Which 40 is good these days?

Tonkaman

I am in the market for tires up to 42” tall. My brain automatically went to BFG KM3 just because they seem like a great all around tire. Apparently BFG is so backlogged that they decided to stop making them for the rest of the year so they can catch up on other tires.

That leads me to look for a suitable replacement. The 40” market is a bit more limited than I thought it was. I don’t have much experience with most of what’s out there so I figured I’d solicit the input of my RME homies.

Keep in mind these tires are going on a Ram power wagon that will be used exclusively for recreational purposes, no commuting. The truck will be used to wheel Offroad primarily, but also needs to get me hundreds of miles down the freeway to and from those places.

My quick internet searches bring up the following options. What are your thoughts on these? Have I missed any good cantidates? I didn’t list anything from Toyo or Nitto because I’m just not impressed with them Offroad.

- Maxxis Trepadors radials
C51E7529-8BB8-4E1C-91C4-C6EE6B71F072.jpeg
- Micky Thompson Baja MTZ
9D0B39B4-7286-4ACF-AC13-0629EDF3D28F.jpeg

- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
7D114B07-175C-44F4-812D-B1F86D9AF584.jpeg
- Goodyear Wrangler MTR
BD95463F-1899-4DE6-AA7A-8A97617EABE6.png
- cooper Doscoverer STT Pro
BD95463F-1899-4DE6-AA7A-8A97617EABE6.png

- Yokohama Geolander MT
DC714F60-7081-4E5D-8208-4E123CB9D857.jpeg

- Pro Comp Extreme MT2
42E343B3-C1C6-4A10-B5D4-EAD15884CBDC.jpeg

Attachments

• 5772E237-8894-4DAC-A1C0-E7FB3126155D.jpeg
    5772E237-8894-4DAC-A1C0-E7FB3126155D.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 13

Tonkaman

Sorry nittos for the win, got 30000 miles on the mud grapplers on my jk and love them just bought another set for my tj
I’ve actually had those mud grapplers before. Your right I didn’t dislike them, but I assumed there were better options. Other than noise I wasn’t disappointed

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Could go budget and do the milestar Patagonia. I put the 38” on the jeep and have been super happy both on and off road. One of the ugliest tires made but the price is right.

A buddy bought them in the 40” and is happy as well

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I wouldn't put a 40 on the PW for how you'll use it. I support it because it looks so sweet! But I think you won't be as happy as a 37 or 38 max. It won't ride, turn, gas mileage or handle as well.
If you do however, I would absolutely eliminate all the load range "C" tires from your options with a 3/4 ton truck.

The practical side of me says run out the factory tire first and see if you "need" 40s.

Tonkaman

I wouldn't put a 40 on the PW for how you'll use it. I support it because it looks so sweet! But I think you won't be as happy as a 37 or 38 max. It won't ride, turn, gas mileage or handle as well.
If you do however, I would absolutely eliminate all the load range "C" tires from your options with a 3/4 ton truck.

The practical side of me says run out the factory tire first and see if you "need" 40s.

You may not be wrong, but I’m going to give it a go anyway :p If I regret it I can always go back down a few sizes.

I was shocked to see that every option except the Yokohama are load range C. I would have expected bigger tires to be made tougher.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
You may not be wrong, but I’m going to give it a go anyway :p If I regret it I can always go back down a few sizes.

I was shocked to see that every option except the Yokohama are load range C. I would have expected bigger tires to be made tougher.
D and E are made primarily for heavy towing and hauling. I guess they figure guys running 40s aren't doing much of either.

I don't have any personal experience with tires as big as you're going, but KM3s and Cooper STTs would be at the top of my list. I've never run a tire from either company that I wasn't happy with and would buy again.

ID Bronco

I just upgraded tires and tried to get the Baja Boss, but they were forever backordered in my size, so I went with the Yokohama Geolander mt's I really like them. They are pretty quiet and bite great. I siped them and they do well in the snow. I don't have enough miles to know on longevity.

I support 40's 100%

DesertRam

I've had 295/75 Yokohama Geolander MTs on my 2006 Ram 2500 since November 2019. They have been great - mud, snow, sand, whatever. I only have about 10k miles, give or take, but they still look great and will probably age out before I wear them out. I'd recommend them.

Tonkaman

@mesha are you still in a love affair with trepadors? I seem to remember those being in high praise a few years back.

It seems like there is positive feedback for nearly all the available tires out there. Perhaps I’ll just have to make the choice based off of something like cost or weight.