Where my detectors at??

DAA

Metal detecting also begets a micro junk collection. Kind of neat, I can have a junk collection and Cindy doesn't have to see it (and say something about it) every time she leaves the house.

IMG_3652W_1.jpg

Junk jewelry. And a couple roached wheatbacks and a tax token.

IMG_3648W.jpg

Old and very old buttons and rivets. Ranging in age from 1940's to 1870's.

IMG_3650W.jpg

1880's (or older) ammo.

IMG_3651W.jpg

And the not junk stuff (not very valuable, either, but not junk). Clad, copper pennies and the few pieces of silver I've found so far. There is an ear ring in one of the above pics that is actually 10k gold plated, but the plating amounts to so little gold I still consider it junk.

IMG_3647W.jpg

Have been having fun playing with a detector again.

- DAA

The_Lobbster

I've always wanted to get into detecting. My manager at an Ace Hardware I worked at in high school in Nebraska was big time into it. He found some gold coins in the bottom of what used to be a man made lake that was dammed up early late 1800's to early 1900's in a Methodist owned/run recreation park. That is long gone, and it's now a city park, but you can still see where the lake was on google maps. Kind of an interesting little side story somewhat related to metal detecting.

Attachments

• lakeview-1024x682.jpg
    lakeview-1024x682.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 12
  • wilderness park.jpg
    wilderness park.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 13
  • epworthmap-745x1024.jpg
    epworthmap-745x1024.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 13

DAA

It's a Utah tax token in rough shape. Made from 1937-42. Used to pay sales tax of less than one cent on small purchases - to avoid rounding up and paying a full cent tax on a five or ten cent purchase.

IMG_3649W.jpg

The two toasted looking coins, one is a 20 Centimo from Peru and the other is some sort of gaming token or something - it says "Naruto" on it?

- DAA

rholbrook

It's a Utah tax token in rough shape. Made from 1937-42. Used to pay sales tax of less than one cent on small purchases - to avoid rounding up and paying a full cent tax on a five or ten cent purchase.

IMG_3649W.jpg

The two toasted looking coins, one is a 20 Centimo from Peru and the other is some sort of gaming token or something - it says "Naruto" on it?

- DAA
Still very cool

Reactions: DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Metal detecting also begets a micro junk collection. Kind of neat, I can have a junk collection and Cindy doesn't have to see it (and say something about it) every time she leaves the house.

IMG_3652W_1.jpg

Junk jewelry. And a couple roached wheatbacks and a tax token.

IMG_3648W.jpg

Old and very old buttons and rivets. Ranging in age from 1940's to 1870's.

IMG_3650W.jpg

1880's (or older) ammo.

IMG_3651W.jpg

And the not junk stuff (not very valuable, either, but not junk). Clad, copper pennies and the few pieces of silver I've found so far. There is an ear ring in one of the above pics that is actually 10k gold plated, but the plating amounts to so little gold I still consider it junk.

IMG_3647W.jpg

Have been having fun playing with a detector again.

- DAA

My old man would wet his pants over those coins. Shoot me the details on dates and mints and he'd love to assess values on them for you. If they have real potential collector value, he'd need to know a "grade". Maybe there's some numismatic nerdiness that you have already but my dad loves this stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: DAA

DAA

Naw... Those are all modern clad and all in roached condition. I can't imagine any of them are worth above face value. The copper pennies, maybe there is a date and mint combo in there worth something, but again, condition on all of them is roached out. I figure they're worth melt value.

The one silver dime found so far, the first time I used the machine, is a 1956 Roosevelt. Condition is probably not even close to collector value, if there is a collector value. I figure it at melt value too. But, I've not inventoried the dates and mint marks or tried to look any of them up, either. Maybe something to do sometime over the winter.

- DAA

DAA

BTW... Zincolns... None in the pictures. I've got a bag of them though. Pulling everything out to see what I have so far and taking those pictures, I realized, I have no reason to be keeping stinky zinkies. I try to avoid digging them already, but I think I'm going to start putting them in my nail apron with the pull tabs and bottlecaps and just throw them away.

I'll keep every copper penny I dig though!

- DAA

DAA

Look! I'm a silversmith! :rofl:

thumbnail_IMG_0674.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0677.jpg

Needle nose, 10mm thick wall deep socket, mallet, dremel, dish soap and tooth brush. Not trying to be too careful or spend any time - that's not more than 15 minutes work. I think with a few proper tools and some patience, repairing old rings I find might be pretty fun too.

- DAA

DAA

And now for something a bit out of place.

thumbnail_IMG_0678.jpg

I'm accustomed to digging fired pistol bullets in west side parks. I've even found a couple in parks in Bountiful.

But finding three, fired, 600 gr., .50 caliber bullets, spaced about 75 feet apart, all about six inches deep, all uncovered in the earth with the point of the bullet facing east. Hmmm... That's kinda interesting!

Gang? Redneck? I'd guess one of the two. Might lean slightly towards redneck, having grown up in that neighborhood, I know at least back then, the rednecks were likely to be better armed than the gangsters. Probably still are.

But for damn sure, somebody, at some point in time, fired off some .50 BMG rounds into that park. I'd be surprised if there aren't still more buried, I didn't make any particular effort to find them specifically.

Oh, found another Roosevelt silver dime too! And a $1 and $5 bill folded together just laying on the ground. And a bunch of clad. Had intended to check the warm spring, but it was full of naked hobos, so I skipped that...

- DAA

DAA

Pulled a 1919 Merc yesterday. Place that is supposed to be cleaned out by other detectors long ago. Apparently not quite... This new machine seems to have a thing for deep silver. Based on the tones, and how faint the signal was, I was pretty sure a deep silver dime was what I was digging, and it was.

untitled-5W.jpg

- DAA