General Tech What did you work on Today?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thanks Bart. This one's been a little tougher to make look streamline than the others that I've built but it's getting there.

Mike
Mike, I just want you to know that you define my level of fabrication. The spectrum goes like this:

On one end we have Zmotorsports. On the opposite end we have Bootyfab. Somewhere right in the middle is Hickeybilt. :cool: :hickey:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Mike, I just want you to know that you define my level of fabrication. The spectrum goes like this:

On one end we have Zmotorsports. On the opposite end we have Bootyfab. Somewhere right in the middle is Hickeybilt. :cool: :hickey:

Thank you Jeremy. I'm flattered by your comment.

I look at it that if I can do it anyone can. I'm not necessarily a fabricator or welder, I am merely a mechanic who taught himself to weld, fabricate and machine. I'm also nowhere near as good of any of the above as I want to be and probably never will be.

Mike

The_Lobbster

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nope. This one is half the price. I was a little worried it wouldn't put out enough heat, but after lighting it, I'm not worried.

I used a plow disc, but I don't think I would do it again. It's kinda shitty metal, and the prep time is ridiculous. It will have to work for this trip, but I will be looking for a better disc to use.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thank you Jeremy. I'm flattered by your comment.

I look at it that if I can do it anyone can. I'm not necessarily a fabricator or welder, I am merely a mechanic who taught himself to weld, fabricate and machine. I'm also nowhere near as good of any of the above as I want to be and probably never will be.

Mike
I appreciate the effort to take to show off, err, document ? your projects Mike. I learn a lot about the correct way to do things reading your threads. The simple trick of how you line up your inside corners has made a big improvement in several welding projects I've finished recently. Thank you and please continue.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I appreciate the effort to take to show off, err, document ? your projects Mike. I learn a lot about the correct way to do things reading your threads. The simple trick of how you line up your inside corners has made a big improvement in several welding projects I've finished recently. Thank you and please continue.

Thanks I appreciate that. I'm glad what I'm posting (or showing off) is helpful.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I’m glad I didn’t start cutting sheet metal the other night because I wasn’t really lovin’ the driver’s side wing we mocked up.

When I opened the shop last night I really want diggin’ it so I tore the cardboard off and when my son arrived we started over.

This design flows much better but will require a bit more work.
e0bd56d26e80714e5db5383b9db3370f.jpg

33f892c5a9dbfed31ad0e04d3e1e778f.jpg

My son and I definitely agreed on this design as being more fitting to the Jeep.

We will add a small filler panel under the side angled inward to cover the inner fender structure and start cutting steel.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
After opening the shop door last night I liked what I saw as far as design and lines of the bumper so we commenced on transferring the patterns to 10-gauge plate.

Here is my CAD work station.
8fcdf0458cb90fcdfa86e731e8ae521b.jpg

Wing removed to start separating the pieces. Numbered for reference.
237a05166ace3665390f0da0e774bbb5.jpg

5beb4a49da96aefa240ce545e703946f.jpg

Nesting the patterns to minimize waste.
87f499dcd2e1cc155c68c3de5766aed5.jpg

Some plasma cutting to get the pieces small enough to handle on the vertical bandsaw. By using a guide, having the current of the plasma cutter set correctly for the material thickness and travel speed dialed in a person can make some precise and pretty slag free cuts.
9f014ba4a3d41073fbc7cb4f3ff51c34.jpg

89ba7dc700867a39a8feee6b57cb2983.jpg

cc96a0784cd462293e4b204491a4369f.jpg

Very, very little slag on the cut edge requiring only slight cleanup with a flap wheel.
ac8501ae6f2b65ef8a113914ec4816b0.jpg

The smaller sections were cut using the bandsaw. Two of each for a mirror image side to side.
378f0eaaf791d73005d10a12e8b1ea1f.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mike