What is the future of rockcrawling?

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I guess I should explain why I ask. I was reading an article in FOUR WHEELER magazine today, and it made me wonder how many people out there think that all this competition stuff is too much? And if all of the new stuff (new stuff being independent suspension rock buggies and such) takes away from the driving skill part of four wheeling? I know from personal experience that almost every upgrade I have made to my Bronco has improved my driving skills or so it seems to me. Maybe I'm wrong. My next project for my Bronco involves doing alot of things I never thought I would ever do to it. Do people out grow what their viehicle is capable of? I think it depends on whether you see it or not. All I know is that most of us strive to improve our viehicles, and our driving skills. It all boils down to personal preference, but I would still like to know how many of you support these changes, and what it's doing for our favorite past time/obsession?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i dont think that what any group of people change as far as technology, changes anything having to do with my type or wheeling. the future of the sport is the individual or small group out to have fun in whatever level of extremism they want. if you hang with a crowd that is psycho-extreme tube frame style, then chances are that you end up in the same technology groove as your peers. i hang mostly with zuk guys and occasionally with some jeepers so our tech level meets our convenient terrain. we dont have the need for massive tires and suspension or tube frames because we have no desire , collectively, to go that route. we just want to have capable rigs that we can have fun with on the weekends. the future resides in the individual.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I think as far as competition is concerned it's great. The competative end of it has really started bringing the spot light to our sport, and its also giving us some good press. But on the same note the bigger spot light is a bad thing too. We're bound to get more inexperienced drivers in their DDs on trails that they shouldn't be on, putting theirs and others lives in danger.
As for the recreationalists that the majority of us seem to be I don't think it changes to much for us other than newer and better products being made for our rigs. Driving might be made easier over the current trail you do, but then with the new upgrades you're able to take on new trails that challenges your new found level of driving. Yes we are progressing at quite the rate and some trick rigs are now being built commercially, but there will always be some guy out in the garage building the next thing that gets all of us ooohhhing and aaahhhing over.

controlfreak

This is similar to the ski vs. snowboard debate. As long as you're having fun at what you enjoy doing who cares what you're doing it in. I think the hardcore competion is great, so are the weekend wheelers like me who only have a few $K invested in there beater trucks. Just have fun and ultimately the more voting wheelers we get out there the better our chances are of keeping all our trails open and creating more where it is appropriate, like the west desert in Utah. I've been kicking around an idea and I'd appreciate any input anyone has. Given ARCA and UROC and all the other rockcrawling events popping up, and the extremely cool rigs these guys are puting together, how would everyone feel about a stock only or near stock competition. Kind of a combo event like the Safari Triathalon in Florida. Vehicles would have to be street legal, licensed, registered, insured and pass a Trooper's scrutiny prior to competion. Meaning; mud flaps, compliance with lift laws, tire size, etc... There could be mud, rocks, sand to test the vehicle in all terrain. Just an idea but with the right sponsor who knows?:)

grinch

inner city redneck
I love the direction its going. I belive vehicles are getting more technacle because people have pushed the limits of thier stock and semi modified rigs. I know I like the extream stuff that is not always possible or even safe in one of the lesser modified rigs.
Roll cages now are tied into frames and suspentions, lockers are a must, low gears and a heavy right foot are becomming popular, all of this stuff is good to see. Plus I get a thrill out of seeing what I can actually build myself. It is a real ego builder and brings me satisfaction knowing I built it and not some deep wallet....
But this is just my opnion.

Too Far

parts is parts
Competition has separated the backyard hack from the top shelf pro.
As a backyard hack I love to see the competition rigs, but I know that they are far out of my reach. I hate to see it become a rich mans sport, but competition usually rewards deep pockets.
There must come some sort of backlash because not many people can keep up with the curve. When Jhon Q. Public realizes that it isnt a good idea to take a second out on the house to mod his truck there will be a resurfacing of basic capable 4X4's. The end result is that we will all realize that wheeling is fun no matter what you drive.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
this is a big issue for me. i think if you had competetions like IROC, it would be a little more fair but who would sponsor such an endeavour with identical rigs?!? driving is such a big portion of competetion, that we see rig builders thinking they are drivers. for example, SKY's up north here. They build amazing looking rigs in concept but they couldn't compete with their driving skills to save their lives. they are builders and very busy at what they do. i was disappointed recently at how UROC had slid right into the ARCA arena. Craig started UROC as a poor-mans ARCA but now it is on the same eschelon as the pros. they are trying to have a lower class but it is still pretty amazing the time and money spilt into these rigs!! i am all for competetion because it makes innovators of us all. it makes our minds work harder because we are under some sort of pressure.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Too Far
The end result is that we will all realize that wheeling is fun no matter what you drive.

