What needs to be done to run ARB w/ CO2?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
So I'm looking into CO2 options to run the ARB I'm buying. What parts do I need. I heard you can lease a CO2 bottle--if so do I need to buy an adjustable regulator, or a fixed one? If fixed, at what PSI? What kind of hoses and fittings do I need? Is there a way I can detach the bottle and use it to air up?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Cody

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you really need to get a regulator. i would personally buy one of those 4x4 co2 tanks. i have seen them and they look really nice and highly portable too. you have to run a regulator or you will blow out all your seals and such with the full pressure of the tank going into the ARB. check out those powertanks they are nice! you can run airtools with them too. the problem for me is that tanks weigh a lot and i run a zuk so i have to keep things compact and light.

Brent

another nobody
cody, you'll need at least one regulator taking it from tank pressure to whatever you want it to be at, if your running your arb off it, you will want that set at 85-90, but if you want to run air tools, you'll want 120-150 for that and airing up tires, so if you had a regulator to take if off the tank down to 150, stick an air chuck on then another to take it down to 90, then the arb solenoids off that.

check out factory's prices on the tanks and setup, they sell them,
799-0586

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm probably best off buying an adustable regulator.

I like the power tanks, but they want more for them than I paid for my axle.

Other than the source, everything else is the same for setting up the arb w/ c02? The C02 isn't corrosive to the system is it?

Cody

Ryan

Build your own CO2 setup and save a buttload of money. Search the forum at Pirate4x4.com, there's a ton of info on how to build it, where to get the parts, blah, blah, blah. You can get a fixed 150 psi regulator for about $40, and then put the adjustable on after that. I've heard of a lot of people building a set up for around $100-150.

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Another option (one that I'd do over the CO2) is just go to onboardair.com and buy the setup to run a york or sanden (I think that's the rotary compressor they use) off your I-6.

It's a bit more money up front but once it's paid for it's free! You don't have to pay to fill up your CO2 tank and you don't have to worry about running out of air (or CO2). This is the way I'd go.
Scott

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
Originally posted by GroceryGetter
Yeah, I'd say it would cost more money. What do v8 to i6 engine swaps cost these days? :D :D :D

Eh.... V8.....I6 They're all the same anyway huh?

I'd go to the website and shoot kilby out an email and ask him if he's working on (or already has) a V8 kid for OBA. If he doesn't then maybe you can work out a deal to test out a setup?

Worth a shot at the very least.
Scott

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'll look into the compressor. Their are a few who have done one on their 5.2, but I'm afraid it takes lots of work that I have neither the experience nor money to get done.