Where to get gears?

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on!
It's amazing how bigger tires take you out of your powerband and leave you gutless and cursing as grandma's in tunaboats smoke you going up hills. What I'm saying is that I need gears! Where is a good place to regear the ring and pinion? I have the stock ZJ gearing (3.55 I think) and I'm thinking of going with 4.56's. Who does a good job at a reasonable price around here?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by spencurai
4 wheel parts up in SLC has a good rep but i am not sure about their prices. :D (go 5.13s)

Their Reputation just went down the tubes, as far as quality of labor is concerned.

I bought my truck with 5.29's which the previous owner had installed by 4WPW. 1 year after the install, the rearend starts making noise. I pulled it apart and find my Ring and Pinion are chewed up. The Pinion has about 3 teeth chipped off.....

I bought new gears from the guys at RockLogic 4x4 and they hooked me up with JR at Ms.Conceptions in WVC, to do the install. When he finished up with the new gears, he had me look at the old gears. The Pinion was set 0.050" of a inch too deep, (which is a large margin of error). Thats why they eventually self destructed. You can see in the wear pattern where the ring gear had been grinding away at the Pinion.

I took the old gears to 4WPW and they said they could do nothing about it, since I wasn't the original purchaser. That's logical, but for me, what it comes down to is that I will never have 4WPW do any labor for me. I'll still shop there and buy parts when I need them, but they cost me quite a chunk of change that shouldn't have been spent. Someone else will be getting my buisness when I need labor, probably JR.

ewander

Was it JR Ehley that did your gears? He set up my 4.88's and did an awesome job. If he is working there right now, I will definitely take my stuff there!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yeah, JR did them the second time (the RIGHT way). He was really good to me, pulling me in to show me exactally why and how the old gears went bad.

Caleb

Yes JR owns Ms. Conceptions and is a stand up guy...I have heard nothing but good stuff about him and his quality of work...I wouldn't hesitate to take any of my junk there for him to work on

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on!
Sweet input guys! Thanks. I'm right next to six states and I'll check them out. I bought some wheels from JR at Ms. Conceptions. From what I've seen he does amazing work and I'm glad everyone else thinks so too. Any opinion on Rocky Mountain High?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Go through Rocklogic to get your gears Carl hooked me up, I also got mine done by JR at Ms.Conceptions they did a really good job.

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on!
So about how much do think the gears and labor should cost? Just a round about figure so I have an idea is fine.

Caleb

Well a general figure for labor is about $200 per axle...you can usually find it cheaper but expect $400 for the install then for gears I would expect about $200 an axle (it maybe a lot cheaper as I have never bought gears for a 30 or 35) so total you are looking about $800 with no locker...I would say if you end-up $800-$1000 you are in line (I paid $800 to regear my 44 and 9" and add a spool to my 9" back when I had them but I got buy one get one free on the install through 4WPW, I no longer have these axles)

ewander

Hey, if you decide to stick with the Dana 35, I have one for sale for $350. It has the nice detroit locker and the superior 4.88 gears.

Too Far

parts is parts
I am another happy customer of JR's. I gladly forked over a couplel of bills for my front 44 gear install. The nicotine buzz is free!