What hunts ya doin?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
general season deer and book cliffs elk…..if I draw.

Thinking about doing some of the hunting expo tags. 5 bucks for extra chances to draw tags.

DAA

I went down and validated my $125 donation for expo tags yesterday. The odds on them are so terrible anymore, I really do consider putting in for them a donation. But I play the Powerball and the Mega Millions too, so why not play the Expo Tags lottery as well...

And I don't expect to draw another limited entry tag in this state in my lifetime either. Got a Books deer tag a few years ago. Had to put in for elk for a couple of years with no points and no hope. Since by the time I'd have even a prayer for drawing an elk tag, I'll be too old to handle a dead elk on the ground by myself, I switched back to putting in for deer this year. With zero points and zero hope. But at least if I do manage to live another 20 years and get to where I actually have a prayer at drawing a tag, I might still be able to take care of a dead deer by myself.

Bowhunting was such a bitter disapointment last year that after 35 years of chasing mulies with a bow, I decided I'm pretty well done with it. Not going back to the spot I've been hunting the last 20 years again, anyway.

There is a spot I can almost see from my house, above the B in Bountiful where me and my buds used to take some decent buck with the rifles, so I just put in for that. But I won't kill one up there unless it is at least the 2nd biggest one I've ever killed, so, even if I draw the tag, I don't expect to kill one. I do expect to see a solid sea of blaze orange up there...

And... As much as it dismays and even shocks me to be saying it, I think if I do draw that general season rifle tag and hunt the Hell Hole this year, one last time, just for old times sake, that will be it. Think I'm just done with hunting big game in this state, unless a miracle happens and I draw a LE tag again.

It's just gone too far downhill. For the last ten years at least, I've just been going to enjoy the experience, not to kill an animal. But after the crowds and the clowns and the harrassment from the fish cops the last couple of years, I'm not even enjoying the experience anymore. So to hell with it. Think I'm about done...

- DAA

D

Deleted member 12904

I am going to put in for general season deer Rife for the first time ever but will do muzzle loader and archery as second and third choice. Im not sure if I will enjoy rife but why not give it a shot. I do like muzzleloader the best.

I have also never hunted elk but I do have 3 bonus bull elk points Im not sure if that enough to get a tag or not but I think I will put in for a hunt this year instead of just buying a point.

Westernhunter

This year I am going to focus on my kids getting a chance to hunt.
Deer for the 12 year old, elk for my 16.
I'll probably just get an OTC elk tag. Need to put meat in the freezer:)

O'neal

?????????
Gen for deer and elk and pray the season is wet,cold and nasty! Keep's hunter's at bay so I can play and get into less traveled area's in the zuk.

wheelewagon

This year I am going to focus on my kids getting a chance to hunt.
Deer for the 12 year old, elk for my 16.
I'll probably just get an OTC elk tag. Need to put meat in the freezer:)

It's always fun to get the kids out for their first hunts. Should be alot of fun for you.

Did anyone check out the hunting expo this weekend?

wheelewagon

How is the hunting in the mother land of Utah? I watch a video series called The Truth and I dont think they have been to Utah. Just curious is all.

LT.

From my personal experience it's been tough for Utah residents anymore. The possibility of drawing A tag If your A resident has become very hard. Why sell A resident A tag at $65.0 when you can sell A none resident A tag for $350.+? I have good friends that have been having good luck the couple years, but me and my family sure haven't. We usually just do archery deer hunt, and more and more it's become A joke. Just becoming tons of people, people taking 100+ yard shots, people seeing you stock a deer so they go up around and try to get it before you, etc... I hate to say it but I'm kind of giving up on our area. But it's tradition, and I'm sure I'll still do it every year their just for that. But thinking a lot harder about doing more different hunts instead of investing so much time, money, and effort into our usual bow hunt.

Me, my bro, and my dad did A ram hunt last year. It was A ranch hunt. But it was mostly for my dad. We had so much fun though. Met great people and the hole thing was A great experience. Not saying we will or won't ever do another ranch hunt again. But it really made us think more about starting to do more things like that. We're talking of doing A prong horn hunt on our own up it Wyoming this year.

LT.

Wheelewagon- Thank you. I dont me to hi jack but, here in my home state of New Mexico we had a similar issue with out of stat tags vs resident tags. Lots of letters to our elected officials later and the numbers are much better for residents than it has ever been.

LT.

wheelewagon

Wheelewagon- Thank you. I dont me to hi jack but, here in my home state of New Mexico we had a similar issue with out of stat tags vs resident tags. Lots of letters to our elected officials later and the numbers are much better for residents than it has ever been.

LT.

That's good to here.

Houndoc

CWMU deer as first dream (hope with 8 points some luck soon), general deer with Central Mountains Manti/San Rafael as top unit. Purchased another moose bonus point.

Son (age 16) also trying for Management Buck and youth late season elk tags.

Will probably also do doe antelope in Wyoming again.

wheelewagon

Well finally decided and put in for my hunts. I put in for archery deer, rifle antelope, henry buffalo, and I decided do try turkey hunting this year. I don't have high hopes of getting A turkey but should be A fun new experience non the less.

DAA

So... I'm hearing from my friends about getting emails with their draw results. I didn't get an email. So I just logged in to the DWR site to check. I blanked. Didn't draw anything. Not even general season deer. No hunts for me this year. Thanks Utah.

I really thought I'd never think this, let alone say it, but, I'm taking this as a sign. I don't think I'm going to bother even trying to hunt big game in Utah anymore.

- DAA