what is the common consensus on the Bias ply swamper TSL?

How good are bias ply TSL swampers (non SX)

• Great tire. I have run them and love them.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Horrible tire, nothing but bad experiences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK tire for offroad only onroad is crap

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Dont know never ran them or know anyone that has run them.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • BUY them and see for yourself....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I am looking at some for a DD/exploratory trail rig in the 33" flavor. What is the common consensus as to how good these tires are offroad versus onroad versus tread life under a YJ?!?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have yet to run a bias set so far (got a set of SX's sitting in my garage right now) but I have been running a set of 36" radial TSL's for the past year and they have treated me very well. With the exception of the wear, but that is mostly from my spooled rear. They are decent on the road even though I have never balanced them.

I grooved the center pattern for more flexibility on the rocks and have worked really well. I can't wait to try my new SX's though. :D

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I'm running the 36" tsl's on my Scrambler. They get horrible flat spots from sitting but once they heat up, they seem to be ok. I wouldn't recommend them if it is your daily though. They work quite well off road though! I'd buy em again, but my rig doesn't see much road time either:cool:

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I have 36 tsl sx on my CJ and I am really happy with them...
I wouldn't pay full price for em' but if I were to find another good deal I would definetly buy them again.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Love them, and they are my favorite tire at the moment (but looking forward to see how the Krawlers work in St. George). I have nothing but good things to say about the 35" or 38.5" SX's off-road. However, on road the 35's are notoriously nasty "out of round" tires (varying in "nastiness" :D) and the 38.5's are much better. I hear the same thing from most people too. I don't have any first hand experience with the 33's though, sorry. Any of these tires wear out fairly quick as you'd imagine, so I don't know if I'd run them on a DD. Same goes for the reg. bias ply TSL's. I know you run SSR's on your Zuk, will that not work for your needs? That would be a much better choice I think.

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
here is another question..... what is the diff between the TSL and the TSL-SX? is it just the extra tread on the sidewall or is there a difference in the carcass itself? (still talking bias-ply to bias ply)

P

pokeyYJ

I ran a set of baby swampers on my YJ before I lifted it, they were the 30-11.50-r15's, half bald, rode like SH**, got great traction offroad. But on my DD I couldn't listen to C/D's because the ride was so bad they would skip all the time, remember this is before lift and the stock springs rode pretty good.

I liked my TSL-SX's Bias ply, but when I pulled away from the tire store with my 31-10.50's BFG AT's I thought that there was something wrong because the ride was SOOOO much better.

I would say that even with my Rough Country 4" (stiffer than HE!! springs) the ride is still better than with the swampers. I don't think that on my DD I would run swampers again.

WJL

For a DD I would not go with a swamper. Flat spots, noisy, quick wearing, roughfer ride.
go with radial BFG AT or MT even the MTR.

Just 2 cents.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
%100 of my experience with bias ply tires is with SXs. I love em. Don't know how much different the TSLs would be, but if they are anything like SXs you will love them. Great offroad, and really not that bad on road.