What do do with a Wrecked 7.3.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I just bought this from the insurance after a neighbor wrecked it. I bought it unseen, from a lousy photo taken at the accident scene, in the dark. It’s worse than I thought.
the front clip is easily 12” to the right, and the front axle is about 8” to the right.
it looks like the engine was spared, but I haven’t dived in deep yet.
from the photo I received, I thought I could repair it and have a good truck. I don’t think I am up for this job now though.
Truck is 4x4, has 180k ish.
it seems that even being for parts these are selling on ksl for $5-7k. Is that right??

now that I’m not rebuilding it, I’ve thought about putting the engine and axles in my ‘78 Ford. But I’m also not that talented, so it would be a loooong process for me.

25F4D43C-144F-4D98-949E-8081B5165826.jpeg

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
That’s a 7.3? Just drive it like that, it’ll probably go another 400k until the next oil change, then sell for a healthy profit.

Seriously, I sold my 2X locked, lifted ‘02 Lariat 7.3 with 150k for $15k about six years back. If I had held onto that thing it would’ve been my retirement. The love on those things is strong, seems like even wrecked you can get fat money on them. Good luck

Tonkaman

I just bought this from the insurance after a neighbor wrecked it. I bought it unseen, from a lousy photo taken at the accident scene, in the dark. It’s worse than I thought.
the front clip is easily 12” to the right, and the front axle is about 8” to the right.
it looks like the engine was spared, but I haven’t dived in deep yet.
from the photo I received, I thought I could repair it and have a good truck. I don’t think I am up for this job now though.
Truck is 4x4, has 180k ish.
it seems that even being for parts these are selling on ksl for $5-7k. Is that right??

now that I’m not rebuilding it, I’ve thought about putting the engine and axles in my ‘78 Ford. But I’m also not that talented, so it would be a loooong process for me.

View attachment 140286
Dude, you can do that. Just write down a list of each major item that needs repair, create an estimate for each item, and think through the process of each individual repair.

Dont get too overwhelmed by thinking about the whole thing all at once.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Please let us know if you decide to part it out. I could use some small pieces for my '02 (are the tube steps OK?)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Poor ol’ truck!

I’ve seen the machines in action straightening frames not sure if possible on a big truck like that though.. straighten frame, newer front clip (2010 is my favorite) and new heat exchangers would get it back on the road? Can’t be that bad… or can it? 🤔

Edit: just talked to my brother and he said it would be no stress for a shop with a frame straightener fwiw…

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Good Gosh. I have gone down waay too many rabbit holes with this. I listed it for sale, hoping for a quick buck. I've got to get the truck off the street by Wednesday next week. If it hasn't sold, I will get serious about fixing it myself.

I REALLY would like to do a front end update on it, and bring it up to like a 2015 front end. If the truck were straight, an entire kit can be fitted for about $2,000. Seems totally worth it to me. But with it being so bent, I am sure things will not go that easy, or nearly that cheap.

I can find some good deals ($500ish) on entire gas engine trucks with bad motors in the 2000-2003 range that would have everything I need to rebuild the truck to original front end. That seems like a pretty cheap and effective way to get a reliable, but older looking truck up and running.

Obviously, the real right answer is to buy another truck, swap the needed parts and THEN do a front end update.. But is that more than I should tackle?

WWRMED??
(what would RME do ;))

1969honda

Supporting Member
Pull the front clip and everything out of the way, then either have the rails straightened or tube chassis the front clip of your choice back in.

SnwMnkys

Pull the front clip and everything out of the way, then either have the rails straightened or tube chassis the front clip of your choice back in.

Dont do this if you plan on having the frame straightened. A frame shop generally wants everything left in place. Let them decide if something needs to be removed for straightening. Not just the frame can be straightened by them. The front apron can be pulled on and leaving everything intact will give them a better story of how things line back up when they start pulling.

Even if you were to tube chassis the front end youd want to bring it to a frame shop and have them measure and straighten it. You dont want to do all that work and come to find out the frame was "diamond" which more than likely it was.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Dont do this if you plan on having the frame straightened. A frame shop generally wants everything left in place. Let them decide if something needs to be removed for straightening. Not just the frame can be straightened by them. The front apron can be pulled on and leaving everything intact will give them a better story of how things line back up when they start pulling.

Even if you were to tube chassis the front end youd want to bring it to a frame shop and have them measure and straighten it. You dont want to do all that work and come to find out the frame was "diamond" which more than likely it was.

was does diamond mean?

85CUCVKRAWLER

Pull the complete drivetrain and list is separately on FB/KSL for like $2000. Someone will come by before the weekend.

Put a pic on FB/KSL for pick-n-pull the rest. Youll get another $1000 off it easily.

Best you can do at this point