What's your best 4x4 'Hey, watch this' move?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Meaning, how did you really screwup when you planned to do something really COOL?

Mine best story has to be my most recent incident-

Just when we stared getting alot of snow after Thanksgiving, me and a friend of mine decided to head up AF Canyon and do some night-time snow wheelin. (Just to qualify my story, I had worked 48 hrs in the last 4 days and I had just recently finished my last day of work) The snow on the way up the canyon was AWSOME. Just above the switchbacks, where the road is cut into the cliff, there had been a few small avalanches that covered the road completely. The snow was still soft enough that we could drive thru it though, but as we leaned towards the edge of the cliff, the pucker factor was tearing the seat covers off!!! Anyhow, we almost got to the turnoff to Pittsburg Lake, before it was impossiable to go any further. We each needed tugs with the strap a few times. I would guess the snow was around 5' deep. I got buried after sliding off the road, and once out, we decided to head back home. On the way back down, I decided that it would be fun to bash the huge drifts on the sides of the road. At one point, I crossed a switchback early, getting real steep, real fast instead of following the switchback. So, just under those switch backs I was feeling pretty confident (Or tired......). I was crusing down the road and decided to go up the side of the road. At this point was the "Watch this........" The road turned right, so I drive left to get a better approach on the hill side, then swung the steering wheel to the right to make the climb. But......the tires slid more than I thought and we hit the roadside totally sideways, not straight on as I wanted. Both the front tires climbed, but on a freaky angle. Then, we got tossed off the hill. I thought it was fast, my passenger thought it was slow. Whatever.......The truck landed HARD on the drivers side, and started to go onto the roof. Luckily, we didn't have enought momentum to do that, so we rocked back on our side. My passenger stared to laugh so hard, I thoought he was gonna pass out! Well, to wrap it up, we got out a come-along and got it back on all 4. I got home at about 2 am!!

So thats my best "Hey, watch this......" Whats yours?????????

jp008

I was out at Sand Mountain last year playing around with a bunch of other zuks. They were hitting the top of this dune and bringing the front tires off the ground, I thought to myself "hell I can do that". That was the mistake. I lined up and by the time I got to the top of the dune I realized I was going WAY TOO FAST. I was told I was about 7 feet in the air and flew about 30 feet out (or down the other side of the dune). Well needless to say I lost a left front flare and my front axle housing was now smiling at everyone that saw it from the front. /---O-\ OUCH! I still drove home after the weekend was over and straightened when I got back.

This pic was taken just as I was coming off the dune.

Ryan

Hmmm, well--I rolled on purpose, totaled my vehicle, took a ride in an ambulance, had to have my head stapled back together, cops showed up and towed my vehicle, almost got a ticket, had to pay the $300 tow charge, found out my wife was pregnant at the hospital, blah, blah, blah... Still hurts(in more ways than one).