Exactly. Except I would add: "...and how you drive it." :D

clinth

I agree, wheelin is fun stuff and it continue to grow as long as their is interest in the sport. But we need to remember the two driving forces behind the competitive rockcrawling compared to the weekend wheeler. Sponsors and spectators/viewers. With out the big money sponsors are offering this sport would not be growing at a rate it is now. And as long as product sales are up from the increased sales, sponsors will continue to sponsor these events. Which is great because new product are being developed but what happens when every one has the same stuff or allready have the best axle? Then product sales decrease and sponsors will not be making the money needed to sponsor certain events? I think we will start to see the number of new events slow down but I belive it will become a motorsport that will be here for a while. But that's just my opinion.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by Too Far
Competition has separated the backyard hack from the top shelf pro.
As a backyard hack I love to see the competition rigs, but I know that they are far out of my reach. I hate to see it become a rich mans sport, but competition usually rewards deep pockets.
There must come some sort of backlash because not many people can keep up with the curve. When Jhon Q. Public realizes that it isnt a good idea to take a second out on the house to mod his truck there will be a resurfacing of basic capable 4X4's. The end result is that we will all realize that wheeling is fun no matter what you drive.

Well put. Except for the fact that everyone has to start somewhere, and that is where the backyard comes in. As for the hack part, I think that it depends on the person. I have humble bedinings, hell I'm still there. I was so paranoid about how my Bronco would do in my first competition that I was a wreck. But I found out you get the respect by just showing up and doing the best you can, so it really doesn't matter what it looks like or where you built it as long as it's safe. The biggest problem I see is that everyone treats competitors like they are some how gifted or something.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't know where the future is headed, but I honestly don't think you can rightly call it 'RockCrawling' any more. After seeing some of the recent Competitions, I think the sport is going to need a name change. More like..... 'RockRacing'. All they need to add is a Christmas Tree at the start gate, and a Radar gun at the end of the course. There is little crawling these days. They find the steepest cliff and see who has the biggest balls to go full throttle up it. Is it captavating? Hell yeah, it is. Can I do that? Probably not.

I know that last Rant makes me sound bitter, but I'm not. The past has been good, but the Future is going to be better as the new found Technology trickles down to the average Weekend Wheeler. 37" MT/R's for $175?? Yep! Was a 37", Radial, Rockready tire a possability 4 years ago? No way! But due to the fast growth of the sport, things like that are here to stay.

For me personally, the Future of Rockcrawling involves a License Plate and Mud Flaps. I would love to have a full Tube buggy, but the reality is that I need a rig that I can drive on the street and be able to wheel trails like Upper and Lower Helldorado, Pritchett and so on. Thats all I have for now!

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Cool, I love hearing what you guys think. Sorry that last post was not quite finished. What I wanted to say is that there is a curve, but look at Chris Durhams viehicle, it's simple. I'm by no means loaded or even close to any sort of big money, but I do agree that big money gets taken care of. But, if you had big money you would want to be taken care of too right? After all, those are the guys developing the new technology in rockcrawling, that is the stuff that trickles down in to the real world, and some time saves us all money. I am so very thankful for the opportunities I have, and the people I meet whether I am at a rockcrawl (rockrace) or out on the trail, or on this board. speaking of this board, it really helps when your junk is broke down to get some insight. It helps take the burn out of being burned out, well at least me any ways. By the way thanks to every one who has posted so far.

Andy

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by onetuff76
37" MT/R's for $175?!?! what? where?:confused: :confused:

:D :D :D

Discount Tires SLC Warehouse is the connection for the West, from what I understood. At $175 a piece, it's less than the 35" MT/R!! :eek: