General Tech What did you work on Today?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I’ve been wanting a new air compressor, but after doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of video reviews, I’ve realized my compressor is just as good as the new options I was looking at.
Derek posted a couple years ago about his high flow compressor connections. I read more about air flow and pressures and realized I need more flow, not a new compressor.
I picked up some high flow fittings. There is a huge difference between what I had on my Tools and the new fittings!

What kind of fittings did you get? I'm thinking this would probably benefit me as well....

Tonkaman

I’ve been wanting a new air compressor, but after doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of video reviews, I’ve realized my compressor is just as good as the new options I was looking at.
Derek posted a couple years ago about his high flow compressor connections. I read more about air flow and pressures and realized I need more flow, not a new compressor.
I picked up some high flow fittings. There is a huge difference between what I had on my Tools and the new fittings!

View attachment 127612

That’s awesome. It sucks buying ALL NEW male and female fittings, but so worth the performance.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I was having trouble getting enough air for the plasma one day and discovered that the sintered outlet filter on the moisture trap was coated with oil and greatly reducing air flow. Hosed it down with carb cleaner and all is well. Hadn't cleaned it in the 7 years I've had the compressor.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been working hard on my backyard. We laid 2500 sqft of sod last Tuesday and I bought a bunch of trees and shrubs Friday and installed them yesterday. It's nice to be able to look out the back windows and see something other than dirt and weeds.

IMG_20200517_095736_531.jpg

IMG_20200517_095736_538.jpg

IMG_20200517_095736_533.jpg

My curbing guy is booked out pretty far but I'm hoping he can work his magic to clean up the lines and make for tidy borders before too long.

Tonkaman

I've been working hard on my backyard. We laid 2500 sqft of sod last Tuesday and I bought a bunch of trees and shrubs Friday and installed them yesterday. It's nice to be able to look out the back windows and see something other than dirt and weeds.

View attachment 127636

View attachment 127637

View attachment 127638

My curbing guy is booked out pretty far but I'm hoping he can work his magic to clean up the lines and make for tidy borders before too long.
Wow that looks great! Nice yard dude

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Yesterday I spent the afternoon helping a friend yank the dead 307 from his newly-acquired 1988 Olds Custom Cruiser.

wjZEKXg.jpg

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
....and there's more to this story. Healthy LS, 540 cube big block Chev, $tupid healthy Mondello Olds, ???? what's the Paul Harvey on that bird?

We'll be replacing the 307 with this roller cam 454 which we dropped off at my house on our way to yank the 307.

VTRt15F.jpg

We'll be doing a dingleball cleanup of the bores, then install a new ZZ502 camshaft, RPM AirGap intake, and longtube headers just like in my car. To deal with the added bulk of the wagon compared to my svelte Grand Prix, I'm suggesting we go deeper than my 3.55 axle ratio--I'm thinking 3.92 may be the sweet spot (though Mike is pushing for 4.10s).

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
We'll be replacing the 307 with this roller cam 454 which we dropped off at my house on our way to yank the 307.

VTRt15F.jpg

We'll be doing a dingleball cleanup of the bores, then install a new ZZ502 camshaft, RPM AirGap intake, and longtube headers just like in my car. To deal with the added bulk of the wagon compared to my svelte Grand Prix, I'm suggesting we go deeper than my 3.55 axle ratio--I'm thinking 3.92 may be the sweet spot (though Mike is pushing for 4.10s).
4.10's would make for better burnouts. So do that. X-D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Not exactly the first job I wanted to do in the garage but glad to have my crap back so I can not beg someone else for a quick exhaust/muffler weld. image.jpg
image.jpg
Far from an ideal “fix” but it will get me by for a minute until I figure out what muffler/exhaust a V10 likes?

pics of welds in the wind to come soon:rofl::rofl:

2A1F0946-1923-4F7A-AC89-60C40C5DDCC9.jpeg

nice eh? Wind, THIN metal and .35 wire ... tack tack weld to stop burning through

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Last night I modified my SWAG HD finger brake.

94bd3e8dfb396eff91751f77c27b9f82.jpg

851624ca68540c4cb508a6af9cca78ff.jpg

I cut the welds to remove the angle iron to make room for the 4-way press die that I purchased a while ago.
d9a7f6933fca7334c37d516b6b189988.jpg

c433c3996ff7884e53c658e1aea8e51b.jpg

A couple of passes freed the angle iron from the base.
474d8f89595e8dbe6aa8ad84dc87f4cb.jpg

ce2823d6daea144c7a13b3c1dcff6cc5.jpg

While clamped in the mill vise I machined the welds and the heads off of the carriage bolts from the base.
74afd91e7cd239c918e6437a04100eb9.jpg

fd2779db90fdb46e023f9f6171c068c1.jpg

532da5739f240161a5c36dc7d26255bc.jpg

I still need to cut a couple of pieces of strap and drill & tap the front and back to install adjustment for the dies front to rear.

Mike

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
@mbryson I want a dump trailer, like bad.

I borrowed one from our builder to get dump compost yesterday and it was awesome. Fill it up, then level off the hump in the middle, then pull down the integrated cover from the front. I was out of there pdq. It didn't dump that great but I'm scheming.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
@mbryson I want a dump trailer, like bad.

I borrowed one from our builder to get dump compost yesterday and it was awesome. Fill it up, then level off the hump in the middle, then pull down the integrated cover from the front. I was out of there pdq. It didn't dump that great but I'm scheming.

I’ll need one of those in the coming months. Lots o gravel in my future

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Marc, just for reference since our lots are similar sized. You’ll probably be money ahead just to have it delivered. My yard took one end dump semi, and four ten wheelers of gravel and boulders to cover. That’s a lot of trips with a dump trailer. You’ll probably need quite a bit less than I did, I have zero grass.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I absolutely love my dump trailer, but I still want an ultra light Jeep hauling trailer. They are pretty expensive for the amount of use most average people use them. I've used mine a ton for my recreation property and I've also hauled my Jeep on it. I've had 13k lbs of gravel in it and it will still dump perfectly.

If you have several small gravel jobs they are great. For one or two larger jobs, it's worth it to hire a dump truck.
10F68A78-A9A6-495C-A4E9-05BE6CBE9CD2.jpeg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I certainly can't justify buying a dump trailer but a girl can still dream, right? I grabbed the trailer again this morning and did another 6 yard load of dump compost. My back is killing me from spreading the whole thing but my yard looks real nice.

In a couple more years when the yard is settled and done I'd only use the trailer once in the spring to get compost. I've been getting top soil delivered and have my 5th and final load coming Tuesday.

My LX can't handle much more weight than the compost and trailer. I think I'd need a truck to pull it with gravel.