What do you WANT to do?

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
As a spinoff of the "what do you do?" thread...

What's your dream job, goals, pastime, etc... What would you want to put your time and energy into doing? It could be short term or long term, but be specific.
(this theoretical scenario should still be bounded by reality and who you are, and to some degree your existing skillset/talents/interests)

My dream 'job' is to finish school with an engineering degree, and gain more knowledge and experience in business startup and management. What I'd do with this afterwards is somewhat less specific, but I'd really like to start a company working with brilliant people, develop something cool and meaningful that somehow actually really helps people and possibly solves some problem or limitation. For me this sounds like how I'd want to invest my time and energy.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I think if I could do one thing over it'd be to go straight into college out of high school. I think my ideal job would be as a geologist or similar for the Forest Service. I tried to go back to school a couple years ago and couldn't hack it, so I'm stuck where I'm at. I make damned good money for a guy without a degree, but it's not enough.

My goal now is to get debts paid off. Once we're not paying on the house I can quit my dead end soul sucking day job and take a chance on starting my own business. I have ideas for this and that, I'd like to have the freedom to invest some serious time into developing some of them.

Cascadia

Undecided
I build homes. My dream job would be to build more houses for people rather than specs. I'd also love to take over my in laws running store or a smoothie shop.

rustyoljeep

Soon to be Flinstoning it
I just want to get all my current debt paid off before it comes time to start paying back the student loans I'm racking up. And on top of that I'd like to do it with a part time job so I can focus more on this schooling that I'm paying so much for. But rent and a daily driven Jeep make that not a possibility. So for now, I'd like to find a job within walking distance or off of the Trax that has a flexible enough schedule to attend school full time, I can lose sleep to study if I have to.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've done manual labor, police work, and am now in IT. Other than the money I enjoy doing manual labor the most.

I'd think I'd like to try being a stay at home dad. My wife is nearly done with her PhD and started working in August, she is also pregnant with our first.

I'm not saying it would be easy because I know it wouldn't be, but I wouldn't mind staying home for a bit then figuring out a new gig.

LJENS

I've been going to school for about seven years now, with two more to go. When all's said and done I'll have my two year collision repair degree that I've earned money with, and a mechanical engineering degree that will be itching to be used. Firstly, I REALLY want to be done with school.
And second, I just want to solve problems. They don't even have to be big ones. I really liked body work because every car was a new puzzle. If I could put one qualifier on my future career, that would be it, in whatever shape it would take.

ricsrx

I'm through with standing in line
To clubs we'll never get in
It's like the bottom of the ninth
And I'm never gonna win
This life hasn't turned out
Quite the way I want it to be

I want a brand new house
On an episode of Cribs
And a bathroom I can play baseball in
And a king size tub big enough
For ten plus me

I'll need a credit card that's got no limit
And a big black jet with a bedroom in it
Gonna join the mile high club at thirty-seven thousand feet

I want a new tour bus full of old guitars
My own star on Hollywood Boulevard
Somewhere between Cher and James Dean is fine for me

I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame
I'd even cut my hair and change my name

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars
And live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars
The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap
We'll all stay skinny 'cause we just won't eat
And we'll hang out in the coolest bars
In the VIP with the movie stars
Every good gold digger's gonna wind up there
Every Playboy Bunny with her bleached blond hair, and well

Hey hey I wanna be a rockstar

I wanna be great like Elvis without the tassels
Hire eight body guards that love to beat up assholes
Sign a couple autographs so I can eat my meals for free

I'm gonna dress my ass with the latest fashion
Get a front door key to the Playboy mansion
Gonna date a centerfold that loves to blow my money for me

I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame
I'd even cut my hair and change my name

'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars
Every Playboy Bunny with her bleached blond hair

And we'll hide out in the private rooms
With the latest dictionary and today's who's who
They'll get you anything with that evil smile
Everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial, well

I'm gonna sing those songs that offend the censors
Gonna pop my pills from a pez dispenser
I'll get washed-up singers writing all my songs
Lip sync 'em every night so I don't get 'em wrong

Well, we all just wanna be big rockstars
Every Playboy Bunny with her bleached blond hair

And we'll hide out in the private rooms
With the latest dictionary and today's who's who
They'll get you anything with that evil smile
Everybody's got a drug dealer on speed dial, well

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
With my current job and experience that goes with it I'm hoping to get some sort of Safety degree and try to get in as a Ground Safety Manager for the Forest Service after I retire from Active Duty. Hopefully up on the Oregon coast but I'd settle for Washington as well.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I would love to get back into drag racing and have enough money to do that full-time. That would be my "dream job".

Other than that I would just like to be able to work full-time from my home shop and make enough to live comfortably.

Mike.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'd love to do what I love...

Crawling or offroad racing would be great obviously. Other than that I'm just keeping my head down, working and developing new business ideas that I hope to start one day. Some ideas are pretty good and could actually happen.

Troop92

I should have jumped to Masters after I got my undergrad. My degree was in Russian with a Business minor. Should have followed with MBA or Masters in Russian. I taught in college (Russian 101/102 and Independent Study Russian) and loved it.

Cards on the table - I'd love to have a few car dealerships. I love cars, know every stat, what's good and what's not. Yes.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Right now, my dream job would be to work as a Jeep tour guide in Moab. I already love the hobby, and I always enjoy leading a group on a trail run (especially when some/all of the participants have never been Jeeping or have never seen the trail before). It always makes me smile to see somebody gasp at gorgeous scenery, or to see their enjoyment at conquering terrain they previously thought impossible to traverse.

On a related note, a good friend of mine owns his own Jeep tour business in Moab (Outlaw Jeep Tours). I shared my dream with him, and he said he'd hire me in a second. If only I thought it could really work out financially....

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My thing is that I really like to learn things but when the "newness' wears off I get an itch to try something else. I've been able to manage my ADHD pretty well the last few years but it still gets the best of me quiet frequently.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I wish I had a retirement plan. I'm really happy with the company I work for. I feel really blessed. I make pretty good money. I can usually buy what I want. Within reason. It would always be nice to have more in savings, more guns and more cars, and a bigger garage to hold lots of toys. But I"m content.

I like tinkering with old cars and then selling them for a fat profit. But if I did that for a living, I'd have to have a lot more volume.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
My bachelors degree is in Outdoor Recreation. I'd like to be a Rec. Planner with the BLM or F/S. That was the goal anyway, I think I could affect recreation on public lands for the better and get paid to do it. Those jobs don't come available often though, so for now I like where I am.