General Tech What did you work on Today?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been wanting to get one of these, @Herzog did you get the standard or HD version?

I got the standard because I tend to work with smaller materials and only up to 1/4" most of the time. I figured if I had the need, I could modify it myself to have a larger bottom plate, which is the only difference.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Knocked another item off of my white board Saturday morning. I fabricated my grease gun holder that I have kept putting off for way too long.

I have had my grease guns in a drawer under my workbench placed on absorbent pads for the past two years and after greasing my Jeep suspension the other night and dripping oil all over my shop floor I decided to bump it to the top of the priority list. This heat we’ve been having has been separating the lubricant from the carrier and when I pick the guns up to use all of the oil runs out the bottom of the plunger. By having them hang it won’t prevent the oil from dripping but should at least eliminate the pooling and a gush of oil pouring out when I pick them up to use.

I started with some 3” ABS tubing cut into 12” increments and played with spacing.
93ab47074756bc757eedfddd70f60bab.jpg

After correct spacing was determined I cut the 1” square tubing to the necessary length and then drilled the holes for mounting the tubes as well as mounting the complete rack to the wall. By using the tube it also creates just enough spacing away from the wall to allow access to remove the bottom caps for cleaning when needed.
8cb3e3b10e942f9b0d8a2068f23e70cd.jpg

I then cut some 1” PVC into 2” lengths which will form the cup to secure the coupler at the end of the hose. I deburred and cleaned up the ends on the lathe.
758def24a9a3de0f0364fffccbabe593.jpg

Tubing all cut and prepped.
a03b2805ad0dd7992d91c5ebdde5dad3.jpg

Coupler receivers and mounting tube painted and drying while I machine the .5” spacers.
ee3181c6e5aef5e12fdc32953dcbb1cb.jpg

Spacers machined and ready for assembly.
082daf1c5d525bee257e451c05d453c4.jpg

First one assembled.
1f1a487747c0dd0a6b7717151cf1696c.jpg

All five assembled and ready to mate to the mounting tube.
263208880880fe24ca3ccab893a78366.jpg

Securing using 10-32 nylock nuts.
58f8fd5c6c0964a651be8a23fe3e688d.jpg

Using the masking tape trick to keep from dropping the nuts into the square tube while assembling.
7c46e00948643026c19b078eb5cc2568.jpg

The assembly ready for installation onto the wall.
e1017aa1d9eff41038e425cd037420f5.jpg

3334a376e53797ab3957bce6b993a9c3.jpg

Loaded with the grease guns for years of use and easy access.
ce0bd50baa152af088754e672939caa7.jpg

Gained back one of my large drawers under my workbench.
8a4f4b78c496bba1faed2db12656abfd.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I got the standard because I tend to work with smaller materials and only up to 1/4" most of the time. I figured if I had the need, I could modify it myself to have a larger bottom plate, which is the only difference.

I appreciate your input on this @Herzog I've been eyeing one for a few weeks now.

Do you think the H.D. version would also work well for smaller materials, if a piece of angle iron were laid onto the lower plate before bending?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I appreciate your input on this @Herzog I've been eyeing one for a few weeks now.

Do you think the H.D. version would also work well for smaller materials, if a piece of angle iron were laid onto the lower plate before bending?

Yes, and it even says that in the directions. (which is kinda a sore spot for me, since I called and talked to them before choosing the standard version....if he'd mentioned that option, I would have bought the HD)

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Yes, and it even says that in the directions. (which is kinda a sore spot for me, since I called and talked to them before choosing the standard version....if he'd mentioned that option, I would have bought the HD)

Awesome, thank you Carl!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

As Carl said, yes! Some people cut a bunch of different size angle and stack them to get the right size they want. Hopefully I don't regret not going with the HD version, but I wanted to keep it simple for what I do.

I also just added an air of hydro 20 ton jack from HF. Super nice not having to jack the dumb handle a ton to bend something.

The_Lobbster

Hauled home a Sidekick. Pro tip: If somebody says you can borrow their ramps, make sure to ask them to ensure they're actually available. It took me a about an hour to load this non running thing up with low tires. I had to jack up the front of the trailer, then use pallets, a come along, and a spare axle shaft to get this thing finaggled on the trailer. It sucked.

48424146731_83b341649e_c.jpg

Reactions: DAA

zukijames

Hauled home a Sidekick. Pro tip: If somebody says you can borrow their ramps, make sure to ask them to ensure they're actually available. It took me a about an hour to load this non running thing up with low tires. I had to jack up the front of the trailer, then use pallets, a come along, and a spare axle shaft to get this thing finaggled on the trailer. It sucked.

48424146731_83b341649e_c.jpg
No
Forklift?

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
I got sick of fixing up the pipe threader just to have someone swap me out for a crappy one.

I’ve been painting all my stuff hold lately, so I thought why not...View attachment 121450

Nice i do the same thing with anything that can be borrowed or confused if its mine, Vise grips, Chains, Clamps, Shovels Etc. I use girly Sea side blue. At my Industrial job i just open my tool box draws and touch up my tools with Safety yellow, sockets wrenches, air tools, everything. I know they are mine by a glance and they are harder to loose i.e. brighter.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
I don’t know why I waited so long to get one of these...

View attachment 121100
View attachment 121101
View attachment 121102

This thing is awesome!

Neat. I have made a few of them before. I have a big one similar to yours i built and a smaller one in my arbor press i recently pimped out for them wheel chocks.

Here is my smaller one. Had some round bar as the bottom die but it was too tight for my chocks so i made a 4 sided laminated bottom die with my plasma table.

The 4 little U cut outs between the V's are for a weld bead.

Chromed up with a back stop and bottoming out stops specific for wheel chalk duty now. I had to weld a piece of 1/2 round bar on blade side to get it to not crack the aluminum.

The_Lobbster

No
Forklift?
Freaking no, Eden was supposed to leave the gate unlocked for me and he didn't even do that, I managed to get a key and get in back though. Nobody else would answer their phone to open up for me, and I had already moved crap around to do it, so I had no choice but just get it done. Also, if you want the roof rack, you'll have to come take it off before Amber picks it up, otherwise I'm just gonna let her take it lol.

zukijames

Freaking no, Eden was supposed to leave the gate unlocked for me and he didn't even do that, I managed to get a key and get in back though. Nobody else would answer their phone to open up for me, and I had already moved crap around to do it, so I had no choice but just get it done. Also, if you want the roof rack, you'll have to come take it off before Amber picks it up, otherwise I'm just gonna let her take it lol.
When is she coming to get it?

The_Lobbster

My TDI samurai has been running crappy, and it seemed to be an issue with compression. So I pulled the head to get it checked out, and replace the gasket. At first I thought I had burnt up a cylinder, but all the walls look pretty good still. I dropped one of the head stud nuts down the oil drain. Somehow, it managed to get wedged in there before dropping all the way into the pan.

48465566126_420e249201_c.jpg

48465566116_e2be4e888a_c.jpg