What truck next, the Kevin B. edition.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mileage hit is about all your dealing with. Major upgrade for campability. You know about the spark plug/head issue, so that's an even trade off. A maybe pick up a small utility trailer if you find do you miss having a bed.

sixstringsteve

Sounds like a good plan. I prefer ifs over solid front axle, but it sounds like you're done with TV. Those v10s like to rev and are found in almost every gas rv these days. Excursions are spendy, aren't they?

Kevin B.

Big hippy
was there a stock extended range gas tank ?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that! 44-45 gallon tanks are apparently standard :oops:. Never carry a jerry can again.

A maybe pick up a small utility trailer if you find do you miss having a bed.

Been doing that anyway, what with the shell on the bed. And I'm reading that the Ex never went to the 3v, so it might spit plugs but they won't break when I change them and there's no cam phasers to screw with.

Can you store the bike in the back of the Excursion?

Same way it fits in the bed of the F150, I'm sure. Seatpost out and front wheel off. It's a big bike.

It won't turn as good with front leaves.

Thus negating the advantage of the shorter wheelbase. Nice. :D

Sounds like a good plan. I prefer ifs over solid front axle, but it sounds like you're done with TV. Those v10s like to rev and are found in almost every gas rv these days. Excursions are spendy, aren't they?

That one Josh linked is, but that's a Powerstroke. The V10 models seem to be in a little more realistic price range.

What's a D50? That's like 60 outers with D44 guts, is that right?

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Actually seems to be a fair amount of 7.3's for not an unreasonable amount of money. Gasser's are a lot cheaper than I thought, some super cheap ones if you want to do some body work or replace a fuel pump.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I’ve been through a few Super Duty trucks and one Excursion. I’d buy one. See if you can get one with the 4.30 gears, swap to F350 springs and drive it. Good rigs. I got about 12 mpg freeway with my 3.73 geared 35” tires 6” lift F250. 8-9 mpg towing

Hah, that's exactly what Brett was saying, aim for the 4.30 and swap in F350 springs right away. It's almost like you two have driven a Ford or two.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hah, that's exactly what Brett was saying, aim for the 4.30 and swap in F350 springs right away. It's almost like you two have driven a Ford or two.

I wouldn’t kill myself looking for the 4.30. Nothing wrong with a quick regear to what you’d like. The 4.30 just seem like a GREAT match for the V10 and 34-35” tires. Excursion leaf springs are NOT made to tow a damn thing. The fronts are in the bumpstops within about 1-2”. Ford marketing folks probably made a stupid call there. Excursions are pretty portly beasts. Close to 8000 lbs if not over

Oh, ANY Lariat or leather truck’s seats will be craptastic by now. Most upholstery shops have very reasonably priced seat repair/coverings. I think they are reasonable because there’s such a need for decent repairs? I had multiple quotes a couple years ago for $1200-1700 for front/rear seats in my F350 (that I wish I would have kept). I’ve seen the cloth hold up pretty well and I’ve also seen it shredded when perusing.

There’s probably another Super Duty in my near future. Likely dump the 8.1 Suburban and the HO 4.0L MJ and buy something. Not sure if I’d get a 7.3 or a V10. Both have their benefits. BE INFORMED IF LOOKING AT A 6.0L FORD DIESEL. There’s a couple 6.0 threads on this board that will tell you what you need to know

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Stay away? Very very far away? Pretty sure thats what you need to know

That’s my take on a 6.0 despite them being excellent trucks except for the craptastic engine. Some will argue the merits of a “bulletproofed” 6.0 but despite that treatment, I’ve never known anyone to keep their 6.0 trucks long at all. I’m sure there are exceptions. Chevrolet Vega and Ford Pinto are still out there despite their known issues

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My last 250 was a V-10 with the 430 gears. You could tow a house with that thing. It’ll pass everything but a gas station.

Plan on replacing the ball joints, if they haven’t been already. I too blew a plug out on #5 cylinder. Not a huge deal to repair. Also, they ride like shit, so keep that in mind.

I’ve recently gone back to Chevy and can’t say enough good about the change. Much nicer interior and ride, just not quite the power of the V-10. The trade off is well worth it just for the mileage improvement.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I LOVE the power train. Rear suspension is pretty sweet. REALLY not a big fan of the IFS or the seats/seating position. Storage spaces are surprisingly lacking in this big thing. However, for the $ I spent, it’s a hell of a tow rig. I’ve daily driven it pretty much since Feb? 14-15 mpg to work. 9 mpg to Moab a few trips. Nothing to complain about there. Just more comfortable in a Super Duty (similar to you in Toyota’s?)

If this happened to get wrecked, I’d buy it back from insurance and put the powertrain in a solid axle GM crew cab. Think this with 4 doors and good AC.

26DAC486-6EC6-47D6-960F-05AF1FBCF6C4.jpeg

Something like the below? (The above is a truck I completed in ‘97 and sold in about 2004 :( ). Less wheel and more sidewall but pretty much that.

9CBB76EB-08C8-4509-AC6E-86A1F9022595.jpeg

Last edited: