Which TJ steering upgrade?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So the time has come to discuss steering upgrades for my TJ.

I have some pretty bad death wobble between 40 and 45 so instead of trying to replace TRE's which would cost somewhere in the area of about $200, I will just spend a little more to upgrade it all.

I kinda like the rugged ridge kit at $220 and I have seen a few others around that price range I think. Currie's kit is crazy expensive and still uses an adjustment sleeve on the drag link which I don't like. Are there any other brands I should be looking at?

i have the currie set up and i love it .. got it slighty use and still in almost new cond i think its worth the coin . i was in ur shoes a while back and i decided to go with the currie bc of the beef and the support from currie . idk just my 2 cents ..

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
i have the currie set up and i love it .. got it slighty use and still in almost new cond i think its worth the coin . i was in ur shoes a while back and i decided to go with the currie bc of the beef and the support from currie . idk just my 2 cents ..

I have no doubt that the Currie kit is pretty beefy just like the rest of their stuff. I just don't understand why they would stick with the "stock style" adjustment sleeve. Even if it is beefed up quite a bit it just comes off as a weak link to me.

I guess I would just rather have solid DOM throughout with threaded TRE's on each link end.

RockChucker

i had the currie setup. while it is beefy, i had a major complaint with it. it is the same as the stock setup, but when the TRE's wear out, i couldn't find any replacements except through currie. oh and the draglink's tre is built into it just like the stock one, so even if you could find ends for the others, you still have to buy that from them, and IIRC it is more than $200. i would go a different way.

i don't know what you are thinking, but my cousin got the draglink and tie rod set up off of a zj. it bolts right up, and it is a lot beefier. it is still the 'stock' style, but i think the adjusters are a little different. i'm pretty sure he got it super cheap on ksl or something too...

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
i had the currie setup. while it is beefy, i had a major complaint with it. it is the same as the stock setup, but when the TRE's wear out, i couldn't find any replacements except through currie. oh and the draglink's tre is built into it just like the stock one, so even if you could find ends for the others, you still have to buy that from them, and IIRC it is more than $200. i would go a different way.

i don't know what you are thinking, but my cousin got the draglink and tie rod set up off of a zj. it bolts right up, and it is a lot beefier. it is still the 'stock' style, but i think the adjusters are a little different. i'm pretty sure he got it super cheap on ksl or something too...

I completely agree about the Currie setup. If I am going to keep the stock style adjuster I might as well do the ZJ setup, which I had thought about and it is a decently cheap alternative.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ruff Stuff has those sweet offset TRE's now. I wonder if you could use those to convert to a Wagoneer style steering setup.
Offset%20tie%20rod.jpg

Last edited:

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
I just put on a steering kit from iron rock off road last night. Solid stock tie rod and drag link. Its a little different setup, but is supposed to be pretty good. I will try to post some pics tonight.

Venture13

I like the crossover steering setups by replacing the outer knuckle, eliminates bump steer. One straight drag link and a separate tie rod. Ream and upgrade to 1 ton TRE Tie Rod Ends from the local parts store, buy the weld bungs/tube and be done..

Ballistic has some good steering stuff for a DIY type guy. Use the word "Pirate" in the promo code for a discount.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
...old thread.

Just putting my Dana 30 together and just can’t talk myself into bolting on the stick steering at all. V8 ZJ still decent for the cost or is there something betterer out there for the $.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
find a WJ and take the knuckles and then have Ilean make you the rest of the parts... He did my upgrade parts and they are beefy!
I will find my tread on here and post it here so you can see the part numbers and all.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
...old thread.

Just putting my Dana 30 together and just can’t talk myself into bolting on the stick steering at all. V8 ZJ still decent for the cost or is there something betterer out there for the $.

I ran the v8 ZJ steering with both of my previous Jeeps and worked fine with 35's on the trail, but on the street even with the dropped pitman there was more bump steer than I liked. I do have a good used JCR setup in the shed that I never got around to using before selling the Jeep, let me know if you want to take a look at it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I ran the v8 ZJ steering with both of my previous Jeeps and worked fine with 35's on the trail, but on the street even with the dropped pitman there was more bump steer than I liked. I do have a good used JCR setup in the shed that I never got around to using before selling the Jeep, let me know if you want to take a look at it.

My kid’s TJ may be interested in that if I’m not. How much are you wanting for that?