Trip Report What happened to me on Golden Spike on 3/30. EJS 2021

Subarudude54

My first trail for Safari was Golden Spike, got past the Poison Spider obstacles and then went up Launch pad and I heard a clunk sound occasionally from the front. Decided to head back after surmising my transfer case had broken. Bart was gunning and got me back down to the parking lot giving me a strap on 3 or 4 climbs. I feel awful in that I interrupted his day. Put the ZJ back on the trailer and came home. Jeep Safari doesn't like me. In 2019 I blew up a OX locker on Devil's crack and Safari ended for me then. Last year it was canceled and this year.... I do Winter 4X4 jamboree, Vernal Rock Rally, and Trail Hero with out much problems, but Safari doesn't like me. Done several TOM's with Red Rock and many trails with MFFW. In fact I think when I show up for a trail run with MFFW that Dee calls Rory thinking I won't make it and I never need him.

After being depressed for a few days, I started to work on my rig. The transfer case is fine. I stripped a number of teeth of the ring gear in the front axle. So I ordered parts and will rebuild it. I noticed also the left axle shaft was had shown some fatigue, twisting at the splines. At winter 4X4 I went into Hardtop Ally at the top of Sliplock Gulch, I snapped a rear axle shaft, and I suppose this is when I also stressed the front axle. It's probably been on a timer since then. Next is Vernal Rock Rally in June.

And again, thank you so much Bart for getting me out safely!20210410_104423.jpg20210410_104453.jpg