Wheelin/Trail Goals for 2021

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
EJS is on my schedule. My wife tells me a Sand Hollow trip may need to happen as well.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
My goal is to be able to hit trails in 2021.😬
2020 was a "Jeep is dead" year...
I do want to spend a lot of time out by the pony express/west desert now that my wife and I are moving to Eagle Mountain come April.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd love to run Hole in the Rock again. The Rubicon, too.

Trails I don't have a rig for (yet), but would like to plan RME trips to are Hanging Tree, 21 Road and Billings, etc.

I really need to spend time in Sand Hollow as well too, run the Barracks trail.

Far as Moab, Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim, Cliffhanger and the Pickle are on my radar.

RockChucker

Its not bad as far as difficulty, but its LONG and fairly rough. It will test your vehicle and find the weak points. HITR is usually done over 3 days, so that's a lot of wheelin.
How many miles is it? I'd like to do it someday. Sounds like a good opportunity for a speed run :grimacing:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
HITR is 30+ miles in, 30+ miles out. 30 of the 60 miles are rough with several miles of fairly technical wheeling (rated 5 or 6 likely). It is a great trail, but long and rough on equipment.

I came across a few vehicles on 33's on the trail. There are a few spots that would be difficult on 31's with a long wheelbase, but doable with rock stacking and a good driver. We did it in 2020 over 4 days. 4 days was about right to me.

Pile of parts

We did it in 2020 over 4 days. 4 days was about right to me.
I had the fortune, or misfortune of running it last May. We had planned on an overnight, with a stop at the overlook where the wagons came up and backtracking to the Rincon to camp by the lake for the night. However, as has been stated, it put my Jeep to the test and I had an overheating issue. That led to 10-15 minutes stretches of driving with about 30 minute cool down periods in between. I tried to convince my group to camp at the lake and my wife and I would limp along the trail towards camp. They wouldn't have it and, long story short, we did an in and back in one LOOONG day. Glad to have seen it but it's going to take a while before I want to go back there again.

4 days total would be about right. Drive to and camp at the trailhead. One day in. Camp on the trail. One day out, returning to the trailhead camp and going home the next day.