Where my detectors at??

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Any metal detector hobbyists? I remember giving it a go as a child a few times with my grandpa. A little while back, my cousin gave grandpas old detector to me. I decided this week that I need to use it or get rid of it.
However, I believe the batteries are toast. I think I am going to buy something a bit newer.
I need a new hobby and item to maintain about as much as I need another hernia.. but we do a lot of camping in places where I think the kids will have a lot of fun detecting. I have ordered a ‘bounty Hunter’ tk4 detector.

I’ve got this old coinmaster 6000 detector. Does anyone know if it has value or if it is trash? I don’t want to toss a collectors item or holy grail of detectors on accident. It’s got a couple different sized heads and a case.

E859C2C6-D897-441F-BACA-5B0A77675F7F.jpeg3D556E9B-0427-404D-9731-AB7B94D91AFF.jpegBB0A36AF-8393-4FC8-A0EF-CC0A383419AA.jpeg

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've got a couple detectors and we take them out pretty often. It can be a lot of fun when you are finding things, but probably the most frustrating thing on the planet when you don't find anything. No clue how good of a detector that one is, but the same model is on ebay for $120.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I picked up an Equinox 800 a few months back but my first time out with it I broke my leg and got sidelined for a while.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I rock my detector from time to time. I was pretty active with one of the local detector clubs a few years back, still meaning to get back there :D

Sorry, don’t know if that is worth anything. Unfortunately it looks like John @ Chucks Detectors in Murray closed the doors last year :( He has a neat collection of old units and would have known.

lhracing

I rock my detector from time to time. I was pretty active with one of the local detector clubs a few years back, still meaning to get back there :D

Sorry, don’t know if that is worth anything. Unfortunately it looks like John @ Chucks Detectors in Murray closed the doors last year :( He has a neat collection of old units and would have known.

What club were you going out with? I bought a detector a few years ago and would like to get more into using it.

DAA

^^^^ That's a thing, for sure.

A machine with good iron separation and target ID, if I can learn how to use it, might, possibly, alleviate a lot of digging trash. Actually, my ancient White's XLT, I can avoid most trash in many situations. For coin shooting in a park, I can dig nothing but coins if I really want to (but I'd miss the occasional ring by doing so...). But relic hunting sites with a lot of junk, and especially iron junk, it just chatters and nothing I can seem do do about it, except dig trash.

My XLT was state of the art 20 something years ago - and expensive as hell at the time. But it ain't 20 something years ago anymore. I'm intrigued by the new (state of the art) detector tech. Budget and not being an idiot wise, I think the Equinox 800 looks like what I should get. Being stupid, the CTX 3030 really tempts me. I'm about 50/50 lifetime on being really stupid.

- DAA

DAA

I went on a park hunt this morning with my old machine. Spent a bit over an hour. Found two quarters, one dime, one nickel, one penny. One junk but interesting owl pendant. Dug up 12 complete trash targets, mostly pull tabs. With my machine at least, if you want to find a ring - and I have found a double handful over the years (both silver and gold) - you just have to dig some pull tabs even when you are pretty sure it's just another pull tab. But you can't dig them all, else that's all you'd do.

But anyway... It occurred to me, and not in a good way, that metal detecting is like Pokémon Go for old men...

- DAA

DAA

Quick Pokémon hunt this afternoon. With a borrowed Equinox 800 - thanks Eric!

thumbnail_image0.jpg

Ain't much to look at. 85 cents and an iron encrusted Old Timer. But it was fun anyway. I'm going to get a machine like this for myself though. It's just way more fun to use than my old one. Compared to my old one, it's a little bit like going from CB to Ham. Big step up in power/range=depth. Lot more granular target information and separation coming in - easier to tell some stuff apart, like nickels and pull tabs. Goes a lot deeper and identifies even better than my old XLT. This was a crappy little trash infested park with underground EMI to deal with and has seen plenty of detectors. That knife had been in the ground a long time. It was 10" deep a few feet away from one of only two picnic tables (trash all around it). That's a bad ass detector.

I only dug two pull tabs and I was pretty sure both of them were going to be pull tabs. And I was pretty sure the nickel was going to be a nickel. Could NEVER tell nickels and pull tabs apart with my old machine. Gold rings still sound like pull tabs though. Damnit...

Getting to be an old fart, I reckon...

- DAA

DAA

Had it in P1 factory preset. Which I believe discriminates negative TID numbers, most ferrous. I was paying a lot of attention to the target ID numbers in deciding whether to dig or not.

- DAA

DAA

I scored a new detector last week. Took it with me coyote hunting this weekend. Got to try it out for a little while in a couple of spots. The fourth hole I dug was this one.

20210925_Camping-3.jpg

20210925_Camping-1.jpg

All from the same hole. A .22 shell, a .250-3000 case and a 1956 silver dime. From 10" deep.

Tried it in another spot later. Dug mostly really old iron stuff, which was so old it was actually pretty cool. And then dug up a smashed .44 Henry rimfire case. Thought that was awesome and said "too bad it wasn't unfired!". Next hole, yeah, who could of seen it coming, an 130ish year old unfired .44 Henry cartridge! I was pretty stoked to find that.

20210925_Camping-2.jpg

20210925_Camping-4.jpg

Tried a couple other spots for a brief, found a couple modernish coins and some really old buttons and copper rivets off old Levis and stuff like that. And a bunch of square nails. A bunch of square nails. Really didn't spend that much time detecting or dig that many targets, but this new machine seems pretty awesome and I had fun playing with it.

- DAA