Where is best to put tie downs on trailer

kirk86CJ

I put the wood deck on last night my trailer last night. I am ready to deal with the tie downs. I am thinking we will weld some nuts under the frame/crossmembers, then make some bracket to bolt down through the floor. (removable). The trailer is big enough for a jeep and two four wheelers (18 ft deck), or a jeep and a few motorcyles. Any scenario, I think the jeep will always be in the middle, with bikes/4 wheelers in front and/or back. This makes me want to avoid puting my anchor points on trailer (for the jeep) on the very front or back because the straps/chains will be in the way of the 4 wheelers/bikes. I am thinking I will attach to the trailer about 16"-20" in from the front/back.

My qustions is should I make the anchor points close to the outside edge of the trailer so the chain will be like \ / ? On our other trailer, the trailer achor points are straight angles I I, - it has worked great. The difference is, the old trailer is narrow, so the fenders are pinching the rear tires to keep the jeep from shifting side to side if it ever whipped bad. The new trailer is full with, so would having the angles more diagnal (not X, but \ /) increase the likelyhood of the jeep not moving?

Thanks
Kirk

kirk86CJ said:
I put the wood deck on last night my trailer last night. I am ready to deal with the tie downs. I am thinking we will weld some nuts under the frame/crossmembers, then make some bracket to bolt down through the floor. (removable). The trailer is big enough for a jeep and two four wheelers (18 ft deck), or a jeep and a few motorcyles. Any scenario, I think the jeep will always be in the middle, with bikes/4 wheelers in front and/or back. This makes me want to avoid puting my anchor points on trailer (for the jeep) on the very front or back because the straps/chains will be in the way of the 4 wheelers/bikes. I am thinking I will attach to the trailer about 16"-20" in from the front/back.

My qustions is should I make the anchor points close to the outside edge of the trailer so the chain will be like \ / ? On our other trailer, the trailer achor points are straight angles I I, - it has worked great. The difference is, the old trailer is narrow, so the fenders are pinching the rear tires to keep the jeep from shifting side to side if it ever whipped bad. The new trailer is full with, so would having the angles more diagnal (not X, but \ /) increase the likelyhood of the jeep not moving?

Thanks
Kirk

what do you attach to on your trailer? Are you a frame guy or axle guy? Could you attach on your frame a couple feet behind the front tires / in front of the rear tires, and angle out to the outside of the frame...with the strap passing right next to the tire?

I've gone straight forward and backward on mine, no side to side movement, but I'd like to have it so I hook on to the frame and strap it to the outside of the trailer frame right even with the corners of my rig, all straps angling out; I need to change the attachment points on the front of my rig to do that. Actually, I used to chain the rear axle down, to the sides right behind the rear tires (deflecting the tires a little) but I just strap the frame straight back to the back of the trailer. Wanna quad on there someday, gonna have to do the same thing you are.

J Kimmel

I prefer to attach my runner down at the axles. I welded heavy d-rings at the 4 corners of my trailer. Straps go over the axle and clip onto the d-rings, they are on the steel corners on the deck, if that makes sense(wood deck).

Jate

Speed beats up Sparky.
kirk86CJ said:

Thanks
Kirk

I have a 20' trailer to haul my Bronco and 2 ATVs. Are you sure you want to put the Jeep in the middle? I prefer to have the rig in the rear with the engine over the axles. This helps distribute the weight and allows me to see the ATVs at all times. Just something to think about.
Did you build that trailer yourself? Looks great! What is the weight capacity?

JT

Jate said:
I have a 20' trailer to haul my Bronco and 2 ATVs. Are you sure you want to put the Jeep in the middle? I prefer to have the rig in the rear with the engine over the axles. This helps distribute the weight and allows me to see the ATVs at all times. Just something to think about.
Did you build that trailer yourself? Looks great! What is the weight capacity?

JT

how does it all balance out? what's your bronco weight distribution? how much to the atv's weigh? (probably my biggest question).

when I was doodling with building a trailer to fit a popup and my jeep, the best setup was as you describe, with the popup at the front and the jeep at the rear, with the axles slightly moved back.

With my current setup, I probably pull my jeep too far forward, but it barely moves my burb AND I use eq bars. Wondering if I could fit an atv in front of my jeep if I centered the jeep over the axles, jeep is nearly balanced at 2300 fr / 2000-2500 rr depending on gear & peeps. Hmmm, mebbe I'll go weigh it today at lunch.