Gear / Accessories What do you know about the Warn/Belleview 6000-8000 winch?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been looking for a highly sought after Warn 8274 for the Willys Crawler and this thing popped up locally for sale. I hoped it was a 8274 and the PO didn't seem to know. I made the deal in the dark last night, but after getting it home it seems to be a pre-'74 8000# Warn/Belleview that uses push/pull cable operated controls for the brake, clutch and pulling.

It looks to be in decent shape and I hear even these older Warns are pulling beasts. The older Warn winches will hold 150' of 5/16" cable, more than enought to get you out of trouble!! These winches actually ground thru the frame, so you only need one power wire from the battery to the winch motor. Pretty simple!

20210419_080857.jpg
20210419_080848.jpg

Warn has a great historical writeup on the Father of the 8274 - https://www.warn.com/the-history-of-the-warn-belleview-winch

There is quite a pit of info out there, but Warn no longer sells parts for these old things. Herm the Overdrive Guy offers parts and rebuilt units for $550, which is a nice option. - http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/rebuilt-bellview-60008000-lb-winches

Herm has all the parts too - http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/winches/parts-and-accessories

WinchCables.jpg

While it would be awesome on the right vehicle, I just don't know that it fits my Willys. I think I'd rather have a proper 8274.

Greg

Admin
So I just read that there is/was a conversion kit available to make these operate with a newer electric controller from Clemson 4WD.... but you still don't have the option to 'power out'. Not sure if those still exist, but it's worth researching! I'm curious what it would take...

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I had one ~25 years ago. It never gave me any issues and pulled hard. The braking mechanism is a bit weird but seemed to work ok. The brake is probably the weakest link on them, but as long as it's serviced It should be totally fine.

Greg

Admin
I have one of these kicking around too. Interested to see what you find out.

They're new to me, I've had several newer Warn winches but have always heard about the "venerable" 8274 (as the magazines always called them) and how powerful they were. Seems like these have the control quirks, but they're still solid winches.

I had one ~25 years ago. It never gave me any issues and pulled hard. The braking mechanism is a bit weird but seemed to work ok. The brake is probably the weakest link on them, but as long as it's serviced It should be totally fine.

With parts being available to replace the brake, it seems like it should be pretty simple to get it working like new again. I just read a thread on another Jeep forum where a guy modified the brake to use a disc from a motorcycle and a hydraulic caliper... and another guy used a cable operated caliper! Pretty ingenious!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I would still run a ground strap to one of the mount bolts so take some stress off your chassis ground straps unless you have some hefty chassis ground cables. That thing will look the part on the front of the willy-crawler.

Greg

Admin
I would still run a ground strap to one of the mount bolts so take some stress off your chassis ground straps unless you have some hefty chassis ground cables. That thing will look the part on the front of the willy-crawler.

Good call! I learned a lesson many years ago about proper grounding of components on a vehicle after chasing strange issues.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have most of the parts to assemble an 8274, wonder if you can blend the two ? I know you can still buy the parts I'm missing, just have to see if it would be worth it to make it complete.

Greg

Admin
I have most of the parts to assemble an 8274, wonder if you can blend the two ? I know you can still buy the parts I'm missing, just have to see if it would be worth it to make it complete.

I was wondering the same thing, Dave! What parts are you missing?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I was wondering the same thing, Dave! What parts are you missing?
The top gear case cover is damaged and I'm missing the non drive side drum mount. The motor also needs to be put back together and checked. I think everything else is somewhere in my piles of stuff.

Greg

Admin
The top gear case cover is damaged and I'm missing the non drive side drum mount. The motor also needs to be put back together and checked. I think everything else is somewhere in my piles of stuff.

If you ever want to sell it (or partial trade for a project Belleview) ;) let me know! The Belleview is awesome, but I'd still prefer an actual 8274.