Where in the World will he go?

rholbrook

Here you go, the truth to the duration of a mission call. By the way, this call was received today. My Nephew's call who has been out for 18 months says the exact same thing as I verified it with his mother. Also, neighbor across the street is a big wig in the missionary department laughed when I asked him about it. He didn't verify or deny it but did say that about this time before GC, the same rumor comes up every conference.

Anticipated has lots of meanings but they have been using this verbiage for at least 18 months. My wife is looking for my son's call who left like 6 years ago.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Dude, they just text the kids now to notify them of where they're going? Technology is cool and all, but that's kinda lame.

4x4_Welder

It sounds nicer than you will serve two years, or we expect you to, etc. Anticipate also tends to imply looking forward to something, rather than staring down an obligation. Better personal engagement leads to better results, and fewer washouts.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
"Anticipate" was the same verbiage used in my call back in 2002. Now I'm thinking there is also a church video with the same thing where a bunch of youth open and read aloud their letters. Can't put my finger on which video it is though.

I think the word points towards the often unforeseen circumstances that might require one to return home before the 18/24 months.

ID Bronco

It sounds nicer than you will serve two years, or we expect you to, etc. Anticipate also tends to imply looking forward to something, rather than staring down an obligation. Better personal engagement leads to better results, and fewer washouts.

I agree, I think a kid goes out, gets hurt or sick (really) and comes home feeling like a failure for a long time. That's no good, so this may help those situations.

ID Bronco

Those poor missionaries still wondering how long they will serve....
Maybe they will find out by watching October conference.

I thought about that too yesterday, maybe they have been contacted? Or will be soon, I haven't seen a pattern from the leadership of leaving people in the dark unnecessarily. I expected something more, but enjoyed it anyway.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Mine is a little confused but still wondering what will go down and when. Says he doesn't feel like he'll be there the whole two years (which alarmed his mom quite a bit esp. since he's sick today from eating fish at a members house last night :) ). I told him to not worry about it and plan on the 24 months but work like he's only got 12 months to go. We'll see how it goes.

Houndoc

I thought about that too yesterday, maybe they have been contacted? Or will be soon, I haven't seen a pattern from the leadership of leaving people in the dark unnecessarily. I expected something more, but enjoyed it anyway.
I think the reality is that the supposed vague calls are nothing but a myth. Never talked to anyone who actually saw one.

Mine is a little confused but still wondering what will go down and when. Says he doesn't feel like he'll be there the whole two years (which alarmed his mom quite a bit esp. since he's sick today from eating fish at a members house last night :) ). I told him to not worry about it and plan on the 24 months but work like he's only got 12 months to go. We'll see how it goes.
Again, don't think any change is going to happen soon, and if it does will likely impact future missionaries not those already out.

Assuming my daughter's call (hopefully tomorrow, but we have been saying that for 6 weeks) will be for 18 months.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
^Same^

I'll believe it when I see it. One of my YM is gearing up to go this fall so I guess I'll see one then.