General Tech What did you work on Today?

ricsrx

Trying to get back in the grove to finish this bike, withe the wider swing arm the drive output shaft will need to be existed 1.25 inches. It's not a jack shaft but I will have a bearing on the outside to carry it.
You can see it needs to be cut down20201114_133134.jpg20201121_082811.jpg20200508_200437.jpg

Last edited:

1969honda

Supporting Member
Trying to get back in the grove to finish this bike, withe the wider swing arm the drive output shaft will need to be existed 1.25 inches. It's not a jack shaft but I will have a bearing on the outside to carry it.
You can see it needs to be cut downView attachment 132911View attachment 132912View attachment 132913
Nice bike! I had a 69 cb350 with a 98 R1 front end, hawk nt650 arm, vfr409 rear wheel and triumph eccentric at one point. If I recall XS customs or something like that had some good offset drive sprockets.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Took some extra time off this week but ended up mostly working. Changed out the clutch master/slave one an 02 Ram 2500 with the V10 on my friends ranch truck and fixed some wiring issues on one of his trailers. What a pain that clutch setup was. Dodge put a totally sealed system on these trucks with no bleeder valves. Not only was bleeding the thing a pain but getting the slave cylinder and hose past the cylinder head was a joke. Did finally get it all working. At home I had to do an alignment, tire rotation and top-off axle oil on my daughters Jeep. I also winterized the boat and finished up my ATV trailer welding and painting. Also swapped out the last 4 foot florescent lights in the house for LED units. Fixed our Troy-Bilt horse tiller tine shaft oil leak and belt and tilled up the garden.
On my Scrambler LS swap I busted out my oscilloscope and verified the vehicle speed sensor signal to the cruise control module and verified all of the other wiring for the cruise module. Now I have functioning cruise with GMC modules and Jeep steering wheel controls.

Despite all of that I did get in a couple of fishing trips.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Just saved me some money with my electronics test equipment. Over the weekend our big upright freezer quit working. Getting freezers is taking a very long time. One that we looked at had a delivery date out in Feb 2021 so I decided to play repairman. I found the schematic on the back of the unit and it was way simple. Within a few minutes I diagnosed it to the thermostat. I could have ordered a part online for less but it needed to get fixed ASAP so we paid more to get one in town. It's now back up and running well.

ID Bronco

My son and I went to work lowering his 4 Runner. The links are way too short and it had weird manners along with binding noises that we wanted to address. With some info from Carl and SLC4runner we dove in.

Pulling two leaves from the pack netted us about 2.5 inches lower on the front. This wasn't too bad. It certainly looks better but I think will also perform better too.

The rear was more work, removing and cutting the coils. He is in college and has very limited funds. I could buy new coils and put all new stuff on this but what would he learn from that? Not what I want him to learn, so instead he learned how to make due and swear.

Cutting the coils was tough, they are hard steel, and my chop saw wouldn't touch them. The grinding wheel worked better though. In the end, I wish we would have cut a little more off of them, but we were being careful. Now though, I don't want to remove them again to cut another 1/2 inch out.

We need new shocks on the front (there was a casualty in all this) but it not only brought down the COG but with the links less maxed out we gained 1.5" of wheelbase and the rear axle is closer to where it should be.

Many of the noises and lurching have gone away, so it was a success!

20201127_202550.jpg20201130_150805.jpg20201130_153403.jpg

And he posed for a final silly pic

20201130_190043.jpg