Where do YOU want to go?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Stacie and I did this in July 2021 on adventure motorcycles. She surprised me for my birthday with a week and a half trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage. The moose there must be a different sub-species than we have here because they are SO much bigger. I almost creamed one that galloped in front of me after matching my speed at nearly 30mph.

View attachment 156120View attachment 156121View attachment 156122
You should have went north instead. I’ve done the Anchorage - Fairbanks route many times. It is nice, but now that I’ve done a bit of the Dalton I’m hooked. I’d love to spend a week running the whole thing.
The next good one is the drive from Fairbanks to Valdez. That’s incredible. The waterfalls will make you think you’re in Hawaii. In fact next time you should do Fairbanks to Valdez then take the fairy to Whittier and make the drive to anchorage from there. That’s would really be an amazing trip on a bike.

DAA

And I'll give you two Bewilders to one I get my Springbar, charcoal grill, table, camp chair etc. all unpacked, setup, then taken down and packed ready to go again faster than you will your RTT.

There have been a few exceptions over the years. But most RTT folks I have traveled with need way longer than I do to setup and breakdown.

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
And I'll give you two Bewilders to one I get my Springbar, charcoal grill, table, camp chair etc. all unpacked, setup, then taken down and packed ready to go again faster than you will your RTT.

There have been a few exceptions over the years. But most RTT folks I have traveled with need way longer than I do to setup and breakdown.

- DAA
I would never take that bet, especially since Mrs. Hickey is packing. I may still just take my Springbar knockoff, we’ll see.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'd be down if you're ok wit

- DAA
ha ha, I once bet a buddy of mine that I could drink a beer faster than he could set up his ARB camp chair.

I won.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You should have went north instead. I’ve done the Anchorage - Fairbanks route many times. It is nice, but now that I’ve done a bit of the Dalton I’m hooked. I’d love to spend a week running the whole thing.
The next good one is the drive from Fairbanks to Valdez. That’s incredible. The waterfalls will make you think you’re in Hawaii. In fact next time you should do Fairbanks to Valdez then take the fairy to Whittier and make the drive to anchorage from there. That’s would really be an amazing trip on a bike.
Sounds fun!
I'd love to ride to Prudhoe bay sometime. The couple who rented us bikes don't like folks to go on the unpaved Dalton anymore because it reakes havoc on the equipment and it's hard and expensive to recover if they have a breakdown. They did say after seeing us ride and our skill level they'd let us in the future but it would be an extra cost.

I'd enjoy doing the Valdez route as well.

I can personally recommend Alaskan Adventure Riders as the best rental company we've ever delt with. It's an older couple who have a couple dozen bikes that they personally maintain. They were enthusiastic and let us ride a bunch of bikes before we settled in the ADV style bikes we rode. I had a minor electrical issue at Denali park and the husband and wife drove a trailer all the way down from Fairbanks and swapped me bikes then had dinner with us. Good folks.

My wife planned the entire thing without me knowing one iota of it until about 14hrs before departure. It was a great ride! 5 days on the bikes. It would be beautiful in a car, but a bike is immeasurably more immersive. To be in it, and smell it and get rained on and be able to go up little roads is great.
We went north about a days ride from Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs and did a bunch of offshoots along the route south and went as far southeast as Alyeska. Did a bush plane over the Chugach range and the Knik glacier I think we flew over Whittier too.
IMG_20210720_130436.jpg

Houndoc

Did part of the Dalton Highway along with Danali with my daughter when she was 14 (we let each kid pick a trip to do with a parent at that age.)
Camped outside Cold Foot for a couple nights and explored north of there.
Would love to go back to drive the entire length, in winter.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I should have Dalton on my list... not only do I really want to make it to Prudhoe Bay, by doing so I'll have completed the entire length of the Pan-American Highway. I'm missing the section between Yukon River Bridge and Prudhoe.