What do I get for the next bike?

Caleb

I may or may not have just listed my 250 for sale in favor of a 300 or 350. Don't feel like wasting my energy picking up a 450. A 300 is 5 lbs lighter than my bike, a 450 is 10 lbs heavier, and a 350 is 4 lbs heavier. If it doesn't sell for close then I'm till happy with my bike. I set the price pretty high so it probably won't sell. :rolleyes:

Easy solution, just don't wreck :D

FWIW, the 300 will likely feel way lighter than your current bike while riding. Reason being is the weight is down low vs. having all the valve train a 4T has up high. I love my 500 and wouldn't trade it for a 300, but I wouldn't hesitate to own another 300.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So how heavy is your bike James?
The Yamaha people say going to a 06+
From mine will drop 30lbs. Honestly I can't notice 10lbs less but I can notice 10lbs more. I would be in heaven with 30lbs less!

rholbrook

I may or may not have just listed my 250 for sale in favor of a 300 or 350. Don't feel like wasting my energy picking up a 450. A 300 is 5 lbs lighter than my bike, a 450 is 10 lbs heavier, and a 350 is 4 lbs heavier. If it doesn't sell for close then I'm till happy with my bike. I set the price pretty high so it probably won't sell. :rolleyes:

Nah, dont get a 350. I have spent a couple of hours on one. Didnt care for it too much. It was smooth but lacked the hit. I think you have ridden with my friend Mike before. His has a Rekluse, suspension done and getting the bike lowered 2" and suspension done again next week. If you're going to do something, either get a 300 smoker or the 450 or even possibly the 500. Your bike is pretty mild, the 350 in my opinion is mild too compared to a 300 or 450+.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Tyson's bike felt lighter than Greg's but that's lilely because Greg has 50lbs of bar risers and computers and monster hand gaurds. ;)

Having the bars sit higher up may have something to do with how it felt too. And don't forget the desert tank. ;) I don't know how big the tank is on Tyson's 250, but I'd imagine I'm hauling around an additional 1.5 gallon. That's 10#'s right there.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Do they make a 300 yet with fuel injection? Is it possible to even make?

I just don't think it needs it, the bikes light and snappy, and easy to find the pipe on, on the 450's it makes a difference because its a lot of engine mass to gather when you need it, you need it now.. example your on a 450 climbing some big dumb hill like the one I was on in Warner valley, and you trying to keep your momentum up the hill but you also have ledges to negotiate where you have to chop the throttle, regain position then stab and try and recover you momentum and balance, on the big bikes it needs to be instant. on the 300 it will snap enough to recover the light bike with a carb. If I were you guys with your size I would lean towards a 300, especially in technical stuff, Mesquite and knolls are sandy races that hog power, In most cases I think the 300 is the best all around bike if your riding technical dirt.

I'm probably going to stick with the KX450 because its the tallest of all bike, and snaps the hardest of all bikes. I'm 6'5 and 240 lbs, and sometimes it need a neck snapper just to keep my balance.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I'm just not good at tuning a carb and I have terrible luck with carbs. My last 4 bikes all had carb issues, which was probably more user error than anything. When I saw the fuel injected bikes come out I had no problem paying the extra for a new bike. It was worth it just for peace of mind. Haven't had a single problem with the fi and I never have to jet it for different elevations.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you put a JD kit in the 300 you will probably never have to mess with the jetting. I am not running a JD kit and the only time I mess with my jetting is if I am going to be below 2500 feet elevation or running in deep sand like Mesquite. The jetting I run at at 4500 feet works fine at 7500 feet.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm just not good at tuning a carb and I have terrible luck with carbs. My last 4 bikes all had carb issues, which was probably more user error than anything. When I saw the fuel injected bikes come out I had no problem paying the extra for a new bike. It was worth it just for peace of mind. Haven't had a single problem with the fi and I never have to jet it for different elevations.

Hey, you helped tear down my 300's carb on the trail, with minimal tools... twice! Setting it up right isn't that hard, I'd agree with Paul's comment above... you shouldn't have to mess with it if you use the JD kit. I made mine run richer just to be careful, but it probably wasn't needed.