Topic of Discussion What ONE 4x4 trail have you wanted to run, but never have or will be able to?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just as the title says, what ONE 4x4 trail have you wanted to run but never had the chance to? Or will be able to?

For me, it's Surprise Canyon to Panamint Valley, CA. The trail was closed to vehicles many years ago and it still under a massive fight to restore 4x4 access.... but it's CA and getting access back isn't looking good. Surprise Canyon has 7 waterfall obstacles, located in a tight canyon with water running down the trail. It requires a combination of deep gearing and winching. I remember seeing pics from Surprise Canyon in magazines many years ago and thinking how challenging and fun it looked.

4351.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I like your choice of surprise canyon Greg. Would be a great trail to try someday. Might consider a spin-off thread to discuss obstacles we've not conquered. Maybe I'm the only one, but I have 2 obstacles I've fought multiple times and haven't been able to make it up without a winchline (Ingrids revenge @ Superlift, and Chewy Hill - Pritchett Canyon)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The Canning Stock Route has been on my radar since I was probably 15 and read about it in an issue of 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine. I know three people who have done it; Kurt and two of my Aussie acquaintances and they all talked about how epic it was. I'd like to say that one day I'll be able to organize a trip or tag along on one (the more likely scenario), but its definitely in the scant possibility category in the near term.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just as the title says, what ONE 4x4 trail have you wanted to run but never had the chance to? Or will be able to?

For me, it's Surprise Canyon to Panamint Valley, CA. The trail was closed to vehicles many years ago and it still under a massive fight to restore 4x4 access.... but it's CA and getting access back isn't looking good. Surprise Canyon has 7 waterfall obstacles, located in a tight canyon with water running down the trail. It requires a combination of deep gearing and winching. I remember seeing pics from Surprise Canyon in magazines many years ago and thinking how challenging and fun it looked.

4351.jpg
I remember following trip reports on the old pbb for surprise canyon. I completely forgot it was shut down!

RockChucker

There’s lots of trails I want to run but haven’t. And that are still open. But the closed ones…
1. Pittsburg lake
2. Upper and Lower Proving Grounds
3. A bunch of stuff at Area BFE

OCNORB

Supporting Member
It’s still possible, but I’ve never made it to HITR or finished the Rubicon. Surprise Canyon was definitely the raddest back in the day.
I was fortunate enough to have run the entirety of Moab Rim back before they closed a portion of it under the WSA. Not sure many remember that it was longer.