General Tech What did you work on Today?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Tried a quick test for of the new power plant. If I could love without the luxury of steering and a radiator it would be fine, but some corners even I won’t cut. Looks like I’ll be introducing the firewall and tunnel area to Mr. Cutoff Wheel.

Attachments

• 10173AE4-3401-4E28-B4B0-DF941A6C541D.jpeg
    10173AE4-3401-4E28-B4B0-DF941A6C541D.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 47

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Tried a quick test for of the new power plant. If I could love without the luxury of steering and a radiator it would be fine, but some corners even I won’t cut. Looks like I’ll be introducing the firewall and tunnel area to Mr. Cutoff Wheel.

You could just steer with the throttle and run a roof mount radiator? (looks pretty cool! How will moving the motor back affect the steering?)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You could just steer with the throttle and run a roof mount radiator? (looks pretty cool! How will moving the motor back affect the steering?)
The steering shaft needs to go where the #7 exhaust header runs. I’ll need to route the shaft out to the frame rail, then back in to the rack and pinion. That should be easy enough, but even then I’ll probably still have to offset the engine about 1/2” to the right to clear things.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

I'm not sure what your running for steering but in my street rod I didn't put power steering in it to keep the engine bay clean as clean as possible but did install a rack with lower gear ratio for easier turning. If memory serves I bought the rack unit from Flaming River Products but it's been a few years.

Just a thought.

Mike

Bart

WOW BC, good luck with that. Looks like some nice shiny firewall you get to cut into. I'm sure it will look amazing when you're finished.

JeeperG

The steering shaft needs to go where the #7 exhaust header runs. I’ll need to route the shaft out to the frame rail, then back in to the rack and pinion. That should be easy enough, but even then I’ll probably still have to offset the engine about 1/2” to the right to clear things.
I feel ya, mine has 3 different Ujoints, 2 shafts and two heims that attach to the inner frame rail.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
After Mesha made me such a fantastic deal on 5 Jeep tires for my 4 Runner, I can't carry my spare in the factory location. I'm not very expo so I don't want a full time bumper and swinging tire carrier. This is my MTB and grocery hauler so access to the rear is highly coveted :rofl:. So I started throwing together some scraps I had for a hitch mounted tire carrier.
20201202_144708.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
After Mesha made me such a fantastic deal on 5 Jeep tires for my 4 Runner, I can't carry my spare in the factory location. I'm not very expo so I don't want a full time bumper and swinging tire carrier. This is my MTB and grocery hauler so access to the rear is highly coveted :rofl:. So I started throwing together some scraps I had for a hitch mounted tire carrier.
View attachment 133208
Didn't like the price of a Hitchgate, huh?
Yours looks great!

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'm not sure what your running for steering but in my street rod I didn't put power steering in it to keep the engine bay clean as clean as possible but did install a rack with lower gear ratio for easier turning. If memory serves I bought the rack unit from Flaming River Products but it's been a few years.

Just a thought.1C4653BE-39CA-49D8-93C0-96423AAFCF28.jpeg

Mike
Problem resolved, I think. Instead of mounting the radiator vertical like it should be, if I tilt it 20* to more closely mimic the grill I will gain almost 2” at the water pump level. That should remedy my steering issue as well as reduce the amount of firewall and and floor modifications I’ll have to do.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
View attachment 133208
This seems like an overly complicated way to obscure only a portion of your license plate so the internet doesn't find you.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
This seems like an overly complicated way to obscure only a portion of your license plate so the internet doesn't find you.
Funny story. Some dude on a FB jeep group posted some pics of old cars his dealership had in storage for people. Some other dude starts throwing a fit that dude #1 outed peoples personal info by posting their plates.
A third dude posts Dude #2's name, address, email, past addresses and several vehicles he owns with most of the info redacted to prove a point. We live in a world void of privacy. People hiding their plates crack me up.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Funny story. Some dude on a FB jeep group posted some pics of old cars his dealership had in storage for people. Some other dude starts throwing a fit that dude #1 outed peoples personal info by posting their plates.
A third dude posts Dude #2's name, address, email, past addresses and several vehicles he owns with most of the info redacted to prove a point. We live in a world void of privacy. People hiding their plates crack me up.
I feel like we've discussed this before.

Yup. https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/why-blur-your-license-plate.48199/ :D