What do I get for the next bike?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Correct me if I'm wrong here but NOST is a Cone valve solution, not applicable to Kayaba forks that Yamaha's come with.

To be honest, my 2016 300 is a great bike minus the fork. It's miles better than it was but it still isn't what it could be. My dilemma is, it's in the sweet spot hours wise for resale. I could move into a 19 KTM or Husky and have similar suspension stock, then save a bit and drop the NOST stuff in. If this bike had the suspension and the engine vibration damping of the newer bikes, I'd keep it.

Paul, Stratton, any reason you guys picked the Husky over the KTM?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Expand this
If I had to have a real come to Jesus moment with myself, I would have to admit that there are a LOT of things I like about 'other' bikes, and not so much on the Yamaha. I secretly cry every time I get off of Derek's bike and back on to my own.

E-start and a 6th gear would be totally rad to have.

The super awesome suspension on some of the bikes I ride makes me jealous... but then I remember that their suspension is not stock, and if I would spend the same amount of money on my own suspension, it would also be much much better.
Did you ride my 2019 stock?

And then I watch people try to start their 4 strokes, and I laugh.
You really haven't ridden with anyone who has a newer electric start 4 stroke then. I rode my 2019 300tx, 2018 350xc, 2019 450sx, 2018 350fx and 2019 KX450 all in the last 3 weeks or so and the KX450 legitimately starts faster than all of them :oops: weird huh?

And then I see the price of parts, and I feel bad for them.
Husky and KTM oem parts are as cheap or cheaper than Yamaha. Ask me how I know ;)

And then I ride in moab and break a lever or two and run into town to get replacement parts instead of having to drive back to salt lake.

KTM's use Brembos, Huskys use Brembos and Magura and Beta uses Nissan (the same as Yamaha...) all are pretty readily available.
What's really cool is my new 2019 has Magura brake levers that fold backwards stock AND the clutch and brake lever are the SAME so if I only have to carry one spare if I break one.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but NOST is a Cone valve solution, not applicable to Kayaba forks that Yamaha's come with.

To be honest, my 2016 300 is a great bike minus the fork. It's miles better than it was but it still isn't what it could be. My dilemma is, it's in the sweet spot hours wise for resale. I could move into a 19 KTM or Husky and have similar suspension stock, then save a bit and drop the NOST stuff in. If this bike had the suspension and the engine vibration damping of the newer bikes, I'd keep it.

Paul, Stratton, any reason you guys picked the Husky over the KTM?
SEX appeal only. (There are a few other reasons but nothing actually important) The new blue frame (like the Rockstar edition), D.I.D. wheels, Magura brakes, machined triple clamps, gripper seat cover, and the subframe is cool and it's not orange.

You could hypothetically replace the internals on almost any fork with cone valves. I don't know if Pete does that for Yamahas specifically but WP sells forks and shocks for literally any newish bike.

I might have kept my 2015 had I not had a suspension part break rebuilding it (that wasn't available for 2 weeks) and needed a bike for a race the next weekend (that they cancelled coincidentally). Also I had a good deal more hours on it that yours (like a hundred+ more) on it as well.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The AER fork is 1000 times better than the 4 CS so you would be as good or better in stock form than your current set up....IMO. My choice of the Husky over the KTM was solely on contingency support at Lorettas.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Most dealerships will sell their allotment and try to get bikes from other dealers. They really have no incentive to discount. I should clarify that I have had success after I have built a good relationship with the dealer. That relationship has gone beyond buying the bike. I have heard a lot of stories about all the dealerships and sometimes I scratch my head.

When I bought my new 300 I was out the door for around $250 less than what Stratton bought his at RMATV for. I know other people would not get that deal but I am pretty confident they could get close enough to St. George to come out even when you figure your time and cost to make the trip.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I talked to Edge, Monarch and Escape. None of them were interested in matching RMATV in Washington. Escape was close on a KTM but I want the Husky. Edge was $900 more than RMATV AFTER haggling. It will cost me about $100 to drive down and back, but I can ride it the day I pick it up:D

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Man....The more I think about this the more I am undecided. I've went back and forth several times between the xc and the TX. I might just have to stand next to them in the dealer and pick. They are so similar but just different enough.

Cascadia

Undecided
Escape in Provo matched RMATV’s price for my new 450 sxf. I didn’t get the 200$ gift card this time but I also didn’t have to head south when I wasn’t planning on it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Escape in Provo matched RMATV’s price for my new 450 sxf. I didn’t get the 200$ gift card this time but I also didn’t have to head south when I wasn’t planning on it.
If they sold albino KTM's I'd give them a chance. He was only $500 more than RMATV without haggling. I'm staking my decision on the white bike making me as fast as Paul. If not, I'll pull a Tyson and sell it in 3 months with 250 hours on it:D wait is it the 250 hours in 3 months that makes you faster? Nah, it's gotta be the bike.