mike

Bart

Last summer we got blown off anchor in the middle of the night at Powell and struggled with rain, high winds, and low visibility to get back to a dock to tie up. I decided at that time that I should get serious about a GPS/chart plotter for the boat. Began the install of a new Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv over the weekend. So far I've got the unit mounted in the dash and the transducer mounted on the back of the hull. Always fun drilling holes in boats, NOT.
IMG_5899.jpgIMG_5903.jpgIMG_5905.jpg

2002maniac

Got any projects in mind lined out for it?
I have some gunsmithing projects I'd like to do. Mill a Glock slide for a red dot mount and an 80% AR lower or two.

First I need to make some parts FOR the mill. It's missing one of the over travel stops and I'll need to make some mounting brackets for the DRO (digital readout) I plan to order. I also plan on making adapters for the handwheels so I can use a milwaukee m12 driver as a power feed.

joez

Lots of little stuff this weekend gearing up for my upcoming trip. New antenna mount for the CB and tuned it, upgraded crossmember/skid, swapped my new spare tire onto an an existing wheel to keep my spare wheel new, new locker actuator, but the best one was changing the color scheme with my daughter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 61

2002maniac

Working on my Enco 30 mill, I checked the tram of the spindle to the table. I was seeing almost .015" total deviation over an 8" sweep of the table! This would not be acceptable for the level of accuracy I'll need. Unfortunately the machine has no adjustment in the head, in order to tram or square the head you must shim the column to base mount.

I used shims cut from a soda can (about .0045 thick) and was able to get the deviation down to .002" total over the 8" sweep. Not perfect but should do ok what I need it for. Perhaps I'll get ahold of some real shim stock and fine tune it a little more.

20190522_203959.jpg

20190522_203939.jpg

A new Kurt knock off vise showed up. I took it apart, cleaned up a few rough edges, gave it a healthy dose of oil and then mounted it on the table and dialed it in.

20190522_205558.jpg

DAA

The first step towards better brakes for the LJ.

'88 XJ knuckles

untitled-211W.jpg

untitled-214W.jpg

The left one was mildly molested, with the split ring and steering stops both partially backed out/removed and the threads for the steering stop were jacked.

Cleaned them up real good with my cheap HF soda blaster and a wire wheel on the grinder. Chased the threads with a tap (3/8-24, already had one) for both steering stops and cleaned up the threads on the bolts. Then painted them with Eastwood chassis black.

Then drilled the caliper mounting holes out to 14mm and installed new split rings.

untitled-216W.jpg

untitled-226W.jpg

untitled-220W.jpg

It will be another five or six weeks before I have the budget for the rest of the parts for the brake swap.

- DAA