General Tech What did you work on Today?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I greased all of the zerks today. 4 tubes of grease. 4 trailers, and 75% of the tractor. I need at least another tube of grease. I HATE grease.
When I serviced the motorhome it took almost an entire tube to do the driveline. 6 u-joints and 3 slip yokes. Then about the same to do all the auto slack adjusters other brake components and steering. Not the most fun thing to do while rolling around on a creeper.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I'm tired now.... The last couple of days I have installed a tranny and transfer case in my grandson's "special" Jeep. This morning we tested it out up on jack stands and so far it looks to be working. I need more ATF so we can't drive it. Within 15 minutes of that test my daughter calls and says her Jeep that I just put on a new water pump, hoses and radiator is making horrible noises and smoking. Can I ever catch a break ????? We went and retrieved the Jeep and I parked it without even looking at it. It sounded a lot like the other Jeep when the torque converter went out. I had to get away from Jeeps so I mulched all of the spring fruit tree pruning. Then I tilled up my garden and did more yard clean up. After all that I took a look at the XJ. I could tell right away that the problem wasn't the tranny because the fan belt was semi shredded. It appears that the brand new water pump is partially seized. I'm draining antifreeze as I type. Hopefully nothing is too badly damaged. I will have to flush the system because the brand new radiator appears to have metal flakes in it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Replacing a radiator in my backup crawler. Pretty impressive specs really… 40s up front and rear 52s filled with water (you know, like a comp. rig), 55* steering, front portals, locking diffs, cutting brakes. 🤘

Attachments

• D68A16FA-EC25-4BDA-B1B6-ECB80F8B831B.jpeg
    D68A16FA-EC25-4BDA-B1B6-ECB80F8B831B.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 46

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I finally replaced the side plates on my winch. I let the cable spool up too much on one side and it busted an ear and bent the cross tie rods.

4722CC54-915A-4FAC-AB89-ACD7DD54664D.jpegCB3C6A5C-8C53-472D-AA90-A8B03E72E30A.jpeg4C939ACD-00E6-436A-A2A9-87D576807748.jpegC05F641A-143F-4F26-A67D-9BB2B308CF1A.jpeg

I'm still waiting for the tie rods to come in, but it's back on the Jeep and working again. I'm going to shorten my cable to help avoid that in the future. Eventually I'll switch to synthetic, but that's probably with a different winch and a different bumper.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lory has a designated spot on the kitchen counter top that's designated as "Get this out of my damn kitchen". This registration sticker has been sitting there since August. I just want to say that I appreciate the fact that she has not once reminded me to handle it.

60ED9C59-3284-48EE-AC7D-CCDFE32C6931.jpeg

Anyway, it's handled. The countertop has been cleared of my chores.

JeeperG

Switched out my headers to a better set suited for what I'm doing, it'll save me a headache later on and fixes my clearance issues, we'll have to finish building the rest back to the flex pipe later. These new ones have an interesting design not using header gaskets at all.
PXL_20220401_204904013.jpg

PXL_20220401_210357679.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Switched out my headers to a better set suited for what I'm doing, it'll save me a headache later on and fixes my clearance issues, we'll have to finish building the rest back to the flex pipe later. These new ones have an interesting design not using header gaskets at all.
View attachment 147944

View attachment 147945

I ran across a set of big block header gaskets in the toolbox yesterday. Yell if/when you need them? :D