When We Were Young Festival

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Back in 2017 I saw The Get Up Kids on their 20th anniversary tour for Four Minute Mile, and it was sad. Both the overweight balding guys on stage and all the overweight balding middle aged guys in the crowd still pretending to mosh. I thought, 'this must be what it's like when our parents go to Wendover to see Three Dog Night'.

So while I enjoy(ed) many of the bands on that list, I just can't bring myself to spend $280+ to go see a bunch of guys in their 40's and 50's hobbling around screaming about how sad they are that their girlfriend left them after homeroom. But that's just me.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to sitting on my porch and yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Back in 2017 I saw The Get Up Kids on their 20th anniversary tour for Four Minute Mile, and it was sad. Both the overweight balding guys on stage and all the overweight balding middle aged guys in the crowd still pretending to mosh. I thought, 'this must be what it's like when our parents go to Wendover to see Three Dog Night'.

So while I enjoy(ed) many of the bands on that list, I just can't bring myself to spend $280+ to go see a bunch of guys in their 40's and 50's hobbling around screaming about how sad they are that their girlfriend left them after homeroom. But that's just me.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to sitting on my porch and yelling at kids to get off my lawn.
I saw korn at least 10 times in the 90's. Went and saw them last year and I was just smacked in the face with the fact that this wasn't what it used to be, or maybe I am not who I used to be. I'm with you Stephen. I'm going to remember these bands how I remember them, which is almost certainly better than they are now.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Something Corporate was what I listened to occasionally as a missionary in Spain when I was super depressed. I haven't even thought of them in many years.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I must have had a copy of "leaving through the window". It was a copy of a copy I got from an elder I shared an apartment with. Hearing a few of those songs makes me feel even more depressed than I already feel tonight...

There was an emo kid on my water polo team in Riverside CA that took me to a concert one night. I can't remember who it was but when I asked him what the show was going to be like (I wasn't a concert kid) I kinda got nervous when he told me he and his friends were all straight edge. Coming from Kearns, that meant something totally different than what it did in SoCal.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
@Paul R , JP and I all sat on the WWWY website when tickets launched last year. Hundreds of refreshes trying to add tickets to the cart with their ludicrous 'demand based pricing'. Paul was able to get (2)? tickets, JP and I got skunked.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Some good bands that I’d love to see are on that list for sure. I saw NFG a few years back on their 20 years of pop punk tour and was actually pleasantly surprised with how fun it was. I’ve seen angels and airwaves a bunch and still love watching Tom perform but Blink would be a little different for me. I mean how old are they going to be when they stop writing songs about getting drunk and being dumb? Mark is 50!!!

But seriously, Saves the Day, yellowcard and fenix tx would be cool. Lots of fun throwbacks to bands I saw over 20 years ago.

And less than Jake. I’d like that very much!

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Back in 2017 I saw The Get Up Kids on their 20th anniversary tour for Four Minute Mile, and it was sad. Both the overweight balding guys on stage and all the overweight balding middle aged guys in the crowd still pretending to mosh.

I saw korn at least 10 times in the 90's. Went and saw them last year and I was just smacked in the face with the fact that this wasn't what it used to be, or maybe I am not who I used to be.

I guess I lucked out, then.

Back in December, my wife and I drove to Reno to see Armored Saint & W.A.S.P. in concert for their 40th Anniversary tour. At one point, the lead singer of AS paused between songs to relate how surreal this tour had been for he and his band--they first began playing the nightclub scene in 1982 in LA with W.A.S.P., and their first tour way back in 1984 was as the opening act for W.A.S.P. (and Metallica--what a show that would have been!).

At any rate, this show absolutely rocked! AS was certainly decent, but my wife and I both marveled at how Blackie Lawless (the frontman of W.A.S.P.) has hardly slowed down at all--he was running all over the stage, playing and singing his guts out as if he were at least 20 years younger. This was one of the best concerts I've seen in my life.

5407CBAB-A6DF-4609-BC22-05D6A1AB3C14.jpeg

3826747C-C32C-480B-B3C9-F75B7987399C.jpeg

I only wish we had seen this concert earlier in the tour, because we would have happily seen it again if it had been possible. (There were only 3 more shows after ours, and that was it.)

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
Im guilty of loving some of these bands, The Ataris, and MXPX, the offspring, Rise Against, Lit, Zebra head, plain white t's, but they are missing Sugarcult, the mighty mighty Bosstones, rancid, me first and the gimme gimmes, The interrupters, the distillers, and nofx would be welcome additions. damn I'm an Angry punk rock nerd :) My wife and I may go to this.