What's in my pack: my ultralight backpacking setup for a quick overnighter

ID Bronco

a tarp.

I tried to go the bivy-only route, with no other shelter, but my boots, pack, and other odds and ends were always outside the bivvy, getting wet. So now I use my bug net bivvy underneath a square tarp. For waterproof fabrics, I much prefer event over goretex.

So is your bivvy in this scenario only for bugs, snakes, creeping things?

sixstringsteve

Since 90% of my backpacking is with a floorless shelter (a tarp or a 'mid), it's nice to have something between my pad and the ground along with bug protection should the bugs be super bad. It also keeps my pad, pillow, and bag all in one place. I've flipped it upside down in a light drizzle (with no other shelter), and it kept me dry enough (though not entirely dry).

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have used tyvek before and it is great emergency stuff. I usually rip it too often for it to be my main raingear.

Does that 2xl suit you linked ACTUALLY weigh 2.4 oz like the link says?

sixstringsteve

I heard tyvek is water resistant, but not truly waterproof. I remember tarptent made a tyvek tent and they announced that it wasn't waterproof and it couldn't withstand a lot of rain.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I heard tyvek is water resistant, but not truly waterproof. I remember tarptent made a tyvek tent and they announced that it wasn't waterproof and it couldn't withstand a lot of rain.
True, Tyvek is not a waterproof material, it is meant to breath in both directions while helping keep water from penetrating but it will not work in direct contact with the water. There are also several different types of tyvek material for different uses